|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17: Searching for Solutions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kent Campbell began testing whom for the Lassa virus in Chapter 4?
(a) Irish nuns.
(b) German soldiers.
(c) Canadian hospital workers.
(d) Iranian refugees.
2. What is a virus that is duplicated in a host cell using the reverse transcriptase enzyme to produce DNA from its RNA genome?
(d) Slow virus.
3. What leader in infectious disease was called in to test the deadly virus against samples of thousands of viruses in his lab in Chapter 3: "Monkey Kidneys and the Ebbing Tides"?
(a) Jodi Casals.
(b) Uwe Brinkmann.
(c) Clint Nyamurkunge.
(d) Daniel Elmer Salmon.
4. According to the author in Chapter 13, what were vital to cell transformation?
(a) Plasmids and transposons.
(b) Antiviral cascades.
(c) Protein inhibitors.
(d) Amino acids.
5. When was the CDC founded?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the term antibiotic first coined?
2. Blackwater fever was caused by the overuse of what substance?
3. The Aswan High Dam was constructed during what decade?
4. What is a nucleoside analog reverse-transcriptase inhibitor used for the treatment of HIV/AIDS?
5. To what drugs was the herpes epidemic resistant?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)