|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17: Searching for Solutions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An increase in sand flies resulted in an increase in what disease, according to the author in Chapter 9?
(a) Pneumocystis pneumonia.
(b) Dengue fever.
2. Chapter 1: "Machupo," Karl Johnson found himself deathly ill with what disease?
(a) Bolivian hemorrhagic fever.
(c) Pneumocystis pneumonia.
(d) Yellow fever.
3. Laurie Garrett researched for The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance as a fellow at what institution?
(a) The University of California, Los Angeles.
(b) The Harvard School of Public Health.
(c) The University of California, Santa Cruz.
(d) The Yale Public Health Academy.
4. What is a virus that is duplicated in a host cell using the reverse transcriptase enzyme to produce DNA from its RNA genome?
(b) Slow virus.
5. The hantavirus was first discovered during what war?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Gulf War.
(d) The Korean War.
Short Answer Questions
1. German authorities began to argue with the authorities of ___________ over the Lassa virus in Chapter 4.
2. What country sought to improve its own infrastructures with little funding, relying instead on education?
3. By what decade does the author write that AIDS was an epidemic in the book's Introduction?
4. Which United States Representative showed that the poor areas of India were already seeing an epidemic by 1991?
5. Leprosy has affected humanity for over how many years?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)