|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin believe is wrong with Mary when she awakens frightened?
2. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
3. What do Mary and Colin hear as they depart the boat dock?
4. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
5. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mary and Colin's conversations compare to their lovemaking?
2. Describe the scene between Robert and Mary at the bookcase.
3. Describe the interactions between Mary and Colin while they ride the river taxi. How are these different than their earlier encounters?
4. What does Colin confess to Mary as they are sitting on the beach? How does Mary react?
5. Describe the process of Mary realizing that Colin was in the photograph at Robert's apartment
6. What does Mary find in Robert and Caroline's bedroom? What is the source of this?
7. Why do Mary and Colin leave late for the beach? What is the motivation behind their change of plans?
8. Why doesn't Mary respond much to Caroline's stories? What is likely the source of her silence?
9. How do Mary and Caroline's views on theatre differ? How are they the same?
10. How does Mary's reaction to Robert's photograph differ from Colin's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Comfort of Strangers presents two very different visions of romantic relationships. In your essay, compare and contrast the two couples in the novel focusing on:
1) the dynamics of their relationship
2) their ideals about love
3) their ideals about relationships between men and women.
Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the men and women in this novel. How are the female characters similar/different? How are the male characters similar/different? Then discuss why you think the author presents this variety of male and female characters in the novel. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is loss and confusion. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)