|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary leave the morgue?
2. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
3. What does Caroline say makes her feel more efficient?
4. Why do Mary and Colin "sicken" when they use the word "relationship"?
5. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
Essay Topic 1
Despite the warning signs Mary and Colin are given about Robert and Caroline's motives, the couple still remains in their company. In your essay:
1) describe at least two "warnings" that should have drawn Mary and Colin's attention to the danger they were about to encounter
2) discuss how Mary and Colin choose to react instead
3) discuss what you think (as a reader) motivates the couple to ignore these signs.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of The Comfort of Strangers strongly influences the plot of the novel. Discuss the role that the setting plays in this novel. Focus on how it influences the choices and actions of the characters. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes in this novel is the concept of gender roles. Discuss the ways that this theme plays out in the novel and the overarching message about gender that the author is trying to make. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)