|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
2. How does Caroline characterize Mary and Colin as a couple?
3. How do Mary and Colin act towards one another as they approach their destination?
4. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
5. Why do Mary and Colin abandon the spot they initially choose to set up on at the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is sexuality. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of The Comfort of Strangers strongly influences the plot of the novel. Discuss the role that the setting plays in this novel. Focus on how it influences the choices and actions of the characters. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
While Mary's children never appear in the novel, their influence is felt on the story. In your essay:
1) describe Mary's children and their life circumstances.
2) discuss at least two events where the children play a role in the scene
3) discuss the significance of the children in the scene. What do they represent?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)