|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
2. What is notable about the patrons of Robert's bar on this particular night?
3. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
4. Why does Robert idolize his father and grandfather?
5. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Robert, how do the roles of men and women differ now from the time when his father was alive?
2. What happens to Caroline the first time she attempts to leave the apartment after her back is broken? What factors prevent her from returning to the apartment?
3. Why do Mary and Colin leave late for the beach? What is the motivation behind their change of plans?
4. What does Robert ultimately do to Colin? Why does Colin consent to this?
5. Describe Mary and Colin's routine for the days following their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment.
6. What do Robert and Caroline initially do to Colin? How does he prevent this?
7. Describe the evolution of the sexual dynamics between Robert and Caroline.
8. What is wrong with Mary at the beginning of this chapter? What does Caroline tell Colin is wrong with her? What does Colin think they need to do?
9. Describe the two times that Mary and Colin discuss Robert's photograph of Colin in this chapter. How are they different?
10. What does Mary intend to do when she goes to the morgue? What does she do instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The human body plays an important role in this novel. Discuss several situations where the body is central to the plot of the story. Focus on what the human body is serving as a symbol of at that point in the novel. Be sure to cite specific details from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
While Mary's children never appear in the novel, their influence is felt on the story. In your essay:
1) describe Mary's children and their life circumstances.
2) discuss at least two events where the children play a role in the scene
3) discuss the significance of the children in the scene. What do they represent?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of The Comfort of Strangers strongly influences the plot of the novel. Discuss the role that the setting plays in this novel. Focus on how it influences the choices and actions of the characters. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)