|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
2. Why does Mary awaken with a shout early one morning?
3. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
4. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
5. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary and Colin's routine for the days following their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment.
2. How does Colin's experience with Robert at the bar compare to Mary's experience with Caroline in the apartment?
3. What does Colin say in response to Robert's monologue on gender relations? How does Robert respond to Colin's comment?
4. What changes about Colin's appearance in this chapter? How does Robert react to this change? How does Mary react?
5. What is Mary's fantasy of "subjection and humiliation" for Colin? What is Colin's fantasy for Mary?
6. Describe the evolution of the sexual dynamics between Robert and Caroline.
7. Why doesn't Mary respond much to Caroline's stories? What is likely the source of her silence?
8. How do the police react to Mary's statement about Colin's murder? Why?
9. What does Mary discover in the apartment when she awakens?
10. Describe the interactions between Mary and Colin while they ride the river taxi. How are these different than their earlier encounters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Mary and Colin's relationship changes significantly. In your essay:
1) describe their relationship at the beginning of the novel.
2) describe their relationship at the end of the novel
3) discuss the changes that occur in their relationship
4) discuss what influences these changes.
Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
While Mary's children never appear in the novel, their influence is felt on the story. In your essay:
1) describe Mary's children and their life circumstances.
2) discuss at least two events where the children play a role in the scene
3) discuss the significance of the children in the scene. What do they represent?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is loss and confusion. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)