|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
2. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
3. Why does Robert meet with his bar manager after he and Colin enter the bar?
4. What does Mary whisper to Colin when he and Robert return to the apartment?
5. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert hold Colin's hand as they walk to the bar? What does he tell people about their relationship?
2. What changes about Colin's appearance in this chapter? How does Robert react to this change? How does Mary react?
3. What does Mary intend to do when she goes to the morgue? What does she do instead?
4. Describe the two times that Mary and Colin discuss Robert's photograph of Colin in this chapter. How are they different?
5. What do Robert and Caroline initially do to Colin? How does he prevent this?
6. What does Colin say in response to Robert's monologue on gender relations? How does Robert respond to Colin's comment?
7. What is Mary's fantasy of "subjection and humiliation" for Colin? What is Colin's fantasy for Mary?
8. How does Colin's experience with Robert at the bar compare to Mary's experience with Caroline in the apartment?
9. What is wrong with Mary at the beginning of this chapter? What does Caroline tell Colin is wrong with her? What does Colin think they need to do?
10. What does Robert ultimately do to Colin? Why does Colin consent to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of The Comfort of Strangers strongly influences the plot of the novel. Discuss the role that the setting plays in this novel. Focus on how it influences the choices and actions of the characters. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two main settings of the novel: Robert and Caroline's apartment and Mary and Colin's hotel room. Focus on:
1) the characteristics of the settings
2) the influence that the setting asserts on the plot of the novel
3) the ways that the setting reflects the characters "living" in it.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The past is essential to Robert's development as a character. Discuss at least three events/people from the past that influenced Robert's character. Focus on describing the event as well as discussing how the event determined the person Robert becomes. Be sure to cite specific details from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)