|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
2. How does Caroline react when Robert returns home from the bar?
3. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
4. Why does Colin quickly swim out to Mary?
5. Why is Caroline trapped in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary's reaction to Robert's photograph differ from Colin's?
2. What does Mary discover in the apartment when she awakens?
3. According to Robert, how do the roles of men and women differ now from the time when his father was alive?
4. Describe the process of Mary realizing that Colin was in the photograph at Robert's apartment
5. What does Caroline request of Colin? Why?
6. Describe the two times that Mary and Colin discuss Robert's photograph of Colin in this chapter. How are they different?
7. Why does Robert hold Colin's hand as they walk to the bar? What does he tell people about their relationship?
8. Describe the evolution of the sexual dynamics between Robert and Caroline.
9. Describe Mary and Colin's routine for the days following their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment.
10. What is Mary's fantasy of "subjection and humiliation" for Colin? What is Colin's fantasy for Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Mary and Colin's relationship changes significantly. In your essay:
1) describe their relationship at the beginning of the novel.
2) describe their relationship at the end of the novel
3) discuss the changes that occur in their relationship
4) discuss what influences these changes.
Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in this novel is the concept of gender roles. Discuss the ways that this theme plays out in the novel and the overarching message about gender that the author is trying to make. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is loss and confusion. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)