|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary fall asleep in Caroline and Robert's apartment?
2. Why does Mary propose amputating Colin's arms and legs?
3. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
4. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
5. Why does Colin quickly swim out to Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Robert and Caroline initially do to Colin? How does he prevent this?
2. Why do Mary and Colin depart the riverboat early? How does their ultimate destination differ from their intended destination?
3. Describe Mary and Colin's routine for the days following their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment.
4. What does Colin confess to Mary as they are sitting on the beach? How does Mary react?
5. What is Mary's fantasy of "subjection and humiliation" for Colin? What is Colin's fantasy for Mary?
6. What does Caroline request of Colin? Why?
7. How do Mary and Caroline's views on theatre differ? How are they the same?
8. What does Robert ultimately do to Colin? Why does Colin consent to this?
9. How do Mary and Colin's conversations compare to their lovemaking?
10. Describe the scene between Robert and Mary at the bookcase.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Mary's children never appear in the novel, their influence is felt on the story. In your essay:
1) describe Mary's children and their life circumstances.
2) discuss at least two events where the children play a role in the scene
3) discuss the significance of the children in the scene. What do they represent?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in this novel is the concept of gender roles. Discuss the ways that this theme plays out in the novel and the overarching message about gender that the author is trying to make. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)