Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary propose amputating Colin's arms and legs?
2. What Italian custom does Robert engage in while walking through the street with Colin?
3. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
4. Why does Mary leave the morgue?
5. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
Essay Topic 1
The sexual brutality in this novel is shocking and disturbing to readers. In your essay discuss the significance of McEwan's choice to include it in the story. What does sexual brutality bring to the story? Why is it important? Why do you think McEwan chose to include it in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The Comfort of Strangers the author explores what it means to be a stranger. Discuss how characters in this novel are strangers focusing on what makes them strangers. Then discuss the author's view of the stranger. Is it better to be a stranger or to not be a stranger, according to McEwan? Why?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Mary and Colin's relationship changes significantly. In your essay:
1) describe their relationship at the beginning of the novel.
2) describe their relationship at the end of the novel
3) discuss the changes that occur in their relationship
4) discuss what influences these changes.
Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)