|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert do at the beginning of this chapter to mark the change in his relationship with Mary and Colin?
2. How do Mary and Colin act as they ride the water taxi back to their hotel?
3. How does Colin initially react when Caroline and Robert begin making sexual advances towards him?
4. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
5. What does Robert believe all women want?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary intend to do when she goes to the morgue? What does she do instead?
2. How do Mary and Caroline's views on theatre differ? How are they the same?
3. Describe the two times that Mary and Colin discuss Robert's photograph of Colin in this chapter. How are they different?
4. What is wrong with Mary at the beginning of this chapter? What does Caroline tell Colin is wrong with her? What does Colin think they need to do?
5. How does Mary's reaction to Robert's photograph differ from Colin's?
6. What is Mary's fantasy of "subjection and humiliation" for Colin? What is Colin's fantasy for Mary?
7. Why do Mary and Colin leave late for the beach? What is the motivation behind their change of plans?
8. What does Colin confess to Mary as they are sitting on the beach? How does Mary react?
9. Describe the evolution of the sexual dynamics between Robert and Caroline.
10. Why does Robert hold Colin's hand as they walk to the bar? What does he tell people about their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Mary and Colin's relationship changes significantly. In your essay:
1) describe their relationship at the beginning of the novel.
2) describe their relationship at the end of the novel
3) discuss the changes that occur in their relationship
4) discuss what influences these changes.
Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is sexuality. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Read the two inscriptions at the beginning of the novel.
Discuss the significance of these quote in reference to the novel. How do they fit (or not fit) the novel? Why do you think Ian McEwan chose these quotes? How do they work together to demonstrate the themes of the novel?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)