Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary propose amputating Colin's arms and legs?
2. What Italian custom does Robert engage in while walking through the street with Colin?
3. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
4. Why does Mary leave the morgue?
5. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is sexuality. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The sexual brutality in this novel is shocking and disturbing to readers. In your essay discuss the significance of McEwan's choice to include it in the story. What does sexual brutality bring to the story? Why is it important? Why do you think McEwan chose to include it in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Read the two inscriptions at the beginning of the novel.
Discuss the significance of these quote in reference to the novel. How do they fit (or not fit) the novel? Why do you think Ian McEwan chose these quotes? How do they work together to demonstrate the themes of the novel?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)