|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary propose amputating Colin's arms and legs?
2. What Italian custom does Robert engage in while walking through the street with Colin?
3. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
4. Why does Mary leave the morgue?
5. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
Essay Topic 1
The sexual brutality in this novel is shocking and disturbing to readers. In your essay discuss the significance of McEwan's choice to include it in the story. What does sexual brutality bring to the story? Why is it important? Why do you think McEwan chose to include it in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two main settings of the novel: Robert and Caroline's apartment and Mary and Colin's hotel room. Focus on:
1) the characteristics of the settings
2) the influence that the setting asserts on the plot of the novel
3) the ways that the setting reflects the characters "living" in it.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of The Comfort of Strangers strongly influences the plot of the novel. Discuss the role that the setting plays in this novel. Focus on how it influences the choices and actions of the characters. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)