|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Colin respond to Robert's stories about his family and his wife?
2. What does Mary note about the water in Venice?
3. What do Mary and Colin notice about Robert's appearance once they have been in the bar for some time?
4. What does Mary recall provided her with comfort when she was a teenager?
5. Why does Colin wear a woman's dressing gown when he awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary intend to do when she goes to the morgue? What does she do instead?
2. Describe Robert's father (as Robert presents him in this chapter)
3. Describe the process of Mary realizing that Colin was in the photograph at Robert's apartment
4. Where does Robert take Mary and Colin to eat? Describe this setting.
5. How is Mary's reaction to Robert different from Colin's?
6. What changes about Colin's appearance in this chapter? How does Robert react to this change? How does Mary react?
7. What does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter? How do they react? How does Robert counteract?
8. What do Robert's sisters feed him one afternoon? Why?
9. Describe Colin and Mary's nightly ritual (in the hotel room) before leaving for dinner
10. How do the police react to Mary's statement about Colin's murder? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in this novel is the concept of gender roles. Discuss the ways that this theme plays out in the novel and the overarching message about gender that the author is trying to make. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is loss and confusion. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,868 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)