|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary spend time doing when she awakens?
2. Which of the following is NOT a location that Mary and Colin visit during this chapter?
3. Why doesn't Robert's father allow him to eat chocolate?
4. Which of the following is NOT a unique characteristic of the bar Robert takes Mary and Colin to?
5. What does Mary liken the cafe to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mary and Colin looking for as they journey through the city? Why?
2. How does Mary react to Colin when he wears the dressing gown? How is this different from his own reaction?
3. Who do Mary and Colin notice outside of the street side cafe? How is he the same? How is he different?
4. What does Mary tell Colin she dreams about during their daily naps?
5. How does the author initially describe Robert?
6. Describe the gallery in Robert and Caroline's apartment
7. What does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter? How do they react? How does Robert counteract?
8. What is unusual about Robert's interactions with Mary and Colin in this chapter?
9. How does Caroline define being "in love" with someone? How does the definition of love differ for men and women according to Caroline?
10. Describe Mary and Colin's experience outside of the hospital.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the men and women in this novel. How are the female characters similar/different? How are the male characters similar/different? Then discuss why you think the author presents this variety of male and female characters in the novel. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The human body plays an important role in this novel. Discuss several situations where the body is central to the plot of the story. Focus on what the human body is serving as a symbol of at that point in the novel. Be sure to cite specific details from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the warning signs Mary and Colin are given about Robert and Caroline's motives, the couple still remains in their company. In your essay:
1) describe at least two "warnings" that should have drawn Mary and Colin's attention to the danger they were about to encounter
2) discuss how Mary and Colin choose to react instead
3) discuss what you think (as a reader) motivates the couple to ignore these signs.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)