|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mary and Colin searching for in the morning?
2. Why do Robert's sisters put him in their father's study after he has eaten sweets?
3. In Robert's opinion, what about the English language makes it beautiful?
4. What condition does Caroline require Mary and Colin to meet in order to get their clothes back?
5. What is Robert's opinion of Italian feminists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting around the tourist attraction clock tower.
2. Why does Mary begin thinking of her children in this chapter? What does she wish she had done?
3. What are Mary and Colin looking for as they journey through the city? Why?
4. Describe the event that led Robert's sisters to despise him.
5. What does Mary notice about Colin's body as he lays sleeping in Robert and Caroline's apartment?
6. Describe the notebook Mary keeps as a thirteen-year-old. Why is her mind drawn to this memory while vacationing?
7. What do Robert's sisters feed him one afternoon? Why?
8. Describe the gallery in Robert and Caroline's apartment
9. Describe the display in the department store window that both Mary and Colin comment on.
10. What is unusual about Robert's interactions with Mary and Colin in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two main settings of the novel: Robert and Caroline's apartment and Mary and Colin's hotel room. Focus on:
1) the characteristics of the settings
2) the influence that the setting asserts on the plot of the novel
3) the ways that the setting reflects the characters "living" in it.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The gallery in Robert's apartment plays an important role in the novel. It serves as a symbol on many levels. Discuss the significance of the gallery in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The human body plays an important role in this novel. Discuss several situations where the body is central to the plot of the story. Focus on what the human body is serving as a symbol of at that point in the novel. Be sure to cite specific details from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)