|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the waiter react when Mary and Colin order water and coffee?
2. Why do Mary and Colin become concerned when they finally get a table at a cafe?
3. Why do Mary and Colin go to the hospital?
4. Who do Mary and Colin meet while at the cafe?
5. Where does Caroline say that Mary and Colin's clothes are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gallery in Robert and Caroline's apartment
2. What does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter? How do they react? How does Robert counteract?
3. Describe Colin and Mary's nightly ritual (in the hotel room) before leaving for dinner
4. How are Mary and Colin's views on feminism demonstrated through their reactions to a poster hanging on the wall of a Venice building?
5. Describe Robert's father (as Robert presents him in this chapter)
6. What does Mary tell Colin she dreams about during their daily naps?
7. What do Robert's sisters feed him one afternoon? Why?
8. Describe Robert's first meeting with Caroline.
9. What is unusual about Robert's interactions with Mary and Colin in this chapter?
10. What are Mary and Colin looking for as they journey through the city? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Comfort of Strangers the author explores what it means to be a stranger. Discuss how characters in this novel are strangers focusing on what makes them strangers. Then discuss the author's view of the stranger. Is it better to be a stranger or to not be a stranger, according to McEwan? Why?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the men and women in this novel. How are the female characters similar/different? How are the male characters similar/different? Then discuss why you think the author presents this variety of male and female characters in the novel. Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The Comfort of Strangers presents two very different visions of romantic relationships. In your essay, compare and contrast the two couples in the novel focusing on:
1) the dynamics of their relationship
2) their ideals about love
3) their ideals about relationships between men and women.
Be sure to cite specific evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)