|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the main setting of this chapter?
2. How does Mary characterize her relationship with Colin as she describes it to Caroline?
3. Who is the only person who is kind to Robert after the incident in the study?
4. What did Robert do that made his sisters hate him?
5. Why does Caroline have difficulty moving around the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Robert's interactions with Mary and Colin in this chapter?
2. Describe the setting around the tourist attraction clock tower.
3. How does Robert's father react to him soiling his study? How does this make Robert feel?
4. What does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter? How do they react? How does Robert counteract?
5. How does the author initially describe Robert?
6. Describe the scene involving the older tourists that Colin observes from his balcony. How does the version of the story Colin tells Mary differ from the actual situation?
7. What information about the bar does Caroline share with Mary? How does Mary react?
8. How does Mary react to Colin when he wears the dressing gown? How is this different from his own reaction?
9. Who do Mary and Colin notice outside of the street side cafe? How is he the same? How is he different?
10. Describe the setting of the first chapter
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gallery in Robert's apartment plays an important role in the novel. It serves as a symbol on many levels. Discuss the significance of the gallery in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The Comfort of Strangers the author explores what it means to be a stranger. Discuss how characters in this novel are strangers focusing on what makes them strangers. Then discuss the author's view of the stranger. Is it better to be a stranger or to not be a stranger, according to McEwan? Why?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The Comfort of Strangers explores is loss and confusion. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)