|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
(a) He is secretly in love with Colin.
(b) He thinks Colin has a nice face.
(c) Caroline is in love with Colin.
(d) He is stalking Colin and Mary.
2. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
(a) Because of her back injury, laughing is painful for her.
(b) She realizes she has offended Mary.
(c) Robert walks into the room.
(d) She realizes Mary is not also laughing.
3. What do Mary and Colin hear as they depart the boat dock?
(a) The sound of the boat leaving the dock
(b) Robert's voice
(c) The sounds of water birds
(d) Caroline's voice
4. How did Caroline's back become injured?
(a) Robert broke her back to punish her for cheating on him.
(b) An incompetent surgeon broke her back.
(c) Robert broke her back while the two were having sex.
(d) Caroline fell down the stairs to her apartment.
5. How does Colin initially react when Mary tells him what has frightened her?
(a) He is also frightened.
(b) He tries to soothe her.
(c) He dismisses it.
(d) He falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin notice has changed in Robert's bar since his earlier visit?
2. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
3. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
4. Why does Colin insist on leaving the apartment with Mary?
5. Which of the following is NOT an activity that Mary and Colin engage in in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene between Robert and Mary at the bookcase.
2. What does Caroline request of Colin? Why?
3. What does Colin say in response to Robert's monologue on gender relations? How does Robert respond to Colin's comment?
4. Why do Mary and Colin leave late for the beach? What is the motivation behind their change of plans?
5. What does Mary find in Robert and Caroline's bedroom? What is the source of this?
6. What does Mary intend to do when she goes to the morgue? What does she do instead?
7. What changes about Colin's appearance in this chapter? How does Robert react to this change? How does Mary react?
8. Describe Mary and Colin's routine for the days following their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment.
9. According to Robert, how do the roles of men and women differ now from the time when his father was alive?
10. What do Robert and Caroline initially do to Colin? How does he prevent this?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)