|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mary and Colin think their newfound passion is especially profound?
(a) They believe it will last forever.
(b) They found it in a foreign city.
(c) They realize they are also aging.
(d) They had long ago abandoned hope of rekindling it.
2. How does Caroline's face become injured?
(a) She tries to come between Robert and Colin as they fight.
(b) Mary hits her in the face.
(c) Robert hits her in the face.
(d) Colin pushes her away from him.
3. Why does Colin insist on leaving the apartment with Mary?
(a) They must check out of their hotel and catch their flight to London.
(b) He believes she is ill.
(c) He and Mary have caught sunstroke.
(d) He becomes frightened by Robert's behavior.
4. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
(a) At the beach
(b) In museums
(c) In their hotel room
(d) Touring Venice
5. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
(a) Making new friends.
(b) A good suntan.
(c) The desire to move to the city you are vacationing in.
(d) The desire to return home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "apelike" teenage boy spend his time doing while at the beach?
2. Why do Mary and Colin "sicken" when they use the word "relationship"?
3. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
4. What does Caroline find "sweet" about Colin?
5. Which of the following is NOT a topic of discussion between Mary and Colin during this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Mary awakens with a shout in the middle of the night.
2. Describe the evolution of the sexual dynamics between Robert and Caroline.
3. What does Mary discover in the apartment when she awakens?
4. What is Mary's fantasy of "subjection and humiliation" for Colin? What is Colin's fantasy for Mary?
5. Describe the scene between Robert and Mary at the bookcase.
6. What does Mary find in Robert and Caroline's bedroom? What is the source of this?
7. Why doesn't Mary respond much to Caroline's stories? What is likely the source of her silence?
8. Why does Robert hold Colin's hand as they walk to the bar? What does he tell people about their relationship?
9. Why do Mary and Colin leave late for the beach? What is the motivation behind their change of plans?
10. How do Mary and Colin's conversations compare to their lovemaking?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)