|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mary and Colin hear as they depart the boat dock?
(a) Caroline's voice
(b) The sounds of water birds
(c) Robert's voice
(d) The sound of the boat leaving the dock
2. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
(a) Robert and Colin knew each other earlier.
(b) Robert has a photograph of Colin standing on the balcony of the hotel.
(c) Robert ad Colin are in love with each other.
(d) She and Colin must return to England soon.
3. Why does Robert say Mary is "very quick"?
(a) She was able to escape from the apartment and arrive at the bar.
(b) She recognized Colin in the photograph at Robert's house.
(c) She realized Robert was trying to seduce Colin.
(d) She realized how Caroline became injured without being told.
4. Where do Mary and Colin go after leaving the boat?
(a) To a restaurant
(b) To their hotel room
(c) To the beach
(d) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
5. How does Colin initially react when Caroline and Robert begin making sexual advances towards him?
(a) He willfully accepts their advances.
(b) He calls out to Mary for help.
(c) He becomes angry and violent.
(d) He is paralyzed in disbelief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
2. How do Mary and Colin act towards one another as they approach their destination?
3. What is the main topic of conversation while Robert, Caroline, Mary and Colin dine together?
4. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
5. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Mary awakens with a shout in the middle of the night.
2. Describe the scene in the ocean involving Mary and Colin.
3. What do Robert and Caroline initially do to Colin? How does he prevent this?
4. How does Mary's reaction to Robert's photograph differ from Colin's?
5. How do the police react to Mary's statement about Colin's murder? Why?
6. What does Mary find in Robert and Caroline's bedroom? What is the source of this?
7. According to Robert, how do the roles of men and women differ now from the time when his father was alive?
8. Why do Mary and Colin depart the riverboat early? How does their ultimate destination differ from their intended destination?
9. Describe Mary and Colin's routine for the days following their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment.
10. What is wrong with Mary at the beginning of this chapter? What does Caroline tell Colin is wrong with her? What does Colin think they need to do?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)