|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What landmark do Mary and Colin come upon as they are looking for the restaurant that they realize they have seen before?
(a) A glass factory
(b) A statue
(c) A feminist poster
(d) A department store
2. Why does Robert's father beat him for three nights in a row?
(a) For damaging the rugs in his study
(b) For eating chocolate
(c) For being unkind to his sisters
(d) For being in his study
3. Why doesn't Robert's father allow him to eat chocolate?
(a) Robert is allergic to chocolate.
(b) He believes only girls should eat chocolate.
(c) He believes it will make Robert gain weight.
(d) He believes it will make Robert weak.
4. What does Mary notice is different about Robert from the night before?
(a) His sunglasses
(b) The way he interacts with Colin and her
(c) The style of his clothing
(d) The scent of his cologne
5. Who watches Mary as she walks through Robert's gallery?
(b) Robert's father
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caroline say will happen if Mary and Colin choose not to dine with her and Robert?
2. How do Robert's sisters attempt to embarrass him in front of Caroline?
3. How does Mary initially react to Robert?
4. What condition does Caroline require Mary and Colin to meet in order to get their clothes back?
5. Why do Robert's sisters put him in their father's study after he has eaten sweets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the first chapter
2. Describe Robert's father (as Robert presents him in this chapter)
3. Describe the event that led Robert's sisters to despise him.
4. How does Mary and Colin's relationship with the hotel maid change over the course of their vacation?
5. What is unusual about Robert's interactions with Mary and Colin in this chapter?
6. What does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter? How do they react? How does Robert counteract?
7. Describe Robert's first meeting with Caroline.
8. Describe the display in the department store window that both Mary and Colin comment on.
9. Who do Mary and Colin notice outside of the street side cafe? How is he the same? How is he different?
10. What is the significance of the smell of cologne for Robert? Why?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)