|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the main setting of this chapter?
(a) Orchestra music playing
(b) Large groups of tourists
(c) Cool weather
(d) Packed cafes
2. What did Robert do that made his sisters hate him?
(a) He was the only boy in the family.
(b) He betrayed their trust to their father.
(c) He beat them with a leather belt.
(d) He refused to put on makeup and his mother's clothes.
3. Why doesn't Robert's mother leave a glass of water in his room at night?
(a) She is afraid he will spill it which will cause his father to punish him.
(b) She feels it is her duty to serve Robert.
(c) She knows he needs an excuse to call her into his room when he has a nightmare.
(d) His father forbids him to have water during the night.
4. Why are Mary and Colin not speaking to each other at the beginning of the novel?
(a) They recently fought over their vacation
(b) They have fallen out of love
(c) They rarely see eye to eye
(d) They can no longer remember the reason
5. What impresses Mary about the women of Venice?
(a) Their radical, organized form of feminism
(b) Their commitment to the native culture of the area
(c) Their subtle feminist beliefs
(d) Their complacency
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes Mary and Colin's relationship at the opening of the novel?
2. How does Robert first meet Caroline?
3. What often happens to Mary and Colin when they are sightseeing or shopping?
4. How quickly do Robert, Mary and Colin drink their first bottle of wine?
5. How long have Colin and Mary been together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the event that led Robert's sisters to despise him.
2. Why does Mary begin thinking of her children in this chapter? What does she wish she had done?
3. How does Mary and Colin's relationship with the hotel maid change over the course of their vacation?
4. Describe the setting of the first chapter
5. Describe Colin and Mary's nightly ritual (in the hotel room) before leaving for dinner
6. Describe the notebook Mary keeps as a thirteen-year-old. Why is her mind drawn to this memory while vacationing?
7. Describe Robert's father (as Robert presents him in this chapter)
8. Where does Robert take Mary and Colin to eat? Describe this setting.
9. Describe the gallery in Robert and Caroline's apartment
10. Describe Robert's first meeting with Caroline.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)