|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary make the comment, "'Thank God I'm not a man'" when she, Colin and Robert enter the bar?
(a) There is a cover charge for men only.
(b) There are many beautiful women in the bar.
(c) All of the men in the bar are drunk.
(d) There are only men in the bar.
2. What does Colin say must happen before he and Mary decide if they will stay at Caroline and Robert's home for dinner?
(a) He and Mary must return to their hotel room to freshen up.
(b) He must make a phone call to London.
(c) He and Mary must get their clothes back.
(d) He must take a shower.
3. Who watches Mary as she walks through Robert's gallery?
(c) Robert's father
4. What condition does Caroline require Mary and Colin to meet in order to get their clothes back?
(a) They must agree to stay in touch with Robert and Caroline after they return to London.
(b) They must agree to visit her home again.
(c) They must stay for dinner.
(d) They must go to Robert's bar for dinner.
5. What did Robert do that made his sisters hate him?
(a) He betrayed their trust to their father.
(b) He refused to put on makeup and his mother's clothes.
(c) He was the only boy in the family.
(d) He beat them with a leather belt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comfort does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter?
2. Why do Robert's sisters put him in their father's study after he has eaten sweets?
3. How does the waiter react when Mary and Colin order water and coffee?
4. Where is Robert's wife originally from?
5. Which of Caroline's character traits makes Robert fall in love with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the display in the department store window that both Mary and Colin comment on.
2. How does Mary react to Colin when he wears the dressing gown? How is this different from his own reaction?
3. Describe Colin and Mary's nightly ritual (in the hotel room) before leaving for dinner
4. Who do Mary and Colin notice outside of the street side cafe? How is he the same? How is he different?
5. What is the significance of the smell of cologne for Robert? Why?
6. What are Mary and Colin looking for as they journey through the city? Why?
7. Why does Caroline lock Mary and Colin's clothes in a cabinet?
8. How does the author initially describe Robert?
9. Describe the setting around the tourist attraction clock tower.
10. What do Robert's sisters feed him one afternoon? Why?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)