|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Robert's mother leave a glass of water in his room at night?
(a) She feels it is her duty to serve Robert.
(b) His father forbids him to have water during the night.
(c) She is afraid he will spill it which will cause his father to punish him.
(d) She knows he needs an excuse to call her into his room when he has a nightmare.
2. What does the couple do each evening on the balcony of their hotel room?
(a) Discuss their relationship
(b) Make love
(c) Have a night cap before going to dinner
(d) Share their dreams
3. What is notable about Caroline's demeanor when she invites Mary and Colin to dine with her and Robert?
(a) She seems ambivalent about their presence in her home.
(b) She pleads for them to stay.
(c) She is excessively polite.
(d) She seems as if she would rather they did not stay.
4. Why is Robert surprised when his father calls him and his sisters into his study one night?
(a) They are never allowed in there.
(b) He believes his sisters should be punished, but he should not.
(c) They are only allowed to visit the study in the mornings.
(d) They thought they had evaded punishment.
5. Why does Colin wear a woman's dressing gown when he awakens?
(a) Mary refuses to give him his clothes.
(b) He wants to embarrass Mary in front of Caroline.
(c) He wants to see what it is like to be a woman.
(d) His clothes are missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mary and Colin awaken at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Which of Caroline's character traits makes Robert fall in love with her?
3. Who do Mary and Colin meet while at the cafe?
4. What does Mary liken the cafe to?
5. Why do Mary and Colin leave their hotel room after making love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Mary and Colin notice outside of the street side cafe? How is he the same? How is he different?
2. How are Mary and Colin's views on feminism demonstrated through their reactions to a poster hanging on the wall of a Venice building?
3. Describe the event that led Robert's sisters to despise him.
4. What does Mary notice about Colin's body as he lays sleeping in Robert and Caroline's apartment?
5. What is the significance of the smell of cologne for Robert? Why?
6. What are Mary and Colin looking for as they journey through the city? Why?
7. Where does Robert take Mary and Colin to eat? Describe this setting.
8. Describe Robert's first meeting with Caroline.
9. Describe the notebook Mary keeps as a thirteen-year-old. Why is her mind drawn to this memory while vacationing?
10. Describe Mary and Colin's experience outside of the hospital.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)