|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mary and Colin forget to take with them when they leave the hotel?
(c) Directions to the restaurant
2. What does Mary spend time doing when she awakens?
(a) She talks with Caroline.
(b) She searches the room they are in.
(c) She reads while Colin sleeps.
(d) She studies Colin while he is sleeping.
3. What does Mary notice is different about Robert from the night before?
(a) The scent of his cologne
(b) His sunglasses
(c) The way he interacts with Colin and her
(d) The style of his clothing
4. In Robert's opinion, what about the English language makes it beautiful?
(a) It sounds like singing.
(b) It has many unique words.
(c) It is full of misunderstandings.
(d) It is easy to learn.
5. What is notable about Caroline's demeanor when she invites Mary and Colin to dine with her and Robert?
(a) She seems as if she would rather they did not stay.
(b) She is excessively polite.
(c) She pleads for them to stay.
(d) She seems ambivalent about their presence in her home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary believe that the feminist posters suggest rapists should be castrated?
2. Why does Caroline have difficulty moving around the house?
3. Where is Robert's wife originally from?
4. What does Colin say must happen before he and Mary decide if they will stay at Caroline and Robert's home for dinner?
5. Where are Mary and Colin vacationing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the first chapter
2. Describe Robert's father (as Robert presents him in this chapter)
3. Describe the scene involving the older tourists that Colin observes from his balcony. How does the version of the story Colin tells Mary differ from the actual situation?
4. What do Robert's sisters feed him one afternoon? Why?
5. Describe Mary and Colin's experience outside of the hospital.
6. Why does Caroline lock Mary and Colin's clothes in a cabinet?
7. What does Mary tell Colin she dreams about during their daily naps?
8. Describe the notebook Mary keeps as a thirteen-year-old. Why is her mind drawn to this memory while vacationing?
9. How does Mary and Colin's relationship with the hotel maid change over the course of their vacation?
10. Describe the display in the department store window that both Mary and Colin comment on.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)