|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity that Mary and Colin engage in in this chapter?
(a) Spending many hours in bed
(b) Spending the day at the beach
(c) Smoking marijuana on the balcony
(d) Having long discussions about their lives
2. What does Mary intend to tell Colin, but does not (as she sits with his body in the morgue)?
(a) Why she did not save his life
(b) How and why he was killed
(c) How much she loved him
(d) Where Robert and Caroline go after the murder
3. What does Robert use to critically injury Colin?
(a) One of his father's razors
(b) A kitchen knife
(c) A gun
(d) One of his father's knives
4. What Italian custom does Robert engage in while walking through the street with Colin?
(a) He kisses Colin on both cheeks.
(b) He holds Colin's hand.
(c) He offers to show Colin around the city.
(d) He walks behind Colin.
5. Why do Mary and Colin laugh at the other tourists in the hotel cafe?
(a) Few of the other tourists speak Italian.
(b) They believe it is more pleasurable to spend their vacation in bed than out sightseeing.
(c) The other tourists need a map to travel in Venice while Mary and Colin know their way around the city.
(d) They believe they have acclimated to Venice better than the other tourists.
6. What does Colin describe Caroline as?
(a) A lucky woman
(b) A prisoner
(c) A martyr
(d) A goddess
7. Who does Robert insist on toasting to during dinner?
(a) His father
(c) Mary and Colin
(d) His new bar manager
8. What is the main topic of conversation while Robert, Caroline, Mary and Colin dine together?
(a) Robert's father
(b) Mary's children
(c) Caroline's injury
(d) Mary and Colin's relationship
9. Where does Mary go one morning when she awakens before Colin?
(a) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(b) To the hotel's pontoon cafe
(c) Back to England
(d) To get him breakfast
10. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
(a) Women love peaceful, gentle men.
(b) There are no clearly defined roles for men and women.
(c) Women treat men like children.
(d) Men doubt themselves.
11. What is notable about the patrons of Robert's bar on this particular night?
(a) They watch Colin with curiosity.
(b) They seem angry and hostile.
(c) They react negatively to the song on the jukebox.
(d) They are much friendlier than they were previously.
12. How is the beach setting described as at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) As dirty and polluted
(b) As crowded and oppressive
(c) As crowded and lively
(d) As deserted and lonely
13. What does Robert focus on as he gives Colin a tour of his gallery?
(a) The historical significance of each item in the gallery
(b) The relationship between the men in his family and the items in the gallery
(c) Where he and Caroline purchased the items in the gallery
(d) The cost of each item in the gallery
14. Why do Mary and Colin "sicken" when they use the word "relationship"?
(a) They are reminded of Caroline and Robert's marriage.
(b) They believe it does not adequately describe what exists between them.
(c) They see it as a representation of patriarchy.
(d) They are reminded of their parents' marriages.
15. What does Mary discover when Caroline takes her into her bedroom?
(a) Caroline is lying about her back injury.
(b) The wall is covered with pictures of Mary.
(c) Caroline is sexually attracted to her.
(d) The wall is covered with pictures of Colin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary repeat the story about the photograph to Colin while they are eating breakfast?
2. How do Mary and Colin act as they ride the water taxi back to their hotel?
3. What does Robert believe all women want?
4. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
5. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)