|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Mary and Colin travel to at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) To the beach
(b) To London
(c) To the church across the river from their hotel
(d) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
2. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
(a) The desire to return home.
(b) The desire to move to the city you are vacationing in.
(c) Making new friends.
(d) A good suntan.
3. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
4. Why do Mary and Colin abandon the spot they initially choose to set up on at the beach?
(a) A family claims it is their regular location.
(b) A father and son tell them they already have taken the spot.
(c) They do not have enough privacy.
(d) They are bothered by a group of overzealous teenagers.
5. What does Mary do as she sits with Colin's body?
(a) Tells him what Caroline confessed to her
(b) Cries incessantly
(c) Repeats his name out loud
(d) Fixes his hair and holds his hand
6. Where are Robert and Caroline planning on traveling to?
(d) The United States
7. What does Mary discover when Caroline takes her into her bedroom?
(a) The wall is covered with pictures of Colin.
(b) The wall is covered with pictures of Mary.
(c) Caroline is lying about her back injury.
(d) Caroline is sexually attracted to her.
8. What does Robert say he and Caroline have been doing since they last saw Colin and Mary?
9. Which of the following is NOT a topic of discussion between Mary and Colin during this chapter?
(a) Their friends
(b) Their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment
(c) The other tourists staying in the hotel
(d) The politics of sex
10. How does Caroline react when Robert returns home from the bar?
(a) She quickly cleans up the remnants of Mary and Colin's sandwiches.
(b) She begins cooking dinner.
(c) She becomes silent and withdrawn.
(d) She enthusiastically greets him.
11. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
(a) Men doubt themselves.
(b) Women treat men like children.
(c) There are no clearly defined roles for men and women.
(d) Women love peaceful, gentle men.
12. What does Caroline find "sweet" about Colin?
(a) His modesty
(b) His friendliness
(c) His interactions with Mary
(d) His appearance
13. Why do Mary and Colin "sicken" when they use the word "relationship"?
(a) They see it as a representation of patriarchy.
(b) They are reminded of Caroline and Robert's marriage.
(c) They believe it does not adequately describe what exists between them.
(d) They are reminded of their parents' marriages.
14. What is the main topic of conversation while Robert, Caroline, Mary and Colin dine together?
(a) Robert's father
(b) Caroline's injury
(c) Mary and Colin's relationship
(d) Mary's children
15. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
(c) An elderly couple
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mary work for many years?
2. What does Robert believe all women want?
3. What does Colin do for a living?
4. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
5. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)