|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Colin insist on leaving the apartment with Mary?
(a) He becomes frightened by Robert's behavior.
(b) They must check out of their hotel and catch their flight to London.
(c) He believes she is ill.
(d) He and Mary have caught sunstroke.
2. What does Colin do for a living?
(a) He is a singer.
(b) He owns a bar.
(c) He is a director.
(d) He is an actor.
3. Why do Mary and Colin laugh at the other tourists in the hotel cafe?
(a) Few of the other tourists speak Italian.
(b) The other tourists need a map to travel in Venice while Mary and Colin know their way around the city.
(c) They believe it is more pleasurable to spend their vacation in bed than out sightseeing.
(d) They believe they have acclimated to Venice better than the other tourists.
4. What does Colin find unusual about Caroline?
(a) Despite being trapped in her home she seems quite free.
(b) Despite seeming quite meek she has feminist beliefs about marriage.
(c) Despite being in love with Robert she seems to be attracted to Colin.
(d) Despite being in pain she seems to be content.
5. What does Caroline do to Colin's lips?
(a) She rubs her blood on them.
(b) She kisses them.
(c) She cuts them.
(d) She holds them closed.
6. Where do Mary and Colin travel to at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) To London
(b) To the church across the river from their hotel
(c) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) To the beach
7. What information causes the Italian police to become less sympathetic towards Mary?
(a) Her occupation
(b) Her feminist beliefs
(c) Her previously knowledge of Robert and Caroline
(d) Her marital status
8. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
(a) Suggests Colin seduce Caroline
(b) Gives him one of his mementos of his father
(c) Punches him in the stomach
(d) Kisses him
9. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
(a) Caroline has tied Mary to a chair.
(b) The drug that Caroline put in Mary's tea makes her fall asleep.
(c) Mary believes Colin would have wanted to die this way.
(d) Robert restrains Mary.
10. Which of the following is NOT an activity that Mary and Colin engage in in this chapter?
(a) Smoking marijuana on the balcony
(b) Spending the day at the beach
(c) Spending many hours in bed
(d) Having long discussions about their lives
11. How does Caroline's face become injured?
(a) She tries to come between Robert and Colin as they fight.
(b) Mary hits her in the face.
(c) Colin pushes her away from him.
(d) Robert hits her in the face.
12. Why is Caroline trapped in her apartment?
(a) She cannot climb the stairs to return to the apartment if she goes out.
(b) She is wheelchair bound.
(c) Robert locks her in the apartment.
(d) She cannot walk down the stairs to leave the apartment.
13. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
14. Why do Mary and Colin think their newfound passion is especially profound?
(a) They realize they are also aging.
(b) They had long ago abandoned hope of rekindling it.
(c) They believe it will last forever.
(d) They found it in a foreign city.
15. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
(a) He becomes angry and violent.
(b) He patiently answers his questions.
(c) He evades the questions.
(d) He repeats his declarations of love for Colin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary go one morning when she awakens before Colin?
2. Why does Colin play "Ha Ha Ha" on the jukebox?
3. What causes Robert and Caroline's intimate relationship to become violent?
4. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
5. What does Robert do at the beginning of this chapter to mark the change in his relationship with Mary and Colin?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)