|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Italian police seem to categorize Colin's murder?
(a) As gruesome
(b) As fairly common
(c) As extremely uncommon
(d) As deserved
2. How is the beach setting described as at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) As crowded and oppressive
(b) As crowded and lively
(c) As deserted and lonely
(d) As dirty and polluted
3. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
(a) An Englishman
(b) The Italian prime minister
(c) His father
(d) His grandfather
4. Where did Mary work for many years?
(a) In a woman's theatre group
(b) In a men's theatre group
(c) In the movie industry
(d) In an art gallery
5. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
(a) To his bar
(b) To Colin's hotel room
(c) To the bedroom
(d) To the gallery
6. Which of the following is NOT a "willfully clumsy" detail of Colin's murder (according to the policeman)?
(a) Robert and Caroline leaving Mary alive as a witness
(b) Robert and Caroline leaving the razor behind.
(c) Robert and Caroline traveling on their own passports.
(d) Robert and Caroline booking their own flights.
7. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
(a) She is reminded that she forgot her hotel room key.
(b) She notices his good looks.
(c) She is frustrated and angered.
(d) She is inexplicably puzzled.
8. What information causes the Italian police to become less sympathetic towards Mary?
(a) Her occupation
(b) Her previously knowledge of Robert and Caroline
(c) Her marital status
(d) Her feminist beliefs
9. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
(a) She must agree to let Caroline have sex with Colin.
(b) She must agree to stay for dinner.
(c) She must tell Caroline all about her relationship with Colin.
(d) She must tell Caroline how good the tea is.
10. What causes Robert and Caroline's intimate relationship to become violent?
(a) Caroline asks Robert to hurt her.
(b) Robert's frustration at not being able to conceive children.
(c) Robert's father insists he beat Caroline during sex.
(d) Caroline's infidelity
11. Why do Mary and Colin think their newfound passion is especially profound?
(a) They realize they are also aging.
(b) They found it in a foreign city.
(c) They believe it will last forever.
(d) They had long ago abandoned hope of rekindling it.
12. Why does Colin suggest he and Mary depart the boat early?
(a) He thinks it will be quicker to walk to the hotel than ride the boat around the harbor.
(b) He wants to visit Robert and Caroline.
(c) He is hungry and would like to find a restaurant.
(d) He wants to visit Robert's bar.
13. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
(b) An elderly couple
14. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
(a) Caroline is in love with Colin.
(b) He is secretly in love with Colin.
(c) He is stalking Colin and Mary.
(d) He thinks Colin has a nice face.
15. What continually interrupts Mary and Colin's conversation at the beach?
(a) Thoughts of Robert and Caroline
(b) The crash of the waves on the beach
(c) The cries of an unhappy baby
(d) Sounds of noisy teenaged boys
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
2. What has changed about Mary and Colin's relationship in this chapter?
3. Who does Robert insist on toasting to during dinner?
4. Why does Colin quickly swim out to Mary?
5. How did Caroline's back become injured?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)