|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Caroline's face become injured?
(a) Mary hits her in the face.
(b) Robert hits her in the face.
(c) Colin pushes her away from him.
(d) She tries to come between Robert and Colin as they fight.
2. How does Caroline characterize Mary and Colin as a couple?
(a) As very compatible
(b) As loving
(c) As complete opposites
(d) As a striking pair
3. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
(a) He patiently answers his questions.
(b) He evades the questions.
(c) He repeats his declarations of love for Colin.
(d) He becomes angry and violent.
4. Where did Mary work for many years?
(a) In the movie industry
(b) In a woman's theatre group
(c) In a men's theatre group
(d) In an art gallery
5. What does Mary intend to tell Colin, but does not (as she sits with his body in the morgue)?
(a) How and why he was killed
(b) How much she loved him
(c) Why she did not save his life
(d) Where Robert and Caroline go after the murder
6. What does Colin find unusual about Caroline?
(a) Despite being trapped in her home she seems quite free.
(b) Despite being in love with Robert she seems to be attracted to Colin.
(c) Despite being in pain she seems to be content.
(d) Despite seeming quite meek she has feminist beliefs about marriage.
7. What does Colin describe Caroline as?
(a) A goddess
(b) A lucky woman
(c) A martyr
(d) A prisoner
8. What is the only piece of furniture left in Robert's gallery?
(a) The sideboard
(b) The portraits
(c) The dining chairs
(d) The dining table
9. How do the Italian police seem to categorize Colin's murder?
(a) As extremely uncommon
(b) As deserved
(c) As gruesome
(d) As fairly common
10. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
(a) A good suntan.
(b) The desire to return home.
(c) Making new friends.
(d) The desire to move to the city you are vacationing in.
11. What do Mary and Colin whisper to each other as they make love?
(a) Sweet declarations of their love
(b) Their intentions for the future
(c) Bizarre, somewhat violent sexual fantasies
(d) Hateful, cruel criticisms
12. What did Robert actually intend to do when he broke Caroline's back?
(a) He intended to increase her sexual pleasure.
(b) He intended to kill Caroline.
(c) He intended to save her.
(d) He intended to mildly injure her.
13. Why do Mary and Colin abandon the spot they initially choose to set up on at the beach?
(a) They are bothered by a group of overzealous teenagers.
(b) A family claims it is their regular location.
(c) A father and son tell them they already have taken the spot.
(d) They do not have enough privacy.
14. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
(a) Because of her back injury, laughing is painful for her.
(b) She realizes Mary is not also laughing.
(c) Robert walks into the room.
(d) She realizes she has offended Mary.
15. What causes Robert and Caroline's intimate relationship to become violent?
(a) Caroline's infidelity
(b) Robert's father insists he beat Caroline during sex.
(c) Robert's frustration at not being able to conceive children.
(d) Caroline asks Robert to hurt her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colin suggest he and Mary depart the boat early?
2. Which of the following is NOT a topic of discussion between Mary and Colin during this chapter?
3. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
4. Why does Colin quickly swim out to Mary?
5. What does Mary discover when Caroline takes her into her bedroom?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)