|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mary and Colin abandon the spot they initially choose to set up on at the beach?
(a) A father and son tell them they already have taken the spot.
(b) They are bothered by a group of overzealous teenagers.
(c) A family claims it is their regular location.
(d) They do not have enough privacy.
2. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
(a) Punches him in the stomach
(b) Suggests Colin seduce Caroline
(c) Kisses him
(d) Gives him one of his mementos of his father
3. What is notable about the patrons of Robert's bar on this particular night?
(a) They seem angry and hostile.
(b) They are much friendlier than they were previously.
(c) They watch Colin with curiosity.
(d) They react negatively to the song on the jukebox.
4. What does Robert tell Colin he looks like when he enters the room after showering and dressing?
(a) An angel
(b) A nightmare
(c) His father
(d) A Greek god
5. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
(a) His grandfather
(b) An Englishman
(c) The Italian prime minister
(d) His father
6. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
(a) A good suntan.
(b) The desire to move to the city you are vacationing in.
(c) The desire to return home.
(d) Making new friends.
7. What did Robert actually intend to do when he broke Caroline's back?
(a) He intended to save her.
(b) He intended to kill Caroline.
(c) He intended to increase her sexual pleasure.
(d) He intended to mildly injure her.
8. Who does Robert insist on toasting to during dinner?
(a) Mary and Colin
(b) His new bar manager
(c) His father
9. Where do Mary and Colin travel to at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(b) To London
(c) To the church across the river from their hotel
(d) To the beach
10. What does Caroline do to Colin's lips?
(a) She rubs her blood on them.
(b) She holds them closed.
(c) She kisses them.
(d) She cuts them.
11. How did Caroline's back become injured?
(a) An incompetent surgeon broke her back.
(b) Caroline fell down the stairs to her apartment.
(c) Robert broke her back to punish her for cheating on him.
(d) Robert broke her back while the two were having sex.
12. What has changed about Mary and Colin's relationship in this chapter?
(a) It is much more passionate.
(b) It is much more unstable.
(c) It is much more subdued.
(d) It is much more volatile.
13. How is the beach setting described as at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) As crowded and lively
(b) As crowded and oppressive
(c) As deserted and lonely
(d) As dirty and polluted
14. Why does Mary repeat the story about the photograph to Colin while they are eating breakfast?
(a) She wants to see what his reaction is now that it is daylight.
(b) She is not sure he listened carefully when she told the story the night before.
(c) She is trying to get him to confront Robert.
(d) She wants to make sure he understands the gravity of the situation.
15. What does Mary intend to tell Colin, but does not (as she sits with his body in the morgue)?
(a) Where Robert and Caroline go after the murder
(b) How much she loved him
(c) How and why he was killed
(d) Why she did not save his life
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
2. Why does Robert say Mary is "very quick"?
3. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
4. What does Robert do at the beginning of this chapter to mark the change in his relationship with Mary and Colin?
5. What continually interrupts Mary and Colin's conversation at the beach?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)