|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Robert and Caroline planning on traveling to?
(c) The United States
2. How does Caroline's face become injured?
(a) Robert hits her in the face.
(b) She tries to come between Robert and Colin as they fight.
(c) Mary hits her in the face.
(d) Colin pushes her away from him.
3. Why does Mary leave the morgue?
(a) She receives news that Robert and Caroline had been caught.
(b) A police official makes her leave.
(c) A nurse insists that she leave.
(d) She must catch her flight to England.
4. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
(a) She notices his good looks.
(b) She is inexplicably puzzled.
(c) She is frustrated and angered.
(d) She is reminded that she forgot her hotel room key.
5. Why does Colin insist on leaving the apartment with Mary?
(a) He becomes frightened by Robert's behavior.
(b) They must check out of their hotel and catch their flight to London.
(c) He and Mary have caught sunstroke.
(d) He believes she is ill.
6. Where do Mary and Colin travel to at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) To London
(b) To the church across the river from their hotel
(c) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) To the beach
7. How do Mary and Colin act as they ride the water taxi back to their hotel?
(a) They attempt to make conversation with the local people.
(b) They kiss and hold hands.
(c) They engage in lively conversation.
(d) They do not speak or look at each other.
8. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
(a) Women treat men like children.
(b) There are no clearly defined roles for men and women.
(c) Women love peaceful, gentle men.
(d) Men doubt themselves.
9. Why is Caroline trapped in her apartment?
(a) She cannot walk down the stairs to leave the apartment.
(b) She cannot climb the stairs to return to the apartment if she goes out.
(c) Robert locks her in the apartment.
(d) She is wheelchair bound.
10. What does Colin find unusual about Caroline?
(a) Despite being in pain she seems to be content.
(b) Despite seeming quite meek she has feminist beliefs about marriage.
(c) Despite being in love with Robert she seems to be attracted to Colin.
(d) Despite being trapped in her home she seems quite free.
11. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
(a) He is secretly in love with Colin.
(b) He is stalking Colin and Mary.
(c) He thinks Colin has a nice face.
(d) Caroline is in love with Colin.
12. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
(a) To kiss her before leaving Venice
(b) To take her to the doctor
(c) To visit her and Robert before he and Mary left Venice
(d) To help her escape from Robert
13. What does Robert do at the beginning of this chapter to mark the change in his relationship with Mary and Colin?
(a) He embraces them warmly as they reach the apartment.
(b) He speaks only to Colin.
(c) He steps between them on the stairs placing his hand around Colin's shoulder.
(d) He tells Mary she must leave the apartment.
14. Where do Mary and Colin go initially after leaving the beach?
(a) To the water taxi dock
(b) To a restaurant
(c) To Robert's apartment
(d) To their hotel room
15. Why does Mary propose amputating Colin's arms and legs?
(a) To keep him prisoner so she can have sex with him.
(b) To save his life after he contracts a disease.
(c) To punish him for allowing Robert to enter their lives.
(d) To make a cruel and sadistic joke at his expense.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
2. Why do Mary and Colin laugh at the other tourists in the hotel cafe?
3. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
4. How is the beach setting described as at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What is the only piece of furniture left in Robert's gallery?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)