|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Robert actually intend to do when he broke Caroline's back?
(a) He intended to mildly injure her.
(b) He intended to save her.
(c) He intended to kill Caroline.
(d) He intended to increase her sexual pleasure.
2. What does Robert tell Colin he looks like when he enters the room after showering and dressing?
(a) His father
(b) A nightmare
(c) A Greek god
(d) An angel
3. Where did Mary work for many years?
(a) In an art gallery
(b) In a men's theatre group
(c) In the movie industry
(d) In a woman's theatre group
4. Where do Mary and Colin go after leaving the boat?
(a) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(b) To their hotel room
(c) To a restaurant
(d) To the beach
5. What does Caroline do to Colin's lips?
(a) She cuts them.
(b) She kisses them.
(c) She rubs her blood on them.
(d) She holds them closed.
6. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
(c) An elderly couple
7. Why do Mary and Colin laugh at the other tourists in the hotel cafe?
(a) They believe it is more pleasurable to spend their vacation in bed than out sightseeing.
(b) They believe they have acclimated to Venice better than the other tourists.
(c) The other tourists need a map to travel in Venice while Mary and Colin know their way around the city.
(d) Few of the other tourists speak Italian.
8. What does Colin describe Caroline as?
(a) A lucky woman
(b) A martyr
(c) A prisoner
(d) A goddess
9. What continually interrupts Mary and Colin's conversation at the beach?
(a) Thoughts of Robert and Caroline
(b) The cries of an unhappy baby
(c) The crash of the waves on the beach
(d) Sounds of noisy teenaged boys
10. What do Mary and Colin whisper to each other as they make love?
(a) Their intentions for the future
(b) Hateful, cruel criticisms
(c) Bizarre, somewhat violent sexual fantasies
(d) Sweet declarations of their love
11. What does the "apelike" teenage boy spend his time doing while at the beach?
(a) Cajole the other boys into fighting with him
(b) Trying to impress a girl by being kind and gentlemanly
(c) Trying to impress Mary
(d) Trying to impress a girl in a somewhat aggressive manner
12. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
(a) He evades the questions.
(b) He becomes angry and violent.
(c) He repeats his declarations of love for Colin.
(d) He patiently answers his questions.
13. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
(a) Robert restrains Mary.
(b) Mary believes Colin would have wanted to die this way.
(c) Caroline has tied Mary to a chair.
(d) The drug that Caroline put in Mary's tea makes her fall asleep.
14. What does Robert maintain hold of as he and Colin walk through the gallery?
(a) Caroline's hand
(b) Colin's hand
(c) Colin's elbow
(d) One of his father's razors
15. What has changed about Mary and Colin's relationship in this chapter?
(a) It is much more unstable.
(b) It is much more subdued.
(c) It is much more volatile.
(d) It is much more passionate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colin play "Ha Ha Ha" on the jukebox?
2. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
3. What does Mary intend to tell Colin, but does not (as she sits with his body in the morgue)?
4. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
5. How does Caroline characterize Mary and Colin as a couple?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)