|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert believe all women want?
(a) To be ruled by men
(b) To have choices
(c) To control men
(d) To fall in love
2. Where are Robert and Caroline planning on traveling to?
(b) The United States
3. What is the main topic of conversation while Robert, Caroline, Mary and Colin dine together?
(a) Robert's father
(b) Mary and Colin's relationship
(c) Mary's children
(d) Caroline's injury
4. Why does Robert idolize his father and grandfather?
(a) They believed in clearly defined roles for men and women.
(b) They were financially successful.
(c) They were ladies men.
(d) They were respected diplomats.
5. Why do Mary and Colin abandon the spot they initially choose to set up on at the beach?
(a) They do not have enough privacy.
(b) A family claims it is their regular location.
(c) A father and son tell them they already have taken the spot.
(d) They are bothered by a group of overzealous teenagers.
6. Where do Mary and Colin go after leaving the boat?
(a) To their hotel room
(b) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(c) To the beach
(d) To a restaurant
7. What concerns Colin when he walks to the edge of the ocean?
(a) He and Mary have begun arguing again after several days of renewed passion.
(b) He cannot see Mary swimming in the distance.
(c) The group of teenagers is encroaching on the spot where he and Mary have placed their towels.
(d) He sees Robert in the distance.
8. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
(a) To kiss her before leaving Venice
(b) To help her escape from Robert
(c) To take her to the doctor
(d) To visit her and Robert before he and Mary left Venice
9. Why does Mary repeat the story about the photograph to Colin while they are eating breakfast?
(a) She wants to see what his reaction is now that it is daylight.
(b) She is trying to get him to confront Robert.
(c) She is not sure he listened carefully when she told the story the night before.
(d) She wants to make sure he understands the gravity of the situation.
10. What does Caroline find "sweet" about Colin?
(a) His appearance
(b) His interactions with Mary
(c) His modesty
(d) His friendliness
11. How did Caroline's back become injured?
(a) Robert broke her back to punish her for cheating on him.
(b) Robert broke her back while the two were having sex.
(c) Caroline fell down the stairs to her apartment.
(d) An incompetent surgeon broke her back.
12. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
(a) Its depth.
(b) Its spaciousness.
(c) Its salinity.
(d) Its warmth.
13. How is the beach setting described as at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) As crowded and lively
(b) As deserted and lonely
(c) As crowded and oppressive
(d) As dirty and polluted
14. What does Robert focus on as he gives Colin a tour of his gallery?
(a) The cost of each item in the gallery
(b) Where he and Caroline purchased the items in the gallery
(c) The relationship between the men in his family and the items in the gallery
(d) The historical significance of each item in the gallery
15. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
(a) She is reminded that she forgot her hotel room key.
(b) She notices his good looks.
(c) She is inexplicably puzzled.
(d) She is frustrated and angered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colin quickly swim out to Mary?
2. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
3. How do Mary and Colin act towards one another as they approach their destination?
4. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
5. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)