|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Colin believe is wrong with Mary when she awakens frightened?
(a) She is frightened by her love for Colin.
(b) She had a nightmare and is not fully awake.
(c) She is afraid they will never leave Venice.
(d) There was an intruder in their hotel room.
2. Where do Mary and Colin travel to at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) To the beach
(b) To London
(c) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) To the church across the river from their hotel
3. What has changed about Mary and Colin's relationship in this chapter?
(a) It is much more volatile.
(b) It is much more unstable.
(c) It is much more subdued.
(d) It is much more passionate.
4. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
(a) To the bedroom
(b) To his bar
(c) To Colin's hotel room
(d) To the gallery
5. Which of the following is NOT a change that occurs for Mary and Colin during this chapter?
(a) They begin making love more often than they did previously.
(b) They begin talking about Caroline and Robert more than they did previously.
(c) They begin sleeping in the same bed.
(d) They stay closer to the hotel than they did previously.
6. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
(a) The Italian prime minister
(b) His grandfather
(c) His father
(d) An Englishman
7. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
(a) At the beach
(b) Touring Venice
(c) In their hotel room
(d) In museums
8. What do Mary and Colin whisper to each other as they make love?
(a) Bizarre, somewhat violent sexual fantasies
(b) Sweet declarations of their love
(c) Hateful, cruel criticisms
(d) Their intentions for the future
9. Why does Colin suggest he and Mary depart the boat early?
(a) He thinks it will be quicker to walk to the hotel than ride the boat around the harbor.
(b) He is hungry and would like to find a restaurant.
(c) He wants to visit Robert's bar.
(d) He wants to visit Robert and Caroline.
10. What does Robert maintain hold of as he and Colin walk through the gallery?
(a) Colin's elbow
(b) One of his father's razors
(c) Colin's hand
(d) Caroline's hand
11. Why does Robert meet with his bar manager after he and Colin enter the bar?
(a) He wants to ensure the bar manager is performing his duties.
(b) He plans to fire the manager.
(c) He must sign some papers that the manager has.
(d) He wants to appear important and professional in front of Colin.
12. Why does Mary fall asleep in Caroline and Robert's apartment?
(a) She has sunstroke.
(b) She is tired from not sleeping for several days.
(c) Caroline has drugged her.
(d) Robert has drugged her.
13. What do Mary and Colin hear as they depart the boat dock?
(a) Caroline's voice
(b) Robert's voice
(c) The sound of the boat leaving the dock
(d) The sounds of water birds
14. How do Mary and Colin act as they ride the water taxi back to their hotel?
(a) They engage in lively conversation.
(b) They attempt to make conversation with the local people.
(c) They kiss and hold hands.
(d) They do not speak or look at each other.
15. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
(a) She must agree to let Caroline have sex with Colin.
(b) She must tell Caroline all about her relationship with Colin.
(c) She must tell Caroline how good the tea is.
(d) She must agree to stay for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Robert and Caroline planning on traveling to?
2. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
3. Why does Mary leave the morgue?
4. What does Mary do as she sits with Colin's body?
5. What does Robert say he and Caroline have been doing since they last saw Colin and Mary?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)