|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a change that occurs for Mary and Colin during this chapter?
(a) They stay closer to the hotel than they did previously.
(b) They begin talking about Caroline and Robert more than they did previously.
(c) They begin sleeping in the same bed.
(d) They begin making love more often than they did previously.
2. Why do Mary and Colin "sicken" when they use the word "relationship"?
(a) They are reminded of Caroline and Robert's marriage.
(b) They are reminded of their parents' marriages.
(c) They believe it does not adequately describe what exists between them.
(d) They see it as a representation of patriarchy.
3. Where do Mary and Colin go after leaving the boat?
(a) To the beach
(b) To their hotel room
(c) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) To a restaurant
4. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
(a) Its salinity.
(b) Its spaciousness.
(c) Its depth.
(d) Its warmth.
5. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
(a) Kisses him
(b) Punches him in the stomach
(c) Suggests Colin seduce Caroline
(d) Gives him one of his mementos of his father
6. What does Caroline find "sweet" about Colin?
(a) His modesty
(b) His interactions with Mary
(c) His friendliness
(d) His appearance
7. What concerns Colin when he walks to the edge of the ocean?
(a) He cannot see Mary swimming in the distance.
(b) The group of teenagers is encroaching on the spot where he and Mary have placed their towels.
(c) He sees Robert in the distance.
(d) He and Mary have begun arguing again after several days of renewed passion.
8. Why does Robert meet with his bar manager after he and Colin enter the bar?
(a) He plans to fire the manager.
(b) He must sign some papers that the manager has.
(c) He wants to ensure the bar manager is performing his duties.
(d) He wants to appear important and professional in front of Colin.
9. What does Colin find unusual about Caroline?
(a) Despite being in pain she seems to be content.
(b) Despite seeming quite meek she has feminist beliefs about marriage.
(c) Despite being in love with Robert she seems to be attracted to Colin.
(d) Despite being trapped in her home she seems quite free.
10. Why does Mary repeat the story about the photograph to Colin while they are eating breakfast?
(a) She wants to make sure he understands the gravity of the situation.
(b) She wants to see what his reaction is now that it is daylight.
(c) She is not sure he listened carefully when she told the story the night before.
(d) She is trying to get him to confront Robert.
11. What does Mary intend to tell Colin, but does not (as she sits with his body in the morgue)?
(a) How much she loved him
(b) How and why he was killed
(c) Why she did not save his life
(d) Where Robert and Caroline go after the murder
12. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
(d) An elderly couple
13. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
(a) She must tell Caroline how good the tea is.
(b) She must agree to let Caroline have sex with Colin.
(c) She must tell Caroline all about her relationship with Colin.
(d) She must agree to stay for dinner.
14. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
(a) She notices his good looks.
(b) She is frustrated and angered.
(c) She is inexplicably puzzled.
(d) She is reminded that she forgot her hotel room key.
15. How do Mary and Colin act towards one another as they approach their destination?
(a) They do not look at one another.
(b) They hold hands.
(c) They speak softly to each other.
(d) They begin kissing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
2. Why does Mary propose amputating Colin's arms and legs?
3. How do the Italian police seem to categorize Colin's murder?
4. What does Caroline do to Colin's lips?
5. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)