|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Mary and Colin go after leaving the boat?
(a) To a restaurant
(b) To the beach
(c) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) To their hotel room
2. Why does Colin play "Ha Ha Ha" on the jukebox?
(a) It is the only song he recognizes the name of.
(b) He knows the bar's patrons enjoy it.
(c) He enjoyed hearing the song during his last visit.
(d) He wants to impress Robert.
3. What has changed about Mary and Colin's relationship in this chapter?
(a) It is much more subdued.
(b) It is much more passionate.
(c) It is much more unstable.
(d) It is much more volatile.
4. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
(a) Stay in touch when they return to England
(b) Come back to visit again
(c) Kiss her goodnight
(d) Stay at home overnight
5. What do Mary and Colin hear as they depart the boat dock?
(a) Caroline's voice
(b) The sounds of water birds
(c) The sound of the boat leaving the dock
(d) Robert's voice
6. Where does Mary go one morning when she awakens before Colin?
(a) To the hotel's pontoon cafe
(b) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(c) To get him breakfast
(d) Back to England
7. How does Colin initially react when Caroline and Robert begin making sexual advances towards him?
(a) He calls out to Mary for help.
(b) He willfully accepts their advances.
(c) He becomes angry and violent.
(d) He is paralyzed in disbelief.
8. How does Caroline's face become injured?
(a) Colin pushes her away from him.
(b) Robert hits her in the face.
(c) She tries to come between Robert and Colin as they fight.
(d) Mary hits her in the face.
9. How does Caroline react when Robert returns home from the bar?
(a) She becomes silent and withdrawn.
(b) She enthusiastically greets him.
(c) She quickly cleans up the remnants of Mary and Colin's sandwiches.
(d) She begins cooking dinner.
10. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
(a) She must tell Caroline all about her relationship with Colin.
(b) She must agree to stay for dinner.
(c) She must tell Caroline how good the tea is.
(d) She must agree to let Caroline have sex with Colin.
11. How do the Italian police seem to categorize Colin's murder?
(a) As extremely uncommon
(b) As gruesome
(c) As fairly common
(d) As deserved
12. Why do Mary and Colin laugh at the other tourists in the hotel cafe?
(a) They believe they have acclimated to Venice better than the other tourists.
(b) They believe it is more pleasurable to spend their vacation in bed than out sightseeing.
(c) The other tourists need a map to travel in Venice while Mary and Colin know their way around the city.
(d) Few of the other tourists speak Italian.
13. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
(a) He patiently answers his questions.
(b) He repeats his declarations of love for Colin.
(c) He evades the questions.
(d) He becomes angry and violent.
14. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
(a) To the gallery
(b) To the bedroom
(c) To his bar
(d) To Colin's hotel room
15. Where do Mary and Colin go initially after leaving the beach?
(a) To the water taxi dock
(b) To their hotel room
(c) To Robert's apartment
(d) To a restaurant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do as she sits with Colin's body?
2. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
3. Why does Colin suggest he and Mary depart the boat early?
4. What does Colin describe Caroline as?
5. Which of the following is NOT a "willfully clumsy" detail of Colin's murder (according to the policeman)?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)