|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about the patrons of Robert's bar on this particular night?
(a) They are much friendlier than they were previously.
(b) They seem angry and hostile.
(c) They react negatively to the song on the jukebox.
(d) They watch Colin with curiosity.
2. Which of the following is NOT an activity that Mary and Colin engage in in this chapter?
(a) Spending the day at the beach
(b) Spending many hours in bed
(c) Smoking marijuana on the balcony
(d) Having long discussions about their lives
3. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
(a) Robert ad Colin are in love with each other.
(b) She and Colin must return to England soon.
(c) Robert has a photograph of Colin standing on the balcony of the hotel.
(d) Robert and Colin knew each other earlier.
4. How do Mary and Colin act towards one another as they approach their destination?
(a) They hold hands.
(b) They begin kissing.
(c) They speak softly to each other.
(d) They do not look at one another.
5. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
(a) She realizes she has offended Mary.
(b) Robert walks into the room.
(c) Because of her back injury, laughing is painful for her.
(d) She realizes Mary is not also laughing.
6. What does Mary intend to tell Colin, but does not (as she sits with his body in the morgue)?
(a) Where Robert and Caroline go after the murder
(b) Why she did not save his life
(c) How much she loved him
(d) How and why he was killed
7. Why does Colin suggest he and Mary depart the boat early?
(a) He thinks it will be quicker to walk to the hotel than ride the boat around the harbor.
(b) He wants to visit Robert and Caroline.
(c) He wants to visit Robert's bar.
(d) He is hungry and would like to find a restaurant.
8. What does Caroline say makes her feel more efficient?
(a) Having company in her home
(b) Wearing white clothing
(c) Wearing makeup
(d) Wearing colorful clothing
9. What does Caroline do to Colin's lips?
(a) She holds them closed.
(b) She cuts them.
(c) She kisses them.
(d) She rubs her blood on them.
10. Why does Mary repeat the story about the photograph to Colin while they are eating breakfast?
(a) She is not sure he listened carefully when she told the story the night before.
(b) She is trying to get him to confront Robert.
(c) She wants to make sure he understands the gravity of the situation.
(d) She wants to see what his reaction is now that it is daylight.
11. Which of the following is NOT a topic of discussion between Mary and Colin during this chapter?
(a) The other tourists staying in the hotel
(b) The politics of sex
(c) Their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) Their friends
12. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
(a) To visit her and Robert before he and Mary left Venice
(b) To help her escape from Robert
(c) To kiss her before leaving Venice
(d) To take her to the doctor
13. What does Colin believe is wrong with Mary when she awakens frightened?
(a) She had a nightmare and is not fully awake.
(b) She is afraid they will never leave Venice.
(c) There was an intruder in their hotel room.
(d) She is frightened by her love for Colin.
14. What continually interrupts Mary and Colin's conversation at the beach?
(a) The cries of an unhappy baby
(b) Thoughts of Robert and Caroline
(c) The crash of the waves on the beach
(d) Sounds of noisy teenaged boys
15. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
(c) An elderly couple
Short Answer Questions
1. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
2. What does Robert tell Colin he looks like when he enters the room after showering and dressing?
3. Why does Mary awaken with a shout early one morning?
4. How does Robert characterize his relationship with Colin to the men they encounter?
5. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)