|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Robert insist on toasting to during dinner?
(a) His new bar manager
(b) Mary and Colin
(d) His father
2. What Italian custom does Robert engage in while walking through the street with Colin?
(a) He walks behind Colin.
(b) He offers to show Colin around the city.
(c) He holds Colin's hand.
(d) He kisses Colin on both cheeks.
3. What does Robert maintain hold of as he and Colin walk through the gallery?
(a) Colin's elbow
(b) One of his father's razors
(c) Caroline's hand
(d) Colin's hand
4. What does Robert say he and Caroline have been doing since they last saw Colin and Mary?
5. What is the only piece of furniture left in Robert's gallery?
(a) The sideboard
(b) The dining table
(c) The portraits
(d) The dining chairs
6. What does Colin do for a living?
(a) He is a singer.
(b) He owns a bar.
(c) He is a director.
(d) He is an actor.
7. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
(a) Kiss her goodnight
(b) Come back to visit again
(c) Stay in touch when they return to England
(d) Stay at home overnight
8. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
(a) Robert restrains Mary.
(b) Caroline has tied Mary to a chair.
(c) Mary believes Colin would have wanted to die this way.
(d) The drug that Caroline put in Mary's tea makes her fall asleep.
9. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
(a) Its salinity.
(b) Its warmth.
(c) Its spaciousness.
(d) Its depth.
10. What does Robert do at the beginning of this chapter to mark the change in his relationship with Mary and Colin?
(a) He speaks only to Colin.
(b) He embraces them warmly as they reach the apartment.
(c) He steps between them on the stairs placing his hand around Colin's shoulder.
(d) He tells Mary she must leave the apartment.
11. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
(a) Robert walks into the room.
(b) She realizes she has offended Mary.
(c) Because of her back injury, laughing is painful for her.
(d) She realizes Mary is not also laughing.
12. What does Colin notice has changed in Robert's bar since his earlier visit?
(a) Very little has changed.
(b) The jukebox is no longer there.
(c) There is different music playing on the jukebox.
(d) The atmosphere is less smoky.
13. Which of the following is NOT a change that occurs for Mary and Colin during this chapter?
(a) They stay closer to the hotel than they did previously.
(b) They begin making love more often than they did previously.
(c) They begin sleeping in the same bed.
(d) They begin talking about Caroline and Robert more than they did previously.
14. Who does Mary notice as she is drinking hot chocolate in the hotel cafe?
(c) An elderly couple
15. What is the main topic of conversation while Robert, Caroline, Mary and Colin dine together?
(a) Robert's father
(b) Mary and Colin's relationship
(c) Mary's children
(d) Caroline's injury
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity that Mary and Colin engage in in this chapter?
2. What do Mary and Colin whisper to each other as they make love?
3. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
4. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
5. Why is Caroline trapped in her apartment?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)