|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robert meet with his bar manager after he and Colin enter the bar?
(a) He plans to fire the manager.
(b) He wants to ensure the bar manager is performing his duties.
(c) He wants to appear important and professional in front of Colin.
(d) He must sign some papers that the manager has.
2. Why do Mary and Colin laugh at the other tourists in the hotel cafe?
(a) They believe they have acclimated to Venice better than the other tourists.
(b) They believe it is more pleasurable to spend their vacation in bed than out sightseeing.
(c) Few of the other tourists speak Italian.
(d) The other tourists need a map to travel in Venice while Mary and Colin know their way around the city.
3. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
(a) Suggests Colin seduce Caroline
(b) Punches him in the stomach
(c) Gives him one of his mementos of his father
(d) Kisses him
4. What does Robert tell Colin he looks like when he enters the room after showering and dressing?
(a) A Greek god
(b) His father
(c) An angel
(d) A nightmare
5. How does Colin initially react when Mary tells him what has frightened her?
(a) He dismisses it.
(b) He tries to soothe her.
(c) He is also frightened.
(d) He falls asleep.
6. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
(a) To help her escape from Robert
(b) To take her to the doctor
(c) To kiss her before leaving Venice
(d) To visit her and Robert before he and Mary left Venice
7. Why is Caroline trapped in her apartment?
(a) Robert locks her in the apartment.
(b) She cannot walk down the stairs to leave the apartment.
(c) She cannot climb the stairs to return to the apartment if she goes out.
(d) She is wheelchair bound.
8. What does Colin believe is wrong with Mary when she awakens frightened?
(a) There was an intruder in their hotel room.
(b) She is frightened by her love for Colin.
(c) She had a nightmare and is not fully awake.
(d) She is afraid they will never leave Venice.
9. What do Mary and Colin hear as they depart the boat dock?
(a) The sounds of water birds
(b) Robert's voice
(c) The sound of the boat leaving the dock
(d) Caroline's voice
10. What did Robert actually intend to do when he broke Caroline's back?
(a) He intended to kill Caroline.
(b) He intended to increase her sexual pleasure.
(c) He intended to save her.
(d) He intended to mildly injure her.
11. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
(a) Mary makes more money than Colin.
(b) There are only women working there.
(c) It no longer exists.
(d) There are few men working there.
12. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
(a) Women treat men like children.
(b) Men doubt themselves.
(c) Women love peaceful, gentle men.
(d) There are no clearly defined roles for men and women.
13. What delights Mary the most about swimming in the ocean?
(a) Its salinity.
(b) Its depth.
(c) Its spaciousness.
(d) Its warmth.
14. Who does Robert insist on toasting to during dinner?
(a) His new bar manager
(b) His father
(c) Mary and Colin
15. What concerns Colin when he walks to the edge of the ocean?
(a) He and Mary have begun arguing again after several days of renewed passion.
(b) He sees Robert in the distance.
(c) The group of teenagers is encroaching on the spot where he and Mary have placed their towels.
(d) He cannot see Mary swimming in the distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
2. What does Caroline say makes her feel more efficient?
3. What does Colin do for a living?
4. Why does Colin suggest he and Mary depart the boat early?
5. Where does Robert take Colin when he and Mary arrive at the apartment?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)