|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary discover when Caroline takes her into her bedroom?
(a) The wall is covered with pictures of Colin.
(b) Caroline is lying about her back injury.
(c) Caroline is sexually attracted to her.
(d) The wall is covered with pictures of Mary.
2. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
(a) Caroline is in love with Colin.
(b) He thinks Colin has a nice face.
(c) He is stalking Colin and Mary.
(d) He is secretly in love with Colin.
3. How do Mary and Colin act as they ride the water taxi back to their hotel?
(a) They attempt to make conversation with the local people.
(b) They engage in lively conversation.
(c) They kiss and hold hands.
(d) They do not speak or look at each other.
4. What does the "apelike" teenage boy spend his time doing while at the beach?
(a) Trying to impress a girl by being kind and gentlemanly
(b) Cajole the other boys into fighting with him
(c) Trying to impress a girl in a somewhat aggressive manner
(d) Trying to impress Mary
5. Which of the following is NOT a "willfully clumsy" detail of Colin's murder (according to the policeman)?
(a) Robert and Caroline leaving the razor behind.
(b) Robert and Caroline booking their own flights.
(c) Robert and Caroline traveling on their own passports.
(d) Robert and Caroline leaving Mary alive as a witness
6. What does Mary realize that frightens her?
(a) Robert ad Colin are in love with each other.
(b) Robert has a photograph of Colin standing on the balcony of the hotel.
(c) Robert and Colin knew each other earlier.
(d) She and Colin must return to England soon.
7. What does Colin notice has changed in Robert's bar since his earlier visit?
(a) The atmosphere is less smoky.
(b) There is different music playing on the jukebox.
(c) The jukebox is no longer there.
(d) Very little has changed.
8. What information causes the Italian police to become less sympathetic towards Mary?
(a) Her previously knowledge of Robert and Caroline
(b) Her marital status
(c) Her feminist beliefs
(d) Her occupation
9. What does Robert use to critically injury Colin?
(a) One of his father's razors
(b) One of his father's knives
(c) A kitchen knife
(d) A gun
10. Why does Colin quickly swim out to Mary?
(a) He believes she is drowning.
(b) He wants to apologize to her.
(c) He wants to make love to her in the ocean.
(d) He believes she is trying to get away from him.
11. Where do Mary and Colin spend several days after returning from Robert's home?
(a) In their hotel room
(b) In museums
(c) At the beach
(d) Touring Venice
12. What does Caroline do to Colin's lips?
(a) She rubs her blood on them.
(b) She cuts them.
(c) She kisses them.
(d) She holds them closed.
13. What is notable about the patrons of Robert's bar on this particular night?
(a) They seem angry and hostile.
(b) They are much friendlier than they were previously.
(c) They react negatively to the song on the jukebox.
(d) They watch Colin with curiosity.
14. How do Mary and Colin act towards one another as they approach their destination?
(a) They do not look at one another.
(b) They hold hands.
(c) They begin kissing.
(d) They speak softly to each other.
15. What does Robert do to Colin that surprises him?
(a) Gives him one of his mementos of his father
(b) Punches him in the stomach
(c) Suggests Colin seduce Caroline
(d) Kisses him
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic of discussion between Mary and Colin during this chapter?
2. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
3. What does Mary whisper to Colin when he and Robert return to the apartment?
4. Why is Caroline trapped in her apartment?
5. What prevents Mary from saving Colin's life?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)