|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Caroline's back become injured?
(a) Caroline fell down the stairs to her apartment.
(b) Robert broke her back to punish her for cheating on him.
(c) An incompetent surgeon broke her back.
(d) Robert broke her back while the two were having sex.
2. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
(a) The Italian prime minister
(b) An Englishman
(c) His father
(d) His grandfather
3. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
(a) Caroline is in love with Colin.
(b) He is stalking Colin and Mary.
(c) He thinks Colin has a nice face.
(d) He is secretly in love with Colin.
4. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
(a) Stay in touch when they return to England
(b) Kiss her goodnight
(c) Stay at home overnight
(d) Come back to visit again
5. What does Caroline find "sweet" about Colin?
(a) His friendliness
(b) His modesty
(c) His appearance
(d) His interactions with Mary
6. Which of the following is NOT a topic of discussion between Mary and Colin during this chapter?
(a) The politics of sex
(b) The other tourists staying in the hotel
(c) Their friends
(d) Their visit to Robert and Caroline's apartment
7. How does Robert react when Colin repeatedly asks him questions about the photograph?
(a) He evades the questions.
(b) He repeats his declarations of love for Colin.
(c) He patiently answers his questions.
(d) He becomes angry and violent.
8. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
(a) She must agree to let Caroline have sex with Colin.
(b) She must tell Caroline how good the tea is.
(c) She must tell Caroline all about her relationship with Colin.
(d) She must agree to stay for dinner.
9. What does Colin describe Caroline as?
(a) A goddess
(b) A prisoner
(c) A martyr
(d) A lucky woman
10. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
(a) Men doubt themselves.
(b) Women love peaceful, gentle men.
(c) Women treat men like children.
(d) There are no clearly defined roles for men and women.
11. How does Mary react when Colin changes position while standing on the balcony?
(a) She is inexplicably puzzled.
(b) She is reminded that she forgot her hotel room key.
(c) She notices his good looks.
(d) She is frustrated and angered.
12. Where do Mary and Colin go after leaving the boat?
(a) To the beach
(b) To a restaurant
(c) To Robert and Caroline's apartment
(d) To their hotel room
13. What is the only piece of furniture left in Robert's gallery?
(a) The portraits
(b) The dining table
(c) The dining chairs
(d) The sideboard
14. What does Robert maintain hold of as he and Colin walk through the gallery?
(a) Colin's elbow
(b) One of his father's razors
(c) Colin's hand
(d) Caroline's hand
15. Why does Mary fall asleep in Caroline and Robert's apartment?
(a) She is tired from not sleeping for several days.
(b) Caroline has drugged her.
(c) Robert has drugged her.
(d) She has sunstroke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mary and Colin "sicken" when they use the word "relationship"?
2. Where does Mary go one morning when she awakens before Colin?
3. What does the "apelike" teenage boy spend his time doing while at the beach?
4. What does Robert do at the beginning of this chapter to mark the change in his relationship with Mary and Colin?
5. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)