|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise did Colin make to Caroline?
(a) To kiss her before leaving Venice
(b) To visit her and Robert before he and Mary left Venice
(c) To take her to the doctor
(d) To help her escape from Robert
2. What condition does Caroline tell Mary she must meet before she will disclose how she hurt her back?
(a) She must tell Caroline all about her relationship with Colin.
(b) She must agree to let Caroline have sex with Colin.
(c) She must tell Caroline how good the tea is.
(d) She must agree to stay for dinner.
3. What is notable about the patrons of Robert's bar on this particular night?
(a) They react negatively to the song on the jukebox.
(b) They seem angry and hostile.
(c) They watch Colin with curiosity.
(d) They are much friendlier than they were previously.
4. Why does Mary think Robert took the secret photograph of Colin?
(a) He is secretly in love with Colin.
(b) He thinks Colin has a nice face.
(c) He is stalking Colin and Mary.
(d) Caroline is in love with Colin.
5. What does Caroline say makes her feel more efficient?
(a) Having company in her home
(b) Wearing colorful clothing
(c) Wearing makeup
(d) Wearing white clothing
6. What does Caroline find unusual about Mary's place of employment?
(a) There are few men working there.
(b) Mary makes more money than Colin.
(c) It no longer exists.
(d) There are only women working there.
7. What does Caroline implore Colin to do when he and Mary prepare to leave her home?
(a) Come back to visit again
(b) Stay at home overnight
(c) Stay in touch when they return to England
(d) Kiss her goodnight
8. What does Colin believe is wrong with Mary when she awakens frightened?
(a) She is afraid they will never leave Venice.
(b) She had a nightmare and is not fully awake.
(c) There was an intruder in their hotel room.
(d) She is frightened by her love for Colin.
9. Who owned Robert's home before he and his wife moved there?
(a) His grandfather
(b) His father
(c) The Italian prime minister
(d) An Englishman
10. What does Caroline find "sweet" about Colin?
(a) His modesty
(b) His appearance
(c) His friendliness
(d) His interactions with Mary
11. What does Mary whisper to Colin when he and Robert return to the apartment?
(c) His name
12. What does Colin find unusual about Caroline?
(a) Despite seeming quite meek she has feminist beliefs about marriage.
(b) Despite being in love with Robert she seems to be attracted to Colin.
(c) Despite being in pain she seems to be content.
(d) Despite being trapped in her home she seems quite free.
13. What does Mary see as "the most powerful single principle of organization shaping institutions and individual lives"?
14. Why does Colin insist on leaving the apartment with Mary?
(a) He and Mary have caught sunstroke.
(b) He becomes frightened by Robert's behavior.
(c) He believes she is ill.
(d) They must check out of their hotel and catch their flight to London.
15. Where do Mary and Colin go initially after leaving the beach?
(a) To Robert's apartment
(b) To a restaurant
(c) To their hotel room
(d) To the water taxi dock
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert idolize his father and grandfather?
2. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
3. What does Robert use to critically injury Colin?
4. According to Robert, which of the following is NOT a reason for society's problems?
5. Why does Mary fall asleep in Caroline and Robert's apartment?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)