|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Colin respond to Robert's stories about his family and his wife?
(a) He is touched by Robert's kindness.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He ignores Robert.
(d) He asks many probing questions.
2. What do Mary and Colin forget to take with them when they leave the hotel?
(d) Directions to the restaurant
3. Where does Caroline spend most of her time when in the house?
(a) In the kitchen
(b) In bed
(c) In the courtyard
(d) In the gallery
4. What happens to Mary's legs during the night?
(a) They are bitten by bugs.
(b) They become scraped and bruised.
(c) They become sunburnt.
(d) They are cold.
5. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the main setting of this chapter?
(a) Orchestra music playing
(b) Large groups of tourists
(c) Cool weather
(d) Packed cafes
6. Where is Robert's wife originally from?
(b) The United States
7. Why does Caroline have difficulty moving around the house?
(a) She is in a wheelchair.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is blind.
(d) She has a back injury.
8. Who do Mary and Colin meet while at the cafe?
(a) A fellow Englishman
(d) Mary's ex-husband
9. Where does Caroline say that Mary and Colin's clothes are?
(a) She has put them in a locked cabinet in the bathroom.
(b) She has discarded them.
(c) They have been sent out to a laundry service.
(d) They are in the washing machine.
10. What causes Mary and Colin to begin telling Robert about themselves?
(a) The atmosphere in the bar
(b) Robert's prying questions
(c) Robert's warm demeanor
(d) Drinking wine
11. Why do Mary and Colin not leave the cafe after the waiter shakes his head at their order?
(a) They believe he may actually bring their drinks.
(b) They spot Robert and want to talk to him.
(c) They intend to speak to the manager of the restaurant.
(d) They are too tired to walk.
12. What is notable about Caroline's demeanor when she invites Mary and Colin to dine with her and Robert?
(a) She is excessively polite.
(b) She seems ambivalent about their presence in her home.
(c) She pleads for them to stay.
(d) She seems as if she would rather they did not stay.
13. What does Caroline say will happen if Mary and Colin choose not to dine with her and Robert?
(a) Caroline will feel slighted.
(b) Robert will blame her for their refusal.
(c) Caroline will be left with too much food.
(d) Robert will become angry and will beat her.
14. Which of the following describes Mary and Colin's relationship at the opening of the novel?
(a) New and volatile
(b) Committed, but antagonistic
(c) Committed, but uneventful
(d) New and exciting
15. Why is Robert surprised when his father calls him and his sisters into his study one night?
(a) He believes his sisters should be punished, but he should not.
(b) They are never allowed in there.
(c) They thought they had evaded punishment.
(d) They are only allowed to visit the study in the mornings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Robert react when he realizes Mary and Colin slept on the street the night before?
2. What did Robert do that made his sisters hate him?
3. Which of the following is NOT a location that Mary and Colin visit during this chapter?
4. Where are Mary and Colin vacationing?
5. What does Mary recall provided her with comfort when she was a teenager?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)