|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary make the comment, "'Thank God I'm not a man'" when she, Colin and Robert enter the bar?
(a) There are many beautiful women in the bar.
(b) All of the men in the bar are drunk.
(c) There is a cover charge for men only.
(d) There are only men in the bar.
2. Where do Mary and Colin awaken at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) In a bedroom at Robert's home
(b) In their hotel room
(c) On the streets of Venice
(d) In the hospital
3. What does Mary note about the water in Venice?
(a) It is badly polluted.
(b) It is exceptionally fresh and clean.
(c) It is plentiful.
(d) It tastes like fish.
4. Who does Mary tell Colin they should have brought with them on vacation?
(a) His children
(c) Her ex-husband
(d) Her children
5. How does Mary respond at first to Colin's sexual advances?
(a) She eagerly embraces them.
(b) She ignores them.
(c) She becomes enraged.
(d) She tells him to wait until after dinner.
6. Why does Caroline have difficulty moving around the house?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She is in a wheelchair.
(d) She has a back injury.
7. Why are Mary and Colin not speaking to each other at the beginning of the novel?
(a) They recently fought over their vacation
(b) They can no longer remember the reason
(c) They have fallen out of love
(d) They rarely see eye to eye
8. What does Mary recall provided her with comfort when she was a teenager?
(a) Her family.
(c) Her list of suggestions for self-improvement.
(d) Her diary.
9. What does Caroline say will happen if Mary and Colin choose not to dine with her and Robert?
(a) Robert will become angry and will beat her.
(b) Caroline will feel slighted.
(c) Caroline will be left with too much food.
(d) Robert will blame her for their refusal.
10. How long have Colin and Mary been together?
(a) 7 years
(b) 5 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 7 months
11. Why does Colin wear a woman's dressing gown when he awakens?
(a) His clothes are missing.
(b) He wants to embarrass Mary in front of Caroline.
(c) Mary refuses to give him his clothes.
(d) He wants to see what it is like to be a woman.
12. Why doesn't Robert's mother leave a glass of water in his room at night?
(a) She feels it is her duty to serve Robert.
(b) She knows he needs an excuse to call her into his room when he has a nightmare.
(c) She is afraid he will spill it which will cause his father to punish him.
(d) His father forbids him to have water during the night.
13. Why do Mary and Colin go to the hospital?
(a) They are hoping there is a cafeteria there that sells drinks.
(b) They believe they will find Robert there.
(c) They are injured.
(d) They both have food poisoning.
14. Which of the following is NOT a unique characteristic of the bar Robert takes Mary and Colin to?
(a) The people there are unusually friendly.
(b) There is no food available there.
(c) There are only men in the bar.
(d) The same song plays over and over on the jukebox.
15. What does Mary spend time doing when she awakens?
(a) She talks with Caroline.
(b) She reads while Colin sleeps.
(c) She studies Colin while he is sleeping.
(d) She searches the room they are in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Robert's sisters tell him he must have before eating sweets?
2. Who do Mary and Colin meet while at the cafe?
3. What condition does Caroline require Mary and Colin to meet in order to get their clothes back?
4. Who was considered the head of Robert's family when he was a child?
5. What do Mary and Colin both notice in a store window?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)