|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mary and Colin both notice in a store window?
(b) A feminist poster
(c) A unique bed
(d) Silk pajamas
2. Why do Robert's sisters put him in their father's study after he has eaten sweets?
(a) They want their father to see him with chocolate on his mouth and hands.
(b) They know he will have diarrhea in there and will damage the sacred room.
(c) They know their father will punish him for being in there.
(d) They do not want to get in trouble for feeding him sweets.
3. Why does Mary believe that the feminist posters suggest rapists should be castrated?
(a) To make people see rape as a serious crime
(b) To prevent rapists from becoming repeat offenders
(c) To discourage crime
(d) To make the public take feminists less seriously
4. Why doesn't Robert's mother leave a glass of water in his room at night?
(a) She feels it is her duty to serve Robert.
(b) His father forbids him to have water during the night.
(c) She knows he needs an excuse to call her into his room when he has a nightmare.
(d) She is afraid he will spill it which will cause his father to punish him.
5. Who watches Mary as she walks through Robert's gallery?
(c) Robert's father
6. What does Mary liken the cafe to?
(a) An oasis
(b) A dungeon
(c) A bed
(d) A prison
7. What does Caroline confess to Mary?
(a) She plans to leave Robert.
(b) She sat and watched Mary and Colin while they slept.
(c) She is sexually attracted to Colin.
(d) She is unable to leave her home.
8. Which of the following is NOT a location that Mary and Colin visit during this chapter?
(a) A sidewalk cafe
(b) The quay
(c) The hospital
(d) Their hotel
9. Why do Mary and Colin become concerned when they finally get a table at a cafe?
(a) The restaurant does not serve beverages.
(b) They are at the far edge of the waiter's station and cannot be seen.
(c) They realize they do not have cash with them.
(d) They are unable to read the menu because it is in Italian.
10. How does Colin respond to Robert's stories about his family and his wife?
(a) He asks many probing questions.
(b) He ignores Robert.
(c) He is touched by Robert's kindness.
(d) He falls asleep.
11. What does Mary realize she has forgotten to do for her children?
(a) Give them money
(b) Call them
(c) Buy them presents
(d) Send them postcards
12. How does the waiter react when Mary and Colin order water and coffee?
(a) He orders them to leave the restaurant.
(b) He fills their order immediately.
(c) He tells them the restaurant is out of coffee.
(d) He shakes his head.
13. Where do Mary and Colin believe they will find an open restaurant at the end of the first chapter?
(a) On the other side of the city.
(b) Near the hotel.
(c) In the hotel.
(d) No where.
14. Why does Caroline have difficulty moving around the house?
(a) She is in a wheelchair.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is blind.
(d) She has a back injury.
15. What are Mary and Colin searching for in the morning?
(a) Robert's apartment
(b) Their clothing
(c) Food and water
(d) The police
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mary and Colin not leave the cafe after the waiter shakes his head at their order?
2. What does Robert do to encourage Mary and Colin to return to the bar?
3. Where does Caroline say that Mary and Colin's clothes are?
4. How do Robert's sisters attempt to embarrass him in front of Caroline?
5. Where does Robert sleep when his father is away?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)