|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary notice is different about Robert from the night before?
(a) The style of his clothing
(b) The way he interacts with Colin and her
(c) His sunglasses
(d) The scent of his cologne
2. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the main setting of this chapter?
(a) Large groups of tourists
(b) Cool weather
(c) Packed cafes
(d) Orchestra music playing
3. Where do Mary and Colin believe they will find an open restaurant at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Near the hotel.
(b) In the hotel.
(c) No where.
(d) On the other side of the city.
4. What does Mary note about the water in Venice?
(a) It is badly polluted.
(b) It is exceptionally fresh and clean.
(c) It tastes like fish.
(d) It is plentiful.
5. Why doesn't Robert's father allow him to eat chocolate?
(a) He believes only girls should eat chocolate.
(b) He believes it will make Robert gain weight.
(c) He believes it will make Robert weak.
(d) Robert is allergic to chocolate.
6. Who was considered the head of Robert's family when he was a child?
(a) His mother
(c) His sister Eva
(d) His father
7. What does Caroline say will happen if Mary and Colin choose not to dine with her and Robert?
(a) Caroline will feel slighted.
(b) Robert will become angry and will beat her.
(c) Robert will blame her for their refusal.
(d) Caroline will be left with too much food.
8. Why is Robert surprised when his father calls him and his sisters into his study one night?
(a) They thought they had evaded punishment.
(b) They are only allowed to visit the study in the mornings.
(c) He believes his sisters should be punished, but he should not.
(d) They are never allowed in there.
9. What is Robert's opinion of Italian feminists?
(a) They want to destroy relationships between men and women.
(b) They are more sympathetic than English feminists.
(c) They are too beautiful to love.
(d) They are too radical.
10. How does the waiter react when Mary and Colin order water and coffee?
(a) He tells them the restaurant is out of coffee.
(b) He shakes his head.
(c) He fills their order immediately.
(d) He orders them to leave the restaurant.
11. What does Colin tell Caroline is the only downside to his and Mary's visit to Venice?
(a) They cannot find a restaurant they enjoy eating at.
(b) They find the weather oppressive.
(c) They keep getting lost.
(d) They do not enjoy the hotel they are staying in.
12. What do Mary and Colin forget to take with them when they leave the hotel?
(c) Directions to the restaurant
13. What do Robert's sisters tell him he must have before eating sweets?
(a) Castor oil
(d) A glass of milk
14. Which of the following best describes the ritual Mary and Colin both go through each evening before leaving for dinner?
(b) Self indulgent
15. What does Caroline confess to Mary?
(a) She is sexually attracted to Colin.
(b) She plans to leave Robert.
(c) She is unable to leave her home.
(d) She sat and watched Mary and Colin while they slept.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mary and Colin searching for in the morning?
2. Where is Robert's wife originally from?
3. Who watches Mary as she walks through Robert's gallery?
4. What event becomes a part of each of Mary and Colin's days while on vacation?
5. What comfort does Robert offer Mary and Colin at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)