|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert say he and Caroline have been doing since they last saw Colin and Mary?
2. What topic most often consumes Mary's dreams while on vacation?
(a) Her death
(b) Her children
(c) Her job
3. Why does Mary make the comment, "'Thank God I'm not a man'" when she, Colin and Robert enter the bar?
(a) All of the men in the bar are drunk.
(b) There is a cover charge for men only.
(c) There are many beautiful women in the bar.
(d) There are only men in the bar.
4. Why doesn't Robert's mother leave a glass of water in his room at night?
(a) She knows he needs an excuse to call her into his room when he has a nightmare.
(b) His father forbids him to have water during the night.
(c) She feels it is her duty to serve Robert.
(d) She is afraid he will spill it which will cause his father to punish him.
5. What continually interrupts Mary and Colin's conversation at the beach?
(a) The cries of an unhappy baby
(b) Thoughts of Robert and Caroline
(c) Sounds of noisy teenaged boys
(d) The crash of the waves on the beach
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert's opinion of Italian feminists?
2. In Colin's opinion, what is the mark of a successful vacation?
3. How does Mary respond at first to Colin's sexual advances?
4. Why does Caroline suddenly become still as soon as she begins laughing?
5. Why are Mary and Colin not speaking to each other at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)