* The novel begins uneventfully. A couple, Mary and Colin, is vacationing in Venice together.
* The couple, Mary and Colin, has fallen into a depressing routine that barely includes speaking to each other.
* Each evening, they wake from a nap and silently prepare for dinner.
* One evening they have sex after their nap.
* By the time they leave the hotel, all of the restaurants have closed for the night.
* Certain they will find something open, however, they leave the hotel and go out into the night.
* The two wander out as evening is deepening into night. Colin belatedly realizes that they have forgotten their maps of the city and will be lost without them.
* Colin and Mary discover a department store they had seen before and Italian feminist posters.
* They continue to wander, now with the intent of finding a hot dog vendor they remember passing on...
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)