• The novel begins uneventfully. A couple, Mary and Colin, is vacationing in Venice together.
• The couple, Mary and Colin, has fallen into a depressing routine that barely includes speaking to each other.
• Each evening, they wake from a nap and silently prepare for dinner.
• One evening they have sex after their nap.
• By the time they leave the hotel, all of the restaurants have closed for the night.
• Certain they will find something open, however, they leave the hotel and go out into the night.
• The two wander out as evening is deepening into night. Colin belatedly realizes that they have forgotten their maps of the city and will be lost without them.
• Colin and Mary discover a department store they had seen before and Italian feminist posters.
• They continue to wander, now with the intent of finding a hot dog vendor they remember passing on...
This section contains 1,818 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)