|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Jones never seen before?
(a) The northern border.
(b) A ruined graveyard.
(c) A man die.
(d) A man shot in the stomach.
2. When Tonton Macoutes show up at Brown's hotel, what does Captain Concasseur do to Brown?
(a) Handcuffs him to the porch railing.
(b) Robs him of the money he had hidden in his office.
(c) Holds him at gunpoint on the porch.
(d) Interrogates him thoroughly.
3. Part 3, Chapter 1 opens with a dream that Brown has. What is this dream?
(a) The priest will not give him communion at church.
(b) Joseph comes back with no legs but moves faster than before.
(c) His mother is again lying in her bed, deathly ill.
(d) Martha has locked him in his own house with Angel.
4. What does the priest do with the bodies which the dancers bring to him?
(a) Chants over them.
(b) Holds their feet into the fire.
(c) Holds their arms into the fire.
(d) Burns tiny pieces of their burial shrouds.
5. Why is Martha sad to see Jones leave?
(a) Jones brings an atmosphere of familial comfort.
(b) She is sleeping with Jones.
(c) Jones makes them all laugh.
(d) She is lonely with her husband and son.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jones presents his business plan, what Biblical story is Brown reminded of?
2. Lying on the ground next to his pool, Brown thinks that he and Martha are more intimate than ever before. Why is this?
3. As Jones is escaping from Port-au-Prince, why are he and Brown two hours late for their rendezvous?
4. Why does Brown go to the casino after talking with Jones?
5. While the Tonton Macoutes are ransacking the hotel, what is Brown most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brown feels that the happiest moment he spent with Martha was when they lay outside on the grass, talking. How does this compare to his initial feelings about the relationship? What does this moment portend about the future of their relationship?
2. When Jones realizes that Captain Conasseur is curious about his actions, he comes to Brown's hotel in a panic. What does this tell us about Jones's plan to get rich? How prepared is he to deal with the Tonton Macoutes?
3. From even their first meeting, Brown hesitates to address Jones as "Major Jones." How does this begin to explain Jones's character? How does it prepare the reader for the revelation that Jones has never even seen a man die?
4. Young Philipot, who visits Brown while he is swimming one early afternoon, is consumed with the idea of owning a Bren gun and fighting Papa Doc's army with it. In his idealism, what other character does he resemble and why?
5. The second time Brown visits the casino, the place is drastically changed from the night he met Martha. How is it different? What does this signal about Haiti's economy?
6. As the two men wait out the night in the cemetery, Jones tells Brown the truth about his life. Is this a fitting time for his confession? Why would he confess to Brown instead of anyone else?
7. In order to leave the Medea to travel to the British embassy, Jones dresses as a woman. What is the effect of this costume? How does it reflect on Jones?
8. When Brown picks up Jones at the British embassy to smuggle him out of the city, how has Jones's attitude changed? What motivates this?
9. While lying in bed in the Hotel Trianon, Martha notes to brown that their relationship is no longer an adventure. What are the signs of this change? What are their choices for the future?
10. According to Doctor Magiot in Part 2, Chapter 1, what role does Voodoo play in Haitian culture? What is its relation to Catholicism?
This section contains 1,785 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)