|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jones proud of his expansive liquor traveling case?
(a) It was given to him in his father's will.
(b) He worked six months to be able to afford it.
(c) It was his mother's last gift to him.
(d) He won it on a bet with some soldiers in Burma.
2. Why does Jones want a business partner in the venture he is planning?
(a) To take over when he retires.
(b) To watch things while he travels.
(c) To manage the financial side while he arranges the business contacts.
(d) To assist him with the planning.
3. How do the policemen retaliate for the attack on the police station?
(a) Set fire to several businesses.
(b) Kill two men from the prison.
(c) Re-impose the curfew.
(d) Set fire to three houses along the wharf.
4. Why do the Smiths decide to stay and pursue the building of the vegetarian center?
(a) Mrs. Smith thinks her husband was too hasty in his judgment.
(b) Mr. Smith is rethinking his initial perception of Duvalierville.
(c) They never leave a project unfinished.
(d) They are attracted by the promise of large profits.
5. What is Jones's opinion about swindling the educated people?
(a) The educated are too suspicious.
(b) It only works if you are very lucky.
(c) It is too difficult to risk.
(d) It is always easier.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brown and his ship friend return to the boat, why is the guard at the gangplank not threatening?
2. The day before Brown and Jones leave, why does Captain Concasseur visit Brown at his hotel?
3. Lying on the ground next to his pool, Brown thinks that he and Martha are more intimate than ever before. Why is this?
4. How does the new Secretary for Social Welfare cast suspicion on Doctor Philipot's death?
5. Why does the captain not want to take Jones aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brown feels that the happiest moment he spent with Martha was when they lay outside on the grass, talking. How does this compare to his initial feelings about the relationship? What does this moment portend about the future of their relationship?
2. When Jones realizes that Captain Conasseur is curious about his actions, he comes to Brown's hotel in a panic. What does this tell us about Jones's plan to get rich? How prepared is he to deal with the Tonton Macoutes?
3. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Smith refer several times to their experience in Nashville? Brown wonders this himself, when Mrs. Smith references that incident in order to win an argument with her husband.
4. While lying in bed in the Hotel Trianon, Martha notes to brown that their relationship is no longer an adventure. What are the signs of this change? What are their choices for the future?
5. As the two men wait out the night in the cemetery, Jones tells Brown the truth about his life. Is this a fitting time for his confession? Why would he confess to Brown instead of anyone else?
6. In order to leave the Medea to travel to the British embassy, Jones dresses as a woman. What is the effect of this costume? How does it reflect on Jones?
7. When Brown picks up Jones at the British embassy to smuggle him out of the city, how has Jones's attitude changed? What motivates this?
8. The night before he takes Jones out of Port-au-Prince, Brown wanders through his empty hotel. What does it reveal to the reader about Brown's personality? What is the effect of this scene?
9. What is the significance of saying Doctor Philipot's coffin is filled with bricks?
10. The second time Brown visits the casino, the place is drastically changed from the night he met Martha. How is it different? What does this signal about Haiti's economy?
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)