|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 4, the charge explains what happened to his cook one night when he was supposed to be throwing a party. What happened?
(a) The cook was thrown in jail overnight.
(b) The cook ran away the afternoon before.
(c) The cook refused to cook for those guests.
(d) The cook was captured and tortured all weekend.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, Brown and Joseph discuss what might happen with Doctor Philipot's soul. What is the Voodoo belief about a dead man?
(a) He becomes a ghost and wanders the graveyard all night.
(b) He becomes a zombie and haunts the living.
(c) He ceases to exist.
(d) He moves on to the afterlife if he has lived a worthy life.
3. Why is Martha in Santo Domingo?
(a) Her husband has been transferred to Santo Domingo.
(b) She has left her husband and taken Angel.
(c) She is looking for Brown.
(d) Her husband has been transferred to Lima.
4. Along the border of the Dominican Republic, what does Brown feel?
(a) A sense of curiosity about life beyond the border.
(b) Ambivalence about the differences between the two countries.
(c) A strong desire to flee Haiti.
(d) A sense of peace unlike anything in Haiti.
5. At the police station, when Brown and Smith go to visit Jones, what does the Tonton Macoute guard do?
(a) He makes them wait four hours before going to Jones' cell.
(b) He stares at them through his dark sunglasses.
(c) He demands another $200.
(d) He threatens to have them thrown out.
6. After staying at the Hotel Trianon for two days, what is Mrs. Smith's opinion about Joseph?
(a) He is not competent for the jobs that needs doing.
(b) He is a very pleasant man.
(c) He is a man of all trades.
(d) He oversteps the boundaries of his servant role.
7. In a late-night conversation, Brown and Jones talk about their official jobs titles, which are vague. What does this tell the reader about their relationship?
(a) They reveal details only when they know each other better.
(b) They prefer to play games with the truth.
(c) They are not honest with each other or the Haitians.
(d) They speak the truth only when it is proven that the other one will not betray.
8. From the beginning of their relationship, who makes great demands on Martha's time?
(b) Her husband, the ambassador.
(d) Her lover, a member of the Tontons Macoute.
9. On Brown's property, what does Dr. Philipot do?
(a) Verbally attacks Joseph.
(b) Shoots himself through the heart.
(c) Cuts his wrists and throat in the pool.
(d) Hangs himself.
10. Because Mere Catherine has no Coca-Cola, what does she give Brown to drink with his rum?
(a) Orange juice.
(d) Root beer.
11. Why is Brown not afraid to smuggle Philipot's body off his property?
(a) It was the hour when only Tonton Macoutes and zombies moved about.
(b) He knew he could bribe any Tonton Macoute he met.
(c) Philipot looked drunk rather than dead.
(d) He had put the body in the trunk of the car.
12. Sitting by the pool on his first night home, what does Brown remember?
(a) Joseph's list of things that have gone wrong in his absence.
(b) The sounds of the busy tourist season.
(c) His conversation with Mrs. Smith.
(d) The smell of Martha's perfume.
13. How does Doctor Magiot know Philipot?
(a) They worked at the same hospital in Paris.
(b) They both belonged to the resistance movement.
(c) They frequented the casino together in Port au Prince.
(d) They took an anatomy class together in Paris.
14. Jones reveals his opinion about scruples. What is this opinion?
(a) Scruples have little effect on a man.
(b) Scruples cost a lot.
(c) Scruples are an excuse.
(d) Scruples are not meant to be followed.
15. Why does Joseph limp?
(a) A jeep had run over his foot.
(b) He had a childhood disease that crippled him.
(c) The Tonton Macoutes beat him up.
(d) He was wounded in the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much Latin does Brown remember from his early education?
2. How long does Brown stay with Philipot?
3. Rather than participating in the night of entertainment, what does Mr. Fernandez do?
4. As the hearse is stranded in the road, what does Madame Philipot promise to buy for her son?
5. What moment, as Brown remembers the past, makes him feel that his business was finally a success?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)