|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Brown's property, what does Dr. Philipot do?
(a) Hangs himself.
(b) Verbally attacks Joseph.
(c) Cuts his wrists and throat in the pool.
(d) Shoots himself through the heart.
2. What do the Tonton Macoutes do with the coffin?
(a) Push it off the edge of the cliff so it falls into the sea.
(b) Heave it into the undergrowth.
(c) Put it in the Cadillac trunk and tie it with rope.
(d) Bury it in a secret grave.
3. What are Jones's last words to Philipot?
(a) He regrets coming to Haiti.
(b) He wishes he could have fought better.
(c) He wishes he could have seen Brown one last time.
(d) There is no room for him outside Haiti.
4. Before the bail is posted for Jones's release, what does Brown ask the Secretary of the Interior to do?
(a) Destroy all paperwork relating to his arrest.
(b) Send a competent doctor to fix his wounds.
(c) Sign a waiver of confidentiality.
(d) Convert his American dollars to Haitian gourdes.
5. How does Jones feel about his jail cell?
(a) It is horrifying.
(b) It is unremarkable.
(c) He barely notices it.
(d) It is merely the next step in his journey.
6. Why does Angel want to meet Brown?
(a) Because he is jealous of Brown.
(b) Because Martha egged him on to meet Brown.
(c) So he is not left out from the circle of his parents' friends.
(d) Because he will ask him for chocolate biscuits.
7. Though this occurs before the story starts, why did Brown fly to New York?
(a) To find someone to manage his hotel.
(b) To escape Martha's demands.
(c) To find someone to buy his hotel.
(d) To start life over after his mother's death.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 5, Brown and Joseph discuss what might happen with Doctor Philipot's soul. What is the Voodoo belief about a dead man?
(a) He moves on to the afterlife if he has lived a worthy life.
(b) He ceases to exist.
(c) He becomes a zombie and haunts the living.
(d) He becomes a ghost and wanders the graveyard all night.
9. When Brown walks up the stairs to say hello to Angel, what does the boy show him?
(a) A game with a clown face and two metal beads for eyes.
(b) A picture of his father that he keeps under his pillow.
(c) A card trick involving three jokers.
(d) A puzzle made of magnets.
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, what do Brown and Martha quarrel about?
(a) Jones staying at the embassy.
(b) Their future.
(c) Angel's new school.
(d) The ambassador's new dog.
11. Why does Joseph limp?
(a) He had a childhood disease that crippled him.
(b) He was wounded in the war.
(c) A jeep had run over his foot.
(d) The Tonton Macoutes beat him up.
12. What is the supposed reason for Jones's arrest when he attempts to pass through customs?
(a) His letter of introduction is written to the wrong person.
(b) He refuses to let the customs officers search his bags.
(c) A gun is found in his luggage.
(d) He is carrying something incriminating.
13. Why did Brown give Marcel a large amount of British money?
(a) To bribe him into leaving the hotel.
(b) To ensure he would not talk about the countess.
(c) To buy his third of the hotel.
(d) To help him start life anew in the city.
14. Why is Mr. Smith proud to be involved in Jones's release from jail?
(a) He feels like a law-breaker.
(b) He is thinking of justice and mankind.
(c) He admires Jones.
(d) He wants to brag about it to Mrs. Smith.
15. What happens when Brown and Mr. Smith visit the Secretary of the Interior?
(a) They are able to see the Secretary immediately.
(b) The Secretary pretends to be gone.
(c) They are ignored for nearly an hour.
(d) They must take a number and wait in line for two hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the police station, when Brown and Smith go to visit Jones, what does the Tonton Macoute guard do?
2. From the beginning of their relationship, who makes great demands on Martha's time?
3. Why, according to Philipot, did Jones die?
4. Why is Brown not afraid to smuggle Philipot's body off his property?
5. When Brown disembarks from the Medea, why is Martha sitting in the place she used to rendezvous with him?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)