|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Brown not afraid to smuggle Philipot's body off his property?
(a) He had put the body in the trunk of the car.
(b) It was the hour when only Tonton Macoutes and zombies moved about.
(c) Philipot looked drunk rather than dead.
(d) He knew he could bribe any Tonton Macoute he met.
2. What is the supposed reason for Jones's arrest when he attempts to pass through customs?
(a) He is carrying something incriminating.
(b) His letter of introduction is written to the wrong person.
(c) A gun is found in his luggage.
(d) He refuses to let the customs officers search his bags.
3. Why does Dr. Philipot not want to flee the Tontons Macoute?
(a) Because he would feel less safe in the mountains.
(b) Because he has no money.
(c) Because he is old and tired.
(d) Because his wife persuades him to stay.
4. Brown speaks briefly with the prostitute whom Jones had chosen. Why does the girl like Jones?
(a) He is good in bed.
(b) He protects her from the Tonton Macoutes.
(c) He makes her laugh.
(d) He buys her drinks.
5. What beverage do the Smiths drink most often while onboard the ship?
(a) Orange juice.
6. When Mr. and Mrs. Smith arrive at the hotel, what room do they stay in?
(a) John Barrymore suite.
(b) Harvey Mansfield suite.
(c) Elvis Presley suite.
(d) James D'Iuvillier suite.
7. When Mr. Smith hears that Doctor Philipot had killed himself, what does he want to do?
(a) Visit the widow.
(b) Get an explanation.
(c) Send flowers.
(d) Attend the memorial service.
8. Why is Brown on the military base near Santo Domingo?
(a) To visit his mother's brother.
(b) To apply for a catering job.
(c) To make a political connection.
(d) To apply for an exit visa.
9. Brown's pass is good only for one day, but this is not a problem. Why?
(a) No one will care if he is gone later.
(b) Few policemen can read.
(c) He can bribe the Tontons Macoute to let him be gone longer.
(d) He won't need to show it to anyone.
10. What is the name of the ship on which Brown, Jones, and the Smiths are traveling?
(a) The Medea.
(b) Lady Independence.
(c) Royal Steamer.
(d) The Victoria.
11. Rather than participating in the night of entertainment, what does Mr. Fernandez do?
(a) Bursts into tears.
(b) Bursts out laughing.
(c) Becomes seasick.
(d) Fails to appear at all.
12. When Mr. Smith and Brown unexpectedly meet again in Santo Domingo, what does Mr. Smith offer?
(a) To help Brown escape to the United States.
(b) To draw up a mortgage for Brown's hotel.
(c) To buy Brown's hotel with American dollars.
(d) To find Brown a catering job.
13. How often does the captain dine with the passengers while on their voyage?
(a) Every night.
14. What does the purser do with his "French letters"?
(a) Hides them in his desk for the entire journey.
(b) Shows them off to Brown.
(c) Puts stamps on them so he can mail them when the ship reaches land.
(d) Blows them up into balloons.
15. What is the news of Hamit (who had rented a room to Brown and Martha in the past)?
(a) His body has been found in the forest.
(b) His wife reported him missing.
(c) He has been captured by the Tontons Macoute.
(d) He has disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Brown and the Secretary of the Interior converse briefly in French?
2. Why did Brown give Marcel a large amount of British money?
3. Before the bail is posted for Jones's release, what does Brown ask the Secretary of the Interior to do?
4. Why does Angel want to meet Brown?
5. Four Tonton Macoutes arrive at the foot of Brown's driveway in a Cadillac. What does the leader do after drawing his gun?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)