|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Jones's last words to Philipot?
(a) He regrets coming to Haiti.
(b) He wishes he could have seen Brown one last time.
(c) He wishes he could have fought better.
(d) There is no room for him outside Haiti.
2. After many years of silence, Brown received a message from his mother. What did the message say?
(a) She was traveling to England and would like to see him.
(b) She had bought some property that she would like him to see.
(c) She was slowly dying.
(d) She would like to see him if he ever came to Haiti.
3. What moment, as Brown remembers the past, makes him feel that his business was finally a success?
(a) A young couple promised to vacation there every year.
(b) A girl was making love in the pool in the middle of the night.
(c) His guest registry was full for nearly three months running.
(d) Tourists in the neighboring cities heard about him.
4. What is Brown's idea to help Jones escape?
(a) Send him to fight with Philipot.
(b) Drive him across the border.
(c) Get him an exit-visa through the Venezuelan embassy.
(d) Smuggle him past the Tontons Macoute into the forest.
5. According to the note Doctor Magiot received, where is young Philipot?
(a) Nearly to the sea.
(b) In hiding in Port au Prince.
(c) Safely arrived in Florida.
(d) In the mountains, moving north.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5, what distractions does Brown experience?
2. After staying at the Hotel Trianon for two days, what is Mrs. Smith's opinion about Joseph?
3. Sitting by the pool on his first night home, what does Brown remember?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 4, the charge explains what happened to his cook one night when he was supposed to be throwing a party. What happened?
5. Starting in Part 1, Chapter 1, what problem does Brown have with Jones's name?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)