|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Mr. Smith has turned his back, what happens after he gives money to the beggar?
(a) The beggar buries it in a shallow hole in the sand.
(b) The Secretary takes it from him.
(c) The beggar throws it back at him.
(d) The other man steals it from him.
2. Mrs. Smith is proud of the American ballot that shows her husband's name as a presidential candidate. What is Brown's perception of voting in Haiti?
(a) A person is safer staying home.
(b) Every vote is important.
(c) Only votes that agree with the Tonton Macoute will count.
(d) The effort is not worth the outcome.
3. What were the countess's last words to her son?
(a) "A little luck has come my way at the end."
(b) "What part are you playing now?"
(c) "One must take precautions."
(d) "Your father could never stand his own climate."
4. Why, according to Philipot, did Jones die?
(a) He was shot near the heart.
(b) He sacrificed himself to try save Philipot.
(c) He had an asthma attack.
(d) His flat feet gave out.
5. In Chapter 1 of Part 2, when Brown takes Mr. Smith to the post office, what happens?
(a) They are questioned about their errand by a Tonton Macoute.
(b) Mr. Smith is mobbed by five beggars.
(c) Mr. Smith get in an argument with a one-legged man.
(d) Mr. Smith exits by the wrong door and is lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was striking about the countess's hair?
2. When Brown surveys his desk in his study, what is missing?
3. When Brown arrived for the first time at the Hotel Trianon in Haiti, who was with his mother?
4. How much Latin does Brown remember from his early education?
5. How did Brown enter a casino at a young age?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)