|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brown go to the casino after talking with Jones?
(a) The hotel is empty and he wants a familiar place.
(b) He is hoping to see Martha there.
(c) He wants to dull the memory of his conversation with Jones.
(d) He is desperate for company and has nowhere else to go.
2. While going through his mother's desk after she dies, what did Brown find in the piggy bank?
(a) A few pounds of English money.
(b) A casino token and a medal from the resistance movement.
(c) Outdated currency from the previous government.
(d) A folded picture of a man whom Brown does not recognize.
3. A Tonton Macoute strikes up a conversation with Brown. Who is this man?
(a) A new character in the book.
(b) The one who smashed the windows of the hearse carrying Doctor Philipot's body.
(c) The one responsible for putting Jones in jail.
(d) The leader of the Tontons Macoute.
4. When Jones's business is successful, what does he want to construct?
(a) A pleasure yacht.
(b) A high-class hotel.
(c) A house by the sea.
(d) A golf course.
5. After the war, how did Brown feed himself?
(a) By taking a job he is not proud of and does not describe.
(b) By buying a hotel and becoming a businessman.
(c) By working in the Political Intelligence Department.
(d) By copying famous painters and selling the pieces at high prices.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, Brown and Joseph discuss what might happen with Doctor Philipot's soul. What is the Voodoo belief about a dead man?
2. What is Jones's opinion about swindling the educated people?
3. What were the countess's last words to her son?
4. Where did Brown attend school as a child?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3, as the Smiths are being driven to the airport, what does Mr. Smith do?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)