|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Samuel think is Olivia and Adam’s real mother?
2. What is unusual about Sofia’s mother’s funeral?
3. Which of Corinne’s possessions are given to Nettie after her death?
4. What type of farm do Mary Agnes and Grady run?
5. How did Celie’s real birth father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Olinka people first react to their new missionaries (including Nettie)?
2. How does Shug convince Celie not to kill Mr.?
3. Who is Mary Agnes?
4. Why is Sofia’s mother’s funeral unusual?
5. How has Grady’s life changed since moving to Memphis?
6. Who is Germaine, and how does Celie feel about him?
7. What coming-of-age ritual does Tashi partake in, and what is the reaction to her participation?
8. Why did Shug’s parents kick her out of the house when she was growing up?
9. How does life change for Celie when she moves to Memphis?
10. What is Nettie’s first impression of the Senegalese people she meets during her travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is God represented in the novel? Why is it significant that Celie writes letters to him, and then abruptly stops? How are Celie and Shug’s views of God different? How do their views ultimately relate back to the novel’s title? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of spousal abuse. What are the effects of abuse, specifically on women and gender roles? How does the reader see the cycle of abuse, particularly through Harpo’s character? What message is Walker sending about spousal abuse by making Mr. and Celie friends at the end of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Which character do you think is the best father in the novel? Why? Which character do you think is the worst? In what ways can you see parenting styles, specifically fatherhood, affecting characters as they mature into adulthood? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)