|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nettie accuse Mr. of doing on the night she tried to leave the house?
2. What instrument does Germaine, Shug’s new boyfriend, play?
3. How does Nettie react to the jungle surrounding Olinka?
4. What is the name of the only girl at the Olinka School where Nettie teaches?
5. How does Pa initially react when he first sees Celie on his property?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Shug so mean to Celie when she first moved in?
2. How is the outside world changing Olinka?
3. Why does Millie think Sofia is ungrateful?
4. How do the Olinka people first react to their new missionaries (including Nettie)?
5. How has Corinne’s attitude changed toward Nettie since moving to Africa?
6. How does Shug picture God?
7. What does Celie imagine that God looks like, and how does this affect her relationship with Him?
8. How did the reverend and his wife treat Nettie when they first met her?
9. How does Celie react when she learns that Mr. has been hiding Nettie’s letters?
10. How does Shug convince Celie not to kill Mr.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Walker chose to name Celie’s husband Mr. _________? What message might she be sending the reader by not giving him a last name? In journalistic writing, last names are often omitted to protect certain identities. Might this tradition have influenced Walker in some way? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
How does Celie’s life change when she moves to Memphis? How does her relationship with Shug change, and what does she realize about herself when Shug is on tour? How do the townsfolk react when Celie returns home for Sofia’s mother’s funeral? What is significant about their reaction? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
How does Nettie’s life change when she moves in with Samuel and Corinne? What suspicions do the reverend and his wife have about their new charge? How are these suspicions ultimately resolved, and how does that change Nettie’s life once again? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)