|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Nettie travel to with the hopes of appealing to the government?
2. How does Pa initially react when he first sees Celie on his property?
3. What does Celie inherit when Pa dies?
4. Why doesn’t Celie like the idea of Shug and Germaine dating?
5. How does Millie feel about having Sofia in her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Nettie and Celie’s birth parents?
2. How do Tashi’s parents feel about her befriending Olivia?
3. Why is Olivia the only girl at the Olinka School?
4. What does Nettie do her first evening in Olinka?
5. How do the Olinka people first react to their new missionaries (including Nettie)?
6. How does Celie react when she learns that Mr. has been hiding Nettie’s letters?
7. What is the “surprise” that Shug brings home for the family at Christmas, and how does Mr. react?
8. Why was Shug so mean to Celie when she first moved in?
9. What is rootleaf and why is it important to the Olinkans?
10. What is Nettie’s first impression of the Senegalese people she meets during her travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is sewing a symbol for in the novel? Why is it significant that Celie and Sofia sew a quilt together after Shug moves in? What does the diversity of a patchwork quilt suggest about the relationships in the novel, particularly the female relationships? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Which character do you think is the best father in the novel? Why? Which character do you think is the worst? In what ways can you see parenting styles, specifically fatherhood, affecting characters as they mature into adulthood? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
All throughout her life, Shug struggles to commit to those she loves – from Mr. to Grady to Germaine to Celie, and even to her children. What has caused Celie to avoid close relationships? Choose two of her relationships and discuss why she might have pushed this person away and how her rejection affected her jilted lover. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)