|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Shug so harsh with Celie when they first met?
2. Who does Nettie marry?
3. How many children does Corrine have?
4. Who buys the Olinka land, threatening to take everything away from the villagers?
5. Why do the Olinka people pity Nettie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy get hurt on the day that Celie visits Sofia at the mayor’s house?
2. How does Celie react to the news that Pa has died?
3. What does Nettie do her first evening in Olinka?
4. What coming-of-age ritual does Tashi partake in, and what is the reaction to her participation?
5. How do Tashi’s parents feel about her befriending Olivia?
6. Why is Olivia the only girl at the Olinka School?
7. Who did Pa marry after Celie and Nettie moved out, and what does this suggest about his personality?
8. How does life change for Celie when she moves to Memphis?
9. Why does Millie think Sofia is ungrateful?
10. What does Celie imagine that God looks like, and how does this affect her relationship with Him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of spousal abuse. What are the effects of abuse, specifically on women and gender roles? How does the reader see the cycle of abuse, particularly through Harpo’s character? What message is Walker sending about spousal abuse by making Mr. and Celie friends at the end of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Which character do you think is the best father in the novel? Why? Which character do you think is the worst? In what ways can you see parenting styles, specifically fatherhood, affecting characters as they mature into adulthood? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Walker chose to name Celie’s husband Mr. _________? What message might she be sending the reader by not giving him a last name? In journalistic writing, last names are often omitted to protect certain identities. Might this tradition have influenced Walker in some way? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)