|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Samuel think is Olivia and Adam’s real mother?
2. What is the name of Corrine’s husband?
3. What groundbreaking piece of information does Nettie reveal to Celie in one of her letters?
4. Why was Nettie allowed to join the reverend and his wife on their mission trip?
5. What is the name of the shop Celie opens in Memphis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nettie’s first impression of the Senegalese people she meets during her travels?
2. How does Celie react when she learns that Mr. has been hiding Nettie’s letters?
3. What does Celie imagine that God looks like, and how does this affect her relationship with Him?
4. How does Shug identify Nettie’s hidden letters?
5. How does Shug picture God?
6. How does Pa react when Celie tells him that she knows the truth about her birth parents?
7. Who is Germaine, and how does Celie feel about him?
8. Why is Olivia the only girl at the Olinka School?
9. What is rootleaf and why is it important to the Olinkans?
10. How does Shug convince Celie not to kill Mr.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Walker chose to name Celie’s husband Mr. _________? What message might she be sending the reader by not giving him a last name? In journalistic writing, last names are often omitted to protect certain identities. Might this tradition have influenced Walker in some way? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
How does Celie’s life change when she moves to Memphis? How does her relationship with Shug change, and what does she realize about herself when Shug is on tour? How do the townsfolk react when Celie returns home for Sofia’s mother’s funeral? What is significant about their reaction? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
All throughout her life, Shug struggles to commit to those she loves – from Mr. to Grady to Germaine to Celie, and even to her children. What has caused Celie to avoid close relationships? Choose two of her relationships and discuss why she might have pushed this person away and how her rejection affected her jilted lover. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)