|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy try to kick Sofia while she is watching him?
2. How long does Millie let Sofia visit with her family before taking her back home?
3. Who is the only person Celie has ever loved, aside from Nettie?
4. What does Grady call Shug, which deeply annoys Celie?
5. Which of the following is NOT a place Nettie stops on her way to Olinka?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celie react to the news that Pa has died?
2. How is the outside world changing Olinka?
3. What is the “surprise” that Shug brings home for the family at Christmas, and how does Mr. react?
4. How do Tashi’s parents feel about her befriending Olivia?
5. Why did Shug’s parents kick her out of the house when she was growing up?
6. How did Nettie come to live in Africa?
7. How did the reverend and his wife treat Nettie when they first met her?
8. How has Grady’s life changed since moving to Memphis?
9. How does Pa react when Celie tells him that she knows the truth about her birth parents?
10. Why is Olivia the only girl at the Olinka School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Squeak’s character growth. How is her character described when she is first introduced to the reader? What major event changes the way she views herself, and how does this affect her choices later in life? Why does Squeak revert back to her birth name, Mary Agnes? In what ways is Mary Agnes (Squeak) still a victim at the end of the novel, even though she has taken back her independence? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the day that Celie and Nettie are reunited? What major obstacles did they overcome to be together again in America? How does Celie feel at the end of the novel, and what message does this send to the reader about the value of family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of fatherhood in the novel. Which character do you think is the best father in the novel? Why? Which character do you think is the worst? In what ways can you see parenting styles, specifically fatherhood, affecting characters as they mature into adulthood? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)