|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that Shug should come live in the house with Celie’s family?
2. What color is the fabric Shug donates to the quilt Celie and Sofia are working on?
3. When she returns home, how many children does Sofia now have?
4. Why do Harlo’s kids love Squeak?
5. Who does Celie suggest Harpo hire to help at the new bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr.’s family feel about having Shug in the house?
2. Why is Mr. so emotional with Shug in his house?
3. What happens when Squeak tries to convince the warden to let Sofia out of jail early?
4. How many children does Celie give birth to, and what happens to them?
5. What changes about Harpo’s life after Sofia leaves him?
6. How do Mr. and Celie come to be married?
7. Why does Sofia decide to leave Harpo, and how does he react to the news?
8. What happens when Harpo and Sofia see each other for the first time at the juke joint?
9. What obsessive behavior does Harpo start, and what does this suggest about his character?
10. How does Harpo’s juke joint fare when it first opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, both Shug and Celie were told that they would amount to nothing: Celie was told she was ugly and Shug was told she was evil. How do you see these messages affecting the two women as they matured into adulthood? How did these messages ultimately bring the two women together? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the coming-of-age ritual Tashi partakes in at her village. In what ways is Tashi’s coming-of-age story similar to Celie’s? What symbolism can be found in Tashi’s scars, and how does the novel suggest that scars, both physical and emotional, are healed? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
How does Nettie’s life change when she moves in with Samuel and Corinne? What suspicions do the reverend and his wife have about their new charge? How are these suspicions ultimately resolved, and how does that change Nettie’s life once again? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)