|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Harlo’s kids love Squeak?
2. Why does Mr. have a bad reputation?
3. Who does Celie think about while having sex with her husband on her wedding night?
4. What is a juke joint?
5. Why does Mr. kick Kate out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sofia decide to leave Harpo, and how does he react to the news?
2. What happens when Harpo and Sofia see each other for the first time at the juke joint?
3. Why does Harpo start working in the fields, and how does he feel about it?
4. How do Mr. and Celie come to be married?
5. How does Celie try to protect Nettie from Pa?
6. What brings on Celie’s terrible beating from Pa after church?
7. How does Sofia end up in jail?
8. Why does Celie have trouble sleeping when she thinks about Harpo and Sofia’s relationship?
9. How does Harpo’s juke joint fare when it first opens?
10. How does Mr.’s family feel about having Shug in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Squeak’s character growth. How is her character described when she is first introduced to the reader? What major event changes the way she views herself, and how does this affect her choices later in life? Why does Squeak revert back to her birth name, Mary Agnes? In what ways is Mary Agnes (Squeak) still a victim at the end of the novel, even though she has taken back her independence? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Walker chose to name Celie’s husband Mr. _________? What message might she be sending the reader by not giving him a last name? In journalistic writing, last names are often omitted to protect certain identities. Might this tradition have influenced Walker in some way? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare / contrast the role of white women and black women in the novel. How are their lives the same? How are they different? Why is it significant that Sofia, a strong black woman, would work in Millie, a weak white woman’s house? What do each of the women learn from this experience? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)