|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Nettie allowed to join the reverend and his wife on their mission trip?
(a) Because they thought it would be helpful to have a black attendant.
(b) Because one of the missionaries backed out at the last minute.
(c) Because the church specifically requested that she join.
(d) Because Corrine refused to be parted from her.
2. What is the giveaway on the envelopes that they have come from Nettie, not anyone else?
(a) The handwriting.
(b) The return address on the envelopes.
(c) There is no giveaway.
(d) The stamps.
3. What is Shug’s real name?
4. What does Nettie first notice about the Olinka people?
(a) Their welcoming spirit.
(b) Their white teeth.
(c) Their long dreadlocks.
(d) Their bare chests.
5. What is the final way Corinne hurts Nettie before she dies?
(a) She ships her back to America.
(b) She forbids her from seeing the children.
(c) She calls Nettie a liar.
(d) She slaps her across the face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Corrine’s husband?
2. What groundbreaking piece of information does Nettie reveal to Celie in one of her letters?
3. What part of Tashi’s body is scarred in a coming-of-age ritual?
4. What does Mr. collect, which surprises Celie?
5. What is the name of the only girl at the Olinka School where Nettie teaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Shug so mean to Celie when she first moved in?
2. How does Shug identify Nettie’s hidden letters?
3. How did the reverend and his wife treat Nettie when they first met her?
4. What is the most eye-opening experience for Nettie when she is in New York?
5. Why did Shug’s parents kick her out of the house when she was growing up?
6. How does life change for Celie when she moves to Memphis?
7. Who is Mary Agnes?
8. What coming-of-age ritual does Tashi partake in, and what is the reaction to her participation?
9. Who are Nettie and Celie’s birth parents?
10. What is the “surprise” that Shug brings home for the family at Christmas, and how does Mr. react?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)