|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shug comment on the first time she meets Celie?
(a) Celie’s housekeeping.
(b) Celie’s marriage.
(c) Celie’s religious faith.
(d) Celie’s physical appearance.
2. What makes Shug feel well enough to move out of Mr.’s house?
(a) Her friendship with Celie.
(b) Singing again.
(c) Her new medicine.
(d) A good diet and plenty of exercise.
3. What does Celie think is the major difference between her marriage and Harpo’s?
(a) There is no abuse in Harpo’s marriage but there is in hers.
(b) She and Mr. are childless while Harpo and Sofia can have children.
(c) There is no love in her marriage but there is in Harpo’s.
(d) She and Mr. are old while Harpo and Sofia are young.
4. Who attacks Celie on her wedding day?
(a) Her stepchildren.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Shug Avery.
5. What does Celie’s father think she did church, leading to a terrible beating?
(a) Wink at a boy.
(b) Laugh at the choir.
(c) Bad mouth him.
(d) Shakes the preacher’s hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. have a bad reputation?
2. How does Celie react when Mr. returns home after his frolic with Shug?
3. What color fabric does Celie hope to buy for her very first dress?
4. What part of Harpo’s body does Celie notice is changing due to his excessive habit?
5. Who does Celie suggest Harpo hire to help at the new bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. so emotional with Shug in his house?
2. What obsessive behavior does Harpo start, and what does this suggest about his character?
3. How does Harpo’s juke joint fare when it first opens?
4. What happens when Squeak tries to convince the warden to let Sofia out of jail early?
5. How does Celie come to own her very first dress, and what does it look like?
6. Who is Olivia and where does Celie meet her?
7. How does Harpo react to the news that Sofia’s father doesn’t think he’s good enough for her?
8. Why does Sofia decide to leave Harpo, and how does he react to the news?
9. How do Mr. and Celie come to be married?
10. How does Mr.’s family feel about having Shug in the house?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)