|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Squeak slap Sofia at the bar?
(a) For dancing with Harpo.
(b) For gossiping.
(c) For insulting Celie.
(d) For talking over the lounge singer.
2. What does Shug dedicate to Celie?
(a) A poem.
(b) A song.
(c) A toast.
(d) A dance step.
3. What is Squeak’s real name?
(a) Mary Agnes.
(b) Fanny Jo.
(c) Lucille Dae.
(d) Darla Marie.
4. What does Shug teach Celie about sex?
(a) That it is best when you are in love.
(b) The mechanics of how it works.
(c) All its negative side effects (from unwanted pregnancy to STDs).
(d) That it can be pleasurable.
5. How does Mr.’s father feel about Shug living in the house?
(a) He doesn't know about it.
(b) He is excited by it.
(c) He is outraged by it.
(d) He is apathetic to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. have a bad reputation?
2. What does Shug promise she will do before she moves out?
3. What does Pa say about Celie that convinces Mr. to marry her?
4. How does Harpo’s life change after Sofia leaves him?
5. After moving in with the family, what does Shug want Mr. to do for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many children does Celie give birth to, and what happens to them?
2. What obsessive behavior does Harpo start, and what does this suggest about his character?
3. How does Sofia end up in jail?
4. Why does Celie suddenly feel jealous of Mr. and Shug when she sees them at the juke joint?
5. What brings on Celie’s terrible beating from Pa after church?
6. What is unique about the novel’s style, which is made apparent within the first few pages?
7. What lesson does Shug teach Celie about her sexuality?
8. Who is Olivia and where does Celie meet her?
9. Why does Celie have trouble sleeping when she thinks about Harpo and Sofia’s relationship?
10. What changes about Harpo’s life after Sofia leaves him?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)