|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Celie encourage Nettie to find in town?
(a) The reverend.
(b) The seamstress.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The sheriff.
2. What part of Harpo’s body does Celie notice is changing due to his excessive habit?
(a) His skin.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His belly.
(d) His teeth.
3. Why do Harlo’s kids love Squeak?
(a) Because of her beautiful singing voice.
(b) Because she gives them affection.
(c) Because she never disciplines them.
(d) Because she’s rich.
4. What is a juke joint?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A bar.
(c) A dance step.
(d) A cigarette.
5. What is the name of Sofia’s youngest daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. When she returns home, how many children does Sofia now have?
2. How does Celie react when Mr. returns home after his frolic with Shug?
3. Why doesn’t Sofia’s father think Harpo is good enough for her?
4. How old is Sofia when Harpo proposes to marry her?
5. How many children does Mr. have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celie try to protect Nettie from Pa?
2. Why does Harpo start working in the fields, and how does he feel about it?
3. How do Mr. and Celie come to be married?
4. How does Sofia end up in jail?
5. How does Harpo react to the news that Sofia’s father doesn’t think he’s good enough for her?
6. How does Mr. react when Nettie comes to live with him, and why does she end up leaving?
7. What brings on Celie’s terrible beating from Pa after church?
8. Why does Celie suddenly feel jealous of Mr. and Shug when she sees them at the juke joint?
9. What is unique about the novel’s style, which is made apparent within the first few pages?
10. What lesson does Shug teach Celie about her sexuality?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)