|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Celie hope Nettie will escape from Pa’s house?
(a) Through her education.
(b) By killing him.
(c) By running away.
(d) Through marriage.
2. What does Celie call her father?
(d) The Devil.
3. How does Harpo’s life change after Sofia leaves him?
(a) He begins to make money and date around.
(b) He lives in complete isolation and depression.
(c) He starts drinking and smoking excessively.
(d) He travels the world, starting with Europe.
4. How long is Sofia sentenced for her crime?
(a) 12 weeks.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 12 months.
5. What name did Celie sew into her daughter’s diaper before the baby was taken away from her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Celie writing to in the novel?
2. Why is Celie jealous of Mr. and Shug at Harpo’s bar?
3. How many children do Mr. and Shug have together?
4. Who offers to speak to the warden on Sofia’s behalf?
5. How many children does Mr. have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harpo’s juke joint fare when it first opens?
2. Why does Sofia decide to leave Harpo, and how does he react to the news?
3. What happens when Squeak tries to convince the warden to let Sofia out of jail early?
4. What happens when Harpo and Sofia see each other for the first time at the juke joint?
5. How does Celie come to own her very first dress, and what does it look like?
6. How many children does Celie give birth to, and what happens to them?
7. What changes about Harpo’s life after Sofia leaves him?
8. How does Shug Avery come to live in Celie’s house, and how does Celie feel about this?
9. Why is Mr. so emotional with Shug in his house?
10. How do Carrie and Kate react when they meet Celie for the first time?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)