|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Celie think Nettie is dead after she leaves Mr.’s house?
(a) She hears about an unidentified murder victim whose appearance is similar to Nettie’s.
(b) Nettie constantly worried that someone was after her.
(c) She overhears Mr. talking about how he killed her.
(d) Nettie promises to write letters but none arrive.
2. How does Celie react to the news that Shug Avery is coming to town?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is jealous.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is confused.
3. What does Celie say is keeping Shug alive?
(a) Her love.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her talent.
(d) Her anger.
4. How does Harpo’s life change after Sofia leaves him?
(a) He travels the world, starting with Europe.
(b) He lives in complete isolation and depression.
(c) He starts drinking and smoking excessively.
(d) He begins to make money and date around.
5. In what season were Mr. and Celie married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father’s of Celie’s baby?
2. Where did Harpo meet the girl that he claims to have fallen in love with?
3. What does Shug call Mr. that surprises Celie?
4. Who offers to speak to the warden on Sofia’s behalf?
5. What does the term “bright” mean to Harpo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Shug teach Celie about her sexuality?
2. How do Carrie and Kate react when they meet Celie for the first time?
3. What obsessive behavior does Harpo start, and what does this suggest about his character?
4. What changes about Harpo’s life after Sofia leaves him?
5. Why is Mr. so emotional with Shug in his house?
6. How do Mr. and Celie come to be married?
7. Why does Sofia decide to leave Harpo, and how does he react to the news?
8. How does Celie try to protect Nettie from Pa?
9. What happens when Squeak tries to convince the warden to let Sofia out of jail early?
10. What brings on Celie’s terrible beating from Pa after church?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)