|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Samuel think is Olivia and Adam’s real mother?
2. What groundbreaking piece of information does Nettie reveal to Celie in one of her letters?
(a) That their mother is still alive.
(b) That Pa is not their real father.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she has been having an affair with Samuel.
3. How does Millie feel about having Sofia in her house?
(a) Sofia’s dark skin disgusts her.
(b) She is pleased to have an extra set of hands helping her.
(c) Sofia intimidates her.
(d) She ignores Sofia completely.
4. What vice deeply affects Eleanor Jane in her home?
(a) Drug addiction.
(c) Sexual abuse.
5. What part of Tashi’s body is scarred in a coming-of-age ritual?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her face.
(c) All of the answers are true.
(d) Her back.
6. How does Pa initially react when he first sees Celie on his property?
(a) He embraces her.
(b) He ignores her completely.
(c) He tells her to get off his land.
(d) He doesn’t recognize her.
7. Who discovers that Mr. has been hiding Nettie’s letters?
8. Where did Mr. hide Nettie’s letters?
(a) In his trunk.
(b) In a box under his dirty clothes.
(c) In a tree stump.
(d) Under his bed.
9. Who is the only person Celie has ever loved, aside from Nettie?
10. How does Millie feel when she is surrounded by Sofia’s family?
11. How does Celie communicate with Shug after she stops speaking to her?
(a) She doesn’t communicate; she ignores her completely.
(b) By writing down her thoughts.
(c) With body language.
(d) Through sign language.
12. What does Mr. collect, which surprises Celie?
(c) Snow globes.
13. Which of Corinne’s possessions are given to Nettie after her death?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) Her photo albums of the children.
(c) Her books.
(d) Her clothing.
14. Where does Celie stab Mr. when he tries to stop her from going to Memphis with Shug?
(a) In the hand.
(b) In the side.
(c) In the neck.
(d) In the leg.
15. Why did Nettie decide to move out of Mr.’s house?
(a) Because she couldn’t stand Mr.’s advances.
(b) Because she felt she was putting Celie in danger.
(c) Because she had better opportunities abroad.
(d) Because she wanted her own space.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celie feed Henrietta when she is sick, a trick she learned from Nettie’s letters?
2. Why does Billy try to kick Sofia while she is watching him?
3. What does Mr. compare Celie to when she returns home from Memphis?
4. What is the name of Corrine’s husband?
5. What is unusual about Sofia’s mother’s funeral?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)