|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Shug react when she learns that Celie is no longer writing letters to God?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is understanding.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is upset.
2. Where does Shug own a beautiful new home?
(b) Little Rock.
(c) New Orleans.
3. Who does Mary Agnes ask to look after Suzy Q while she is away?
(a) Eleanor Jane.
4. Why does Nettie tear up all her letters to Celie when she reaches her port?
(a) Because she knows Mr. will never deliver them.
(b) Because her emotions have changed so much, the letters are no longer truthful.
(c) Because she knows Celie cannot read.
(d) Because she is afraid of being caught.
5. How many children does Corrine have?
6. What does Nettie first notice about the Olinka people?
(a) Their welcoming spirit.
(b) Their bare chests.
(c) Their white teeth.
(d) Their long dreadlocks.
7. What does Mr. compare Celie to when she returns home from Memphis?
(a) A fish.
(b) A lion.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bird.
8. Why does Celie want to see Pa before she moves to Memphis?
(a) To properly say goodbye.
(b) To confront him about her past.
(c) To ask him for money.
(d) To update him about Nettie.
9. What type of farm do Mary Agnes and Grady run?
10. What instrument does Germaine, Shug’s new boyfriend, play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The saxophone.
(c) The drums.
(d) The flute.
11. Who does Nettie marry?
(d) The Olinka chief.
12. How long was Sofia kept in prison before her early release?
(a) Eleven and a half years.
(b) One year and one month.
(c) Nine years and nine months.
(d) Seven years and three months.
13. Who is the only person Celie has ever loved, aside from Nettie?
14. How does Pa initially react when he first sees Celie on his property?
(a) He ignores her completely.
(b) He doesn’t recognize her.
(c) He tells her to get off his land.
(d) He embraces her.
15. How does Celie picture God?
(a) As a black man who lives in the shadows.
(b) As a beast similar to the devil.
(c) As a genderless, ageless entity, like a cloud in the sky.
(d) As a white man with a long white beard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Tashi’s body is scarred in a coming-of-age ritual?
2. What groundbreaking piece of information does Nettie reveal to Celie in one of her letters?
3. Why did Shug’s parents kick her out of the house when she was young?
4. What is the first thing that Nettie’s letters reveal to Celie?
5. How did Shug and Grady meet?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)