|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vice deeply affects Eleanor Jane in her home?
(b) Drug addiction.
(d) Sexual abuse.
2. What does Mr. compare Celie to when she returns home from Memphis?
(a) A fish.
(b) A dog.
(c) A lion.
(d) A bird.
3. Where does Shug own a beautiful new home?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Little Rock.
4. What instrument does Germaine, Shug’s new boyfriend, play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The flute.
(c) The drums.
(d) The saxophone.
5. For whom does Sofia work when she is released from prison?
(a) The butcher.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The reverend.
(d) The mayor.
6. How does Millie feel when she is surrounded by Sofia’s family?
7. How did the reverend and his wife treat Nettie when she first arrived?
(a) They hired her in as a maid.
(b) They ignored her completely.
(c) They welcomed her as a long lost family member.
(d) The made her pay room and board, like a lodger.
8. How does Celie communicate with Shug after she stops speaking to her?
(a) Through sign language.
(b) She doesn’t communicate; she ignores her completely.
(c) With body language.
(d) By writing down her thoughts.
9. What is the name of the shop Celie opens in Memphis?
(a) Pantalones Company.
(b) Party Pants.
(c) Folkspants Unlimited.
10. What is the “big surprise” Shug reveals at Christmas?
(a) A pair of pants for Celie.
(b) Her new husband.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A car for Mr.
11. What is the giveaway on the envelopes that they have come from Nettie, not anyone else?
(a) The return address on the envelopes.
(b) The stamps.
(c) There is no giveaway.
(d) The handwriting.
12. Why did Shug’s parents kick her out of the house when she was young?
(a) Because she disgraced them with an out-of-wedlock pregnancy.
(b) Because there were simply too many children in the house.
(c) Because she was wild.
(d) Because they had to move to a smaller place.
13. Where did Mr. hide Nettie’s letters?
(a) In his trunk.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In a box under his dirty clothes.
(d) In a tree stump.
14. Why was Nettie allowed to join the reverend and his wife on their mission trip?
(a) Because the church specifically requested that she join.
(b) Because Corrine refused to be parted from her.
(c) Because they thought it would be helpful to have a black attendant.
(d) Because one of the missionaries backed out at the last minute.
15. How did Celie’s real birth father die?
(a) No one knows.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He was lynched.
(d) He drowned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Millie feel about having Sofia in her house?
2. Who teaches Millie how to drive?
3. What is the final way Corinne hurts Nettie before she dies?
4. How many children does Corrine have?
5. How long does Millie let Sofia visit with her family before taking her back home?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)