|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Celie think Nettie is dead after she leaves Mr.’s house?
(a) Nettie promises to write letters but none arrive.
(b) She overhears Mr. talking about how he killed her.
(c) Nettie constantly worried that someone was after her.
(d) She hears about an unidentified murder victim whose appearance is similar to Nettie’s.
2. Who does Celie encourage Nettie to find in town?
(a) The reverend.
(b) The seamstress.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The doctor.
3. How does Sofia react to being slapped?
(a) She laughs in Squeak’s face.
(b) She punches Squeak in the face.
(c) She leaves the bar.
(d) She ignores Squeak completely.
4. What name did Celie sew into her daughter’s diaper before the baby was taken away from her?
5. What does Shug comment on the first time she meets Celie?
(a) Celie’s religious faith.
(b) Celie’s housekeeping.
(c) Celie’s marriage.
(d) Celie’s physical appearance.
6. What does Celie say is keeping Shug alive?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her talent.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her love.
7. What one activity won’t Mr. help with for Shug’s care?
(a) He won’t lift her in and out of bed.
(b) He won’t change her sheets.
(c) He won’t clean up her vomit.
(d) He won’t bathe her.
8. Why does Harpo think Sofia refuses to mind him?
(a) She is too stupid.
(b) She is too stubborn.
(c) She is too spoiled.
(d) She is too immature.
9. What does Celie feel so guilty about that she struggles to sleep at night?
(a) Encouraging Harpo to beat his wife.
(b) Taking the Lord's name in vein.
(c) Stealing money from Sofia’s purse.
(d) Having impure thoughts about Shug Avery.
10. What does Mr.’s brother, Tobias, bring for Shug when he visits?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A tin of condensed milk.
(c) A box of chocolates.
(d) A Bible.
11. Who decides that Shug should come live in the house with Celie’s family?
12. What interesting household task is Sofia completing when Celie visits to speak to her about Harpo?
(a) Resealing the windows.
(b) Changing the oil in the car.
(c) Mowing the lawn.
(d) Fixing the roof.
13. Who does Sofia move in with after she leaves Harpo?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her sister.
14. Why doesn’t Sofia’s father think Harpo is good enough for her?
(a) Because of his occupation.
(b) Because of his skin color.
(c) Because of his family history.
(d) Because of his lack of education.
15. Which of the following words does Shug use to describe Celie when they first meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Celie’s sister?
2. How does Celie’s mother die?
3. What does Shug promise she will do before she moves out?
4. How does Mr.’s attitude change after Shug moves in?
5. Who is the father’s of Celie’s baby?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)