|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sofia finally decide to leave Harpo?
(a) Because he beats her.
(b) Because she has fallen in love with someone else.
(c) Because he kicks her out.
(d) Because she bored.
2. Why do Harlo’s kids love Squeak?
(a) Because she’s rich.
(b) Because of her beautiful singing voice.
(c) Because she never disciplines them.
(d) Because she gives them affection.
3. What bothers Celie about her father’s new wife?
(a) She is not a good cook.
(b) She is not religious.
(c) She has a shrieking voice.
(d) She is physically affectionate.
4. What does Shug teach Celie about sex?
(a) The mechanics of how it works.
(b) All its negative side effects (from unwanted pregnancy to STDs).
(c) That it can be pleasurable.
(d) That it is best when you are in love.
5. How does Sofia react to being slapped?
(a) She punches Squeak in the face.
(b) She ignores Squeak completely.
(c) She laughs in Squeak’s face.
(d) She leaves the bar.
6. What is the name of Sofia’s youngest daughter?
7. What one activity won’t Mr. help with for Shug’s care?
(a) He won’t change her sheets.
(b) He won’t clean up her vomit.
(c) He won’t lift her in and out of bed.
(d) He won’t bathe her.
8. What does the term “bright” mean to Harpo?
9. How long does Mr. leave Celie alone when Shug comes to town?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) Four days.
10. Who is the father’s of Celie’s baby?
(a) Her brother.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Her father.
(d) She doesn't know.
11. Which of the following words does Shug use to describe Celie when they first meet?
12. Why is Sophia arrested?
(a) For attacking the mayor.
(b) For her fight with Squeak.
(c) For starting a fire.
(d) For underage drinking.
13. How does Celie hope Nettie will escape from Pa’s house?
(a) Through her education.
(b) Through marriage.
(c) By killing him.
(d) By running away.
14. Why does Harpo refuse to help Celie out around the house?
(a) Because he thinks it is women’s work.
(b) Because he hates Celie.
(c) Because his father has forbidden it.
(d) Because he is always too tired.
15. What is Shug’s occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Celie react when Mr. returns home after his frolic with Shug?
2. Why does Harpo fear his new business will fail?
3. How many children do Mr. and Shug have together?
4. What color is the fabric Shug donates to the quilt Celie and Sofia are working on?
5. What does Shug comment on the first time she meets Celie?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)