|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to speak to the warden on Sofia’s behalf?
2. Who does Sofia move in with after she leaves Harpo?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
3. What is the name of Sofia’s youngest daughter?
4. What does Shug teach Celie about sex?
(a) That it is best when you are in love.
(b) All its negative side effects (from unwanted pregnancy to STDs).
(c) The mechanics of how it works.
(d) That it can be pleasurable.
5. How does Celie’s mother die?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She dies due to childbirth complications.
(c) Her husband murders her.
(d) She accidentally drowns in the river.
6. In what season were Mr. and Celie married?
7. What interesting household task is Sofia completing when Celie visits to speak to her about Harpo?
(a) Fixing the roof.
(b) Resealing the windows.
(c) Mowing the lawn.
(d) Changing the oil in the car.
8. How does Celie react when Mr. returns home after his frolic with Shug?
(a) She is curious.
(b) She is depressed.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is jealous.
9. Why does Harpo fear his new business will fail?
(a) Because all his employees quit.
(b) Because he doesn’t have enough customers.
(c) Because he doesn’t have a liquor license.
(d) Because his prices are too high.
10. How does Celie react to the news that Shug Avery is coming to town?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is apathetic.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is excited.
11. Who tries to keep Celie in school before Pa pulls her out?
(a) No one.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her husband.
12. What is Shug’s occupation?
13. Who does Celie think about while having sex with her husband on her wedding night?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Shug Avery.
(d) Her teacher.
14. How does Sofia react to being slapped?
(a) She laughs in Squeak’s face.
(b) She punches Squeak in the face.
(c) She ignores Squeak completely.
(d) She leaves the bar.
15. Why does Mr. kick Kate out of the house?
(a) For encouraging Celie’s independence.
(b) For stealing from him.
(c) For slapping Celie across the face.
(d) For smoking a cigarette in front of the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shug promise she will do before she moves out?
2. What part of Harpo’s body does Celie notice is changing due to his excessive habit?
3. What does Celie think is the major difference between her marriage and Harpo’s?
4. Which of the following characters receives most of Mr.’s praise at home?
5. Why is Mr. upset with the townsfolk after Shug moves in with him?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)