|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Sofia sentenced for her crime?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 12 weeks.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 12 months.
2. Who is the father’s of Celie’s baby?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Her father.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) Her brother.
3. Why doesn’t Mr. want to marry Celie?
(a) Because he thinks she is ugly.
(b) Because he is afraid of Pa’s jealousy.
(c) Because he is truly in love with Nettie.
(d) Because she is too old for him.
4. What does Shug comment on the first time she meets Celie?
(a) Celie’s religious faith.
(b) Celie’s marriage.
(c) Celie’s physical appearance.
(d) Celie’s housekeeping.
5. What is a juke joint?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A bar.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A dance step.
6. How does Harpo’s life change after Sofia leaves him?
(a) He travels the world, starting with Europe.
(b) He starts drinking and smoking excessively.
(c) He begins to make money and date around.
(d) He lives in complete isolation and depression.
7. Why does Sofia finally decide to leave Harpo?
(a) Because she bored.
(b) Because she has fallen in love with someone else.
(c) Because he beats her.
(d) Because he kicks her out.
8. How do Celie’s sisters-in-law feel about her housekeeping skills?
(a) They are impressed.
(b) They are disgusted.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are confused.
9. Why does Harpo think Sofia refuses to mind him?
(a) She is too stubborn.
(b) She is too immature.
(c) She is too stupid.
(d) She is too spoiled.
10. What does the term “bright” mean to Harpo?
11. How does Celie’s mother die?
(a) She dies due to childbirth complications.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) Her husband murders her.
(d) She accidentally drowns in the river.
12. Which of the following words does Shug use to describe Celie when they first meet?
13. Why do Harlo’s kids love Squeak?
(a) Because she never disciplines them.
(b) Because she’s rich.
(c) Because she gives them affection.
(d) Because of her beautiful singing voice.
14. Why does Harpo refuse to help Celie out around the house?
(a) Because he thinks it is women’s work.
(b) Because he hates Celie.
(c) Because he is always too tired.
(d) Because his father has forbidden it.
15. What is Squeak’s real name?
(a) Fanny Jo.
(b) Lucille Dae.
(c) Mary Agnes.
(d) Darla Marie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. react when he learns that Sofia is pregnant?
2. What makes Shug feel well enough to move out of Mr.’s house?
3. Why is Celie jealous of Mr. and Shug at Harpo’s bar?
4. How old is Celie the first time her father sexually assaults her?
5. What is Celie’s nickname for Henry Broadnax?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)