|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides that Shug should come live in the house with Celie’s family?
2. How does Mr. encourage Harpo to keep his wife in line?
(a) By keeping her pregnant.
(b) By beating her.
(c) By paying her compliments.
(d) By sleeping with other women.
3. What name did Celie sew into her daughter’s diaper before the baby was taken away from her?
4. Who attacks Celie on her wedding day?
(a) Her stepchildren.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Shug Avery.
(d) Her sister.
5. What does Pa say about Celie that convinces Mr. to marry her?
(a) That she is a good cook.
(b) That she is smart and a quick thinker.
(c) That she will make a good stepmother to his children.
(d) That she responds well to beatings.
6. Who does Celie encourage Nettie to find in town?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) The reverend.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The seamstress.
7. Why is Mr. upset with the townsfolk after Shug moves in with him?
(a) He hears that they have been spreading gossip about their relationship.
(b) Because they bought all the milk from the stores even though Shug needs it.
(c) Because they have started ignoring him at church.
(d) He feels that they have abandoned her in her time of need.
8. What bothers Celie about her father’s new wife?
(a) She is physically affectionate.
(b) She is not religious.
(c) She has a shrieking voice.
(d) She is not a good cook.
9. How old is Celie the first time her father sexually assaults her?
10. Who is the father’s of Celie’s baby?
(a) Her father.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) Her brother.
(d) The preacher.
11. Why is Sophia arrested?
(a) For her fight with Squeak.
(b) For underage drinking.
(c) For attacking the mayor.
(d) For starting a fire.
12. Why does Mr. kick Kate out of the house?
(a) For stealing from him.
(b) For smoking a cigarette in front of the children.
(c) For encouraging Celie’s independence.
(d) For slapping Celie across the face.
13. What does Shug promise she will do before she moves out?
(a) Teach Celie how to read.
(b) Stop Mr.’s abuse.
(c) Save Harpo’s marriage.
(d) Finish the quilt.
14. What does Celie feel so guilty about that she struggles to sleep at night?
(a) Stealing money from Sofia’s purse.
(b) Encouraging Harpo to beat his wife.
(c) Taking the Lord's name in vein.
(d) Having impure thoughts about Shug Avery.
15. How does Celie’s mother die?
(a) Her husband murders her.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She dies due to childbirth complications.
(d) She accidentally drowns in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Shug feel well enough to move out of Mr.’s house?
2. What does Shug dedicate to Celie?
3. What is Squeak’s real name?
4. What does Celie’s father think she did church, leading to a terrible beating?
5. Who does Celie suggest Harpo hire to help at the new bar?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)