• The novel is written in epistolary form through Celie’s letters to God.
• Celie is fourteen-years-old when her father starts raping her. Celie’s mother, a cruel woman, has recently had another baby and begun refusing her husband’s sexual advances. This is why Pa turns his attention to his teenage daughter.
• Soon after, Celie’s mother dies due to complications with her most recent labor. Around the same time, Celie gives birth to the first of her children with Pa, a girl, whom Pa immediately takes away from her.
• Celie believes Pa takes the baby into the woods and kills it, but she cannot be sure. She is almost immediately pregnant again. The second child is a boy, whom Pa also removes from the house but Celie hopes has been sold to a wealthy family rather than killed.
• Pa begins ignoring Celie and starts paying...
This section contains 4,130 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)