|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ruth meet outside the church?
2. What kind of church is the Suffolk High School graduation ceremony held in?
3. Who dies at the beginning of this chapter?
4. Where does Ruth decide to move to in this chapter?
5. Who advises Ruth to marry Hunter Jordan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the book.
2. What does Aubrey Rubenstein tell James in Chapter 22?
3. What problems do Ruth and Andrew have getting married?
4. How have Ruth's parents lives changed?
5. How does Rocky try to take advantage of Ruth?
6. Why does Ruth go back to Virginia in Chapter 19?
7. In what way does James think his mother is a success?
8. Describe Andrew and Ruth's relationship.
9. How does Andrew help Ruth get over her mother's death?
10. How does Ruth's relationship with Andrew affect her family life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine McBride's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does McBride's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Hunter Jordan and Andrew McBride.
1) What attracted both of them to Ruth?
2) How did they both improve Ruth's life?
3) What were their similarities and differences?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)