|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of church is the Suffolk High School graduation ceremony held in?
2. Who did David become friends with while working on the Wilmington News Journal?
3. Which of Ruth's friends dies in this chapter?
4. Which of Ruth's siblings lives in Brooklyn?
5. What does Rocky send Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth react to Irene's death?
2. How have Ruth's parents lives changed?
3. What problems does James say he had as a child of mixed race?
4. Why does Ruth go back to Virginia in Chapter 19?
5. How does Rocky try to take advantage of Ruth?
6. Why does Ruth struggle to find a place she wants to be buried?
7. Describe Halina's time in an underground prison.
8. How does James feel about his father?
9. Why is James anxious to move to Delaware?
10. Who is David Wind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruth treat her past with such disregard? How has Ruth's view of the past affected James and his siblings? How has Ruth harmed herself by disregarding her past?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how James' life compares with his mother's.
1) What individual difficulties did both characters endure?
2 How did they use their experiences in life to help one another?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McBride use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)