|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James force his mother to do in this chapter?
2. Who did David become friends with while working on the Wilmington News Journal?
3. What is the name of the theater where Rocky likes to take Ruth?
4. What type of cancer is Ruth diagnosed with in this chapter?
5. Who was Halina hiding from in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does James say he had as a child of mixed race?
2. Why does Ruth struggle to find a place she wants to be buried?
3. Describe the wedding James and Ruth attend in this chapter.
4. Summarize the book.
5. How does Rocky try to take advantage of Ruth?
6. Describe Halina's time in an underground prison.
7. Why does Ruth go back to Virginia in Chapter 19?
8. In what way does James' life take a turn for the better in Delaware?
9. Describe the time James tried to teach his mother how to drive.
10. How does Andrew help Ruth get over her mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine James' reasons for writing the book.
1) What does James want to achieve through writing the book?
2) What has James eventually achieved by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What events in James' early life influenced him to become a musician? How different do the students think James' life would have been if she had not grown up in poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)