|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was James named after?
2. What kind of career did Andrew want to pursue in New York?
3. Where does James stay the night in this chapter?
4. Where does David work?
5. Whose records did James obtain form the U.S. army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruth go back to Virginia in Chapter 19?
2. Describe the wedding James and Ruth attend in this chapter.
3. How does Andrew help Ruth get over her mother's death?
4. Who is David Wind?
5. How does Ruth react to Irene's death?
6. What does Aubrey Rubenstein tell James in Chapter 22?
7. How does Rocky try to take advantage of Ruth?
8. How does James feel about his father?
9. How does Ruth's relationship with Andrew affect her family life?
10. What does James later learn about his mother's driving skills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Compare McBride's character to his mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did James learn from his mother? How did James' mother's situation and personality motivate her?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)