|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does James' stepfather visit them?
2. What does James say Daddy always has his pockets full with?
3. What does James call his stepfather?
4. What did Ruth's father open in Virgina?
5. Why is Ruth's family disliked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth's school years.
2. How does the 1960s black power affect James in Chapter 3?
3. What is the state of black people's lives in the 1930s?
4. How did Ruth and her family live in America when they first arrived?
5. Describe Sam's life.
6. Why is music important to James?
7. How does James react to Hunter's death?
8. Describe the cool father at the end of Chapter 4.
9. How does Ruth react to Hunter Jordan's death?
10. How does Peter change Ruth's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ruth's Jewish upbringing influence her approach to life? How does Ruth's approach change when she converts to Christianity? In what way does James suggest his mother struggled with her conversion to Christianity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 3
Examine McBride's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does McBride's style give to his story?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)