|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job did Ruth's father have when he first arrived in America?
2. What does Ruth's father keep behind the counter in his store?
3. Who does James say he once robbed as a teenager?
4. What is the name of Ruth's brother?
5. Who does Ruth remember riding through town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth's school years.
2. Why is music important to James?
3. How does Ruth's life take a turn for the worse when the family moves to Virginia?
4. Describe what happens when Ruth asks James to take the milk back to the shop.
5. How do things begin to go downhill for James when Hunter Jordan dies?
6. Why is Chapter 2 written in italics?
7. What incident confirms to James that the color of his mother's skin puts her in danger?
8. What is the state of black people's lives in the 1930s?
9. How does Ruth respond when James asks what color God is?
10. How does James react to Hunter's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound affect on McBride's life and how did they change him?
Essay Topic 2
What insight does James give about the Great Depression in the Thirties? How does Ruth's parents cope with the Great Depression? In what way does the Great Depression destroy, or almost destroy, the lives of people close to Ruth? What did American society learn from the Great Depression in the Thirties?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ruth's Jewish upbringing influence her approach to life? How does Ruth's approach change when she converts to Christianity? In what way does James suggest his mother struggled with her conversion to Christianity?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)