|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the blacks come into the store to purchase in the Thirties?
2. Who is the first person to find out about Ruth's pregnancy?
3. What does James call his stepfather?
4. What kind of hat is the boy's father wearing?
5. What kind of shops are in Manhattan's Lower East Side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth's school years.
2. What incident confirms to James that the color of his mother's skin puts her in danger?
3. Why did James think his mother was strange?
4. How does James react to Hunter's death?
5. Describe what happens when Ruth asks James to take the milk back to the shop.
6. How did Ruth and her family live in America when they first arrived?
7. Describe Jame McBride's family life.
8. What is the state of black people's lives in the 1930s?
9. Describe Sam's life.
10. Why does James hit the boy he meets on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how James' life compares with his mother's.
1) What individual difficulties did both characters endure?
2 How did they use their experiences in life to help one another?
Essay Topic 2
Examine James' reasons for writing the book.
1) What does James want to achieve through writing the book?
2) What has James eventually achieved by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine what the following generations experienced during their time in America:
1) Ruth's grandparents
2) Ruth's parents
3) Ruth and her siblings
4) James and his siblings
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)