|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week does Hunter always arrive at their house?
2. What does Ruth say she was starved of?
3. Who does James say he once robbed as a teenager?
4. What kind of business does Aunt Mary run?
5. What does Ruth say God is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is music important to James?
2. What incident confirms to James that the color of his mother's skin puts her in danger?
3. Describe the household James was brought up in.
4. Describe the cool father at the end of Chapter 4.
5. How does the 1960s black power affect James in Chapter 3?
6. How did Ruth and her family live in America when they first arrived?
7. What does Ruth say about her parents' marriage in Chapter 3?
8. Describe Ruth's school years.
9. How does Ruth's life take a turn for the worse when the family moves to Virginia?
10. What is the state of black people's lives in the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine McBride's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does McBride's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine James' reasons for writing the book.
1) What does James want to achieve through writing the book?
2) What has James eventually achieved by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1960s.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)