|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does James say he once robbed as a teenager?
2. What do the children eat at Daddy's cousin's house?
3. What kind of hat is the boy's father wearing?
4. What sits outside of Ruth's apartment after Hunter dies?
5. What part of Virginia did Ruth and her family move to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did James think his mother was strange?
2. How does Ruth's friend, Frances, support her?
3. Describe Jame McBride's family life.
4. Describe Sam's life.
5. How does James react to Hunter's death?
6. What happens to James when his mother forgets to pick him up from kindergarten?
7. How does Ruth respond when James asks what color God is?
8. What incident confirms to James that the color of his mother's skin puts her in danger?
9. In what way was church always a joyous affair for both James and his mother?
10. What are the problems in dating Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way McBride uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound affect on McBride's life and how did they change him?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)