|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color packets does the BC powder come in?
2. What city does Sam leave for?
3. Where does James find a job in Kentucky?
4. What did James' father die of?
5. What does Aunt Betsy arrange for Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam's leaving home affect Ruth?
2. Why is Chapter 2 written in italics?
3. What incident confirms to James that the color of his mother's skin puts her in danger?
4. How does James react to Hunter's death?
5. What is the state of black people's lives in the 1930s?
6. What are the problems in dating Peter?
7. Describe the cool father at the end of Chapter 4.
8. Describe the character of Daddy.
9. How does Ruth's family react to her pregnancy?
10. How does Ruth respond when James asks what color God is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ruth's Jewish upbringing influence her approach to life? How does Ruth's approach change when she converts to Christianity? In what way does James suggest his mother struggled with her conversion to Christianity?
Essay Topic 2
Compare McBride's character to his mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did James learn from his mother? How did James' mother's situation and personality motivate her?
Essay Topic 3
Examine what the following generations experienced during their time in America:
1) Ruth's grandparents
2) Ruth's parents
3) Ruth and her siblings
4) James and his siblings
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)