|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style of lettering is this chapter written in?
(b) Greek letters
(d) Roman numerals
2. What does James say the preacher at church dots his sermons with?
(c) Hand claps
3. What country was James' mother born in?
4. What religion was James' father?
5. What war does Sam fight in?
(a) World War I
(b) World War II
(c) The Vietnam War
(d) The Korean War
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hat is the boy's father wearing?
2. Why can Ruth not eat Frances' mother's food?
3. What did Hunter die of?
4. What kind of job did Ruth's father have when he first arrived in America?
5. What language can Ruth speak as well as English?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam's leaving home affect Ruth?
2. How does Ruth respond when James asks what color God is?
3. What happens to James when his mother forgets to pick him up from kindergarten?
4. How does James react to Hunter's death?
5. What incident confirms to James that the color of his mother's skin puts her in danger?
6. Why is music important to James?
7. Describe the household James was brought up in.
8. How does Ruth's life take a turn for the worse when the family moves to Virginia?
9. Why is Chapter 2 written in italics?
10. How did Ruth and her family live in America when they first arrived?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)