|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James say the preacher at church dots his sermons with?
(c) Hand claps
2. Where does James' mother work?
(a) Chase Manhatten Bank
(b) The Empire State Building
(c) Studio 54
(d) Warhol's Factory
3. What does James say he and his siblings are confused by?
(a) Their color
(b) The upperclasses
(c) Who their father is
(d) Their nationality
4. What do the muggers take from Ruth?
(a) Her groceries
(b) Her blouse
(c) Her life
(d) Her purse
5. What does James call his stepfather?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to find out about Ruth's pregnancy?
2. Why does James hit the boy?
3. What did James' father die of?
4. Why can Ruth not eat Frances' mother's food?
5. What was the name of James' stepfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth's parents.
2. What is the state of black people's lives in the 1930s?
3. How does Ruth's life take a turn for the worse when the family moves to Virginia?
4. What are the problems in dating Peter?
5. How did Ruth and her family live in America when they first arrived?
6. How does Betsy react to Ruth's pregnancy?
7. How do things begin to go downhill for James when Hunter Jordan dies?
8. How does James react to Hunter's death?
9. Describe Jame McBride's family life.
10. Why is Chapter 2 written in italics?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)