|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Andrew originally from?
(a) South Carolina
(c) North Carolina
(d) New York
2. Who advises Ruth to marry Hunter Jordan?
(a) Her father
(d) Andrew's parents
3. What do people presume all white girls in Harlem are?
4. Which of the following of Ruth's children do not go to Suffolk with her?
5. What is the name of the new man Aunt Mary hires in this chapter?
(a) Andrew McBride
(b) Harper Davis
(c) Jason Horace
(d) Junior Browne
6. Who does Ruth say she missed in this chapter?
7. What part of New York is Ruth's mother's hospital?
(a) The Bronx
8. What kind of job does Ruth find in this chapter?
(b) Organ player
9. What does Ruth decide she will never do again in this chapter?
(b) Play the piano
10. Who was James named after?
(a) James Brown
(b) Jimmy White
(c) James Dean
(d) Andrew's Uncle Jim
11. What is James' girlfriend's job?
(a) Pool shark
12. Who does James go out for a walk with at the end of the book?
(c) David's wife
13. Who was Halina hiding from in 1942?
(a) The Nazis
(b) Her parents
(c) The British
(d) The communists
14. Who tells Ruth's mother about her own mother's death?
(a) Aunt Mary
(c) Ruth's father
15. What draws Ruth to Harlem?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ruth's father spend his weekends?
2. What kind of weather is it on the day on the wedding?
3. What is the name of the man whose father took over the Shilski's store?
4. What kind of church is the Suffolk High School graduation ceremony held in?
5. What does James force his mother to do in this chapter?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)