|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the the name of the song Ruth's mother sang to the birds?
(a) Free as a Bird
(b) Lovely, lovely come to mummy
(d) Birdie, birdie, fly away
2. What is the name of the reverend who marries Andrew and Ruth?
(a) Reverend Brown
(b) Reverend White
(c) Reverend Lucas
(d) Reverend Formby
3. What state is Andrew originally from?
(b) North Carolina
(c) New York
(d) South Carolina
4. What celebrates its 40th anniversary in 1994?
(a) Ruth's father's store
(b) Harlem Jazz Club
(c) The Jewish religion
(d) The New Brown Memorial Baptist Church
5. Who does James go out for a walk with at the end of the book?
(a) David's wife
6. What does Ruth remember her mother waving over her head?
(a) A chicken
(b) A flag
(c) A sheep
(d) A newspaper
7. What does Ruth decide she will never do again in this chapter?
(a) Play the piano
8. What is the name of Halina's son?
9. Where is Hunter buried?
10. What does Ruth receive a degree in?
(b) Mordern art
(d) Social work
11. What kind of career did Andrew want to pursue in New York?
12. Why does Ruth return to Virginia?
(a) To marry
(b) To go to University
(c) To find a job
(d) To graduate
13. What is the name of the theater where Rocky likes to take Ruth?
(a) The Lab
(b) The Archa
(c) The Apollo
(d) The Lucerna
14. Where does James stay the night in this chapter?
(a) At a bar
(b) Aubrey's house
(c) A motel
(d) In the park
15. What is the name of Ruth's manager?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks Ruth out of seeing Rocky again?
2. Whose records did James obtain form the U.S. army?
3. Who was Halina hiding from in 1942?
4. What does Ruth say about Suffolk?
5. What do people presume all white girls in Harlem are?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)