|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Ruth's younger sister in this chapter?
(a) Dee Dee
2. What draws Ruth to Harlem?
3. What university does Ruth attend?
(b) Chicago University
(c) Temple University
(d) New York University
4. What celebrates its 40th anniversary in 1994?
(a) The Jewish religion
(b) The New Brown Memorial Baptist Church
(c) Ruth's father's store
(d) Harlem Jazz Club
5. Who advises Ruth to marry Hunter Jordan?
(a) Andrew's parents
(d) Her father
6. Where does Ruth find a job in this chapter?
(a) A bank
(b) A restaurant
(c) A gym
(d) A diner
7. What is the name of the theater where Rocky likes to take Ruth?
(a) The Archa
(b) The Lucerna
(c) The Apollo
(d) The Lab
8. Why does Ruth not go to Irene's funeral?
(a) She is done with funerals
(b) She is banned from the service
(c) It is not in a Jewish church
(d) She does not like Irene's family
9. Where does Ruth travel to at the end of this chapter?
10. Who does James take his mother to see in this chapter?
(a) Her father
11. Who does James go out for a walk with at the end of the book?
(c) David's wife
12. Where does David work?
(a) The stock exchange
(b) Chase Bank
(c) The Wilmington News Journal
(d) The New York Post
13. What did Ruth's mother used to feed the birds?
(a) Bread crumbs
(b) Chicken meat
(d) Fish food
14. What kind of church is the Suffolk High School graduation ceremony held in?
(a) A Catholic church
(b) A Baptist church
(c) A Methodist church
(d) A Protestant church
15. Why does Ruth not want to be buried in New York?
(a) She was not born there
(b) It is polluted
(c) It is too crowded
(d) It is too noisy
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Ruth's friends dies in this chapter?
2. What do Ruth and Andrew call their first child?
3. What is James' role at David's wedding?
4. What building does James stand in front of in August 1992?
5. What does Ruth decide she will never do again in this chapter?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)