|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James force his mother to do in this chapter?
(a) Go for a run
(b) Buy a car
(c) Play the piano
(d) Write her will
2. What does Ruth's mother say when she waves the chicken over her head?
(a) You to death, me to life
(b) Freedom has to be cooked
(c) Life has one savior
3. What state does Ruth live in at the time of the church's 40th anniversary?
(b) New Jersey
(d) New York
4. Who does James go out for a walk with at the end of the book?
(a) David's wife
5. Whose educations and careers does James list in this chapter?
(a) James' school friends
(b) James' children
(c) Ruth's children
(d) Ruth's Polish famiily
6. What is James' girlfriend's job?
(b) Pool shark
7. Who does Ruth phone in this chapter?
(a) Her mother
(d) Aunt Mary
8. Who did David become friends with while working on the Wilmington News Journal?
(a) Andrew McBride
(b) James McBride
(c) Ruth McBride
(d) Dennis McBride
9. What is the name of the man whose father took over the Shilski's store?
(a) Jack Goldburg
(b) Alan Harper
(c) Simon Cornfield
(d) Aubrey Rubenstain
10. Who needs to dissolve Ruth's parent's marriage?
(a) A rabbi
(b) A priest
(c) A lawyer
(d) Their parents
11. What does James teach his mother in this chapter?
(a) How to sing
(b) How to play the piano
(c) How to roll a joint
(d) How to drive
12. Which of the following is Ruth's real name?
(a) Jordan Freda McBride
(b) Ruth Deborah Shilsky
(c) Ruth McBride Jordan
(d) Rachel Deborah Shilsky
13. Where does Ruth get a job when she returns to New York?
(a) A plastic factory
(b) A bank
(c) A glass factory
(d) A cafe
14. Why does Ruth not go to Irene's funeral?
(a) She does not like Irene's family
(b) It is not in a Jewish church
(c) She is done with funerals
(d) She is banned from the service
15. What do people presume all white girls in Harlem are?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of career did Andrew want to pursue in New York?
2. What was the the name of the song Ruth's mother sang to the birds?
3. Where does Ruth move to after Delaware?
4. Which of Ruth's friends dies in this chapter?
5. Why does Ruth not want to be buried in New York?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)