|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to the Cardinal, telling him excitedly that he had seen him on the evening news?
2. What kind of car is ready and waiting for the Cardinal when he is sent away from the Prime Minister's home?
3. ___________ have been handing out pamphlets about an announcement during the time of Rywald.
4. What began to be seen at those small roadside shrines to the Virgin, which had survived the Communist rule?
5. The Poniatov Bridge was the only bridge the ____________ had failed to destroy when they fled the ruined city.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cardinal Bem think of when he spends his time with the destitute under the bridge?
2. Who decides to pick up Cardinal Bem when he is on the run and in hiding from those who want to capture him?
3. What does Father Ley suggest that Cardinal Bem turn to in order to get help in staying hidden and stopping what is about to happen?
4. What is the part of Archbishop Krasnoy's speech that makes the Cardinal realize he was in on the plan?
5. What does Peter Jop reveal the Cardinal Bem about the strike they are supposed to have?
6. What does the Prime Minister tell Cardinal Bem when they are able to meet with each other?
7. Who is the Waldemar Keller person that Archbishop Krasnoy and Bishop John admit to working with?
8. How does Cardinal Bem get to see Peter Jop after talking with Father Ley?
9. What happens as Cardinal Bem begins to give communion to the masses of people?
10. What does Father Ley reveal to Cardinal Bem about his assassination attempt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faith is another concern that is brought up in several contexts throughout the book.
Part 1: Why does the Cardinal need to maintain his faith in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think faith is an important quality to have as a person in this book?
Part 3: How do you think the book might have changed had the power of faith not been as strong?
Essay Topic 2
The Cardinal decides that he wants to escape, so he does, going against the authorities who have him in the farm.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal decides he needs to escape?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal decides to just put his life into God's hands?
Part 3: Do you think the Cardinal should have tried to escape on his own? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Talk of the speech which is going to be given by Archbishop Krasnoy causes the Cardinal to take action, fearing for violence among followers.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal wants to stop the speech of the Archbishop?
Part 2: Do you think the Archbishop has to listen to the orders of the Cardinal? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a simple speech has the power to cause people to riot? Why or why not?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)