|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cardinal want Tomas to pack up now before and for the next day's ceremonies?
2. In his speech, the Cardinal tells the people: "I beg you to think of the __________ of others. Remember, the terrorist and the tyrant have that in common."
3. The Cardinal and Janik are left in a cell for the night as they can't call the _____________ until the morning.
4. The Cardinal realizes that from this point on he must draw the ____________ toward himself.
5. Where did Frederic Zaron and the Cardinal meet when they discussed the arrangements for the Father Ley visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Archbishop's speech say has sparked his call to the faithful?
2. What does the Cardinal learn that children have been doing along with a priest in the town?
3. What is the part of Archbishop Krasnoy's speech that makes the Cardinal realize he was in on the plan?
4. What does Father Ley suggest that Cardinal Bem turn to in order to get help in staying hidden and stopping what is about to happen?
5. What does the Cardinal see at the police station when he arrives with Janik?
6. What does Father Ley reveal to Cardinal Bem about his assassination attempt?
7. What does the Prime Minister think about the Cardinal's involvement in the terrorist attack?
8. Who decides to pick up Cardinal Bem when he is on the run and in hiding from those who want to capture him?
9. How does Cardinal Bem get to see Peter Jop after talking with Father Ley?
10. What are the bishops supposed to be doing at the residences of the archiepiscopal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While all of the bishops might be a part of the church, they are not loyal to the Cardinal and his ideas.
Part 1: Why do you think the bishops decide not to be loyal to the Cardinal?
Part 2: Do you think the Cardinal assumes everyone will be loyal? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is loyalty ever something which can just be assumed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Cardinal decides that he wants to escape, so he does, going against the authorities who have him in the farm.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal decides he needs to escape?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal decides to just put his life into God's hands?
Part 3: Do you think the Cardinal should have tried to escape on his own? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Cardinal is taken hostage under false pretenses in order to keep him from stopping the speech from the Archbishop.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal is not told of his captivity?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal doesn't try to escape when he sees the cars are not the same as the Security Police usually drive?
Part 3: Do you think you would realized something was not right with the situation the Cardinal was in? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)