|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Security Police surrounded the Cardinal's car as though they were an official ______________.
2. What sounds alarmed the Cardinal as he ran down the path after being told to do so?
3. The Cardinal noted a large number of people coming out of ________, which must have been the 7:30 mass.
4. The group decides to camp under the bridge by the _____________ for the night in order to stay safe.
5. What does the young man tell the Cardinal NOT to do when the man is getting ready to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the part of Archbishop Krasnoy's speech that makes the Cardinal realize he was in on the plan?
2. What does the Cardinal learn that children have been doing along with a priest in the town?
3. What does the Prime Minister think about the Cardinal's involvement in the terrorist attack?
4. What does the Archbishop's speech say has sparked his call to the faithful?
5. How does Cardinal Bem begin to experience his own personal version of hell?
6. What are the bishops supposed to be doing at the residences of the archiepiscopal?
7. What happens when Cardinal Bem and Janik, Peter Jop's brother-in-law, are driving to Gniesk?
8. What does Cardinal Bem insist on doing on the way to Gneisk, even though he has other options?
9. Who decides to pick up Cardinal Bem when he is on the run and in hiding from those who want to capture him?
10. What happens when Cardinal Bem is changing for the mass at the celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While all of the bishops might be a part of the church, they are not loyal to the Cardinal and his ideas.
Part 1: Why do you think the bishops decide not to be loyal to the Cardinal?
Part 2: Do you think the Cardinal assumes everyone will be loyal? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is loyalty ever something which can just be assumed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Cardinal is taken hostage under false pretenses in order to keep him from stopping the speech from the Archbishop.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal is not told of his captivity?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal doesn't try to escape when he sees the cars are not the same as the Security Police usually drive?
Part 3: Do you think you would realized something was not right with the situation the Cardinal was in? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of power is one which is explored in great detail in this novel. Power is what everyone wants, but it seems that no one can share it.
Part 1: Why is power something of importance to those in government?
Part 2: Why is power something of importance to those in the church?
Part 3: Can the church and the government share power? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)