|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the truck Janik and Cardinal Bem are traveling in, which is to help prevent them from being identified?
2. What did the SP man pull out before the Cardinal was led into the Prime Minister's garden?
3. How does the Cardinal promise to the General that he will tell the lie about what happened with the government?
4. How many men do the Security Police want to put on the altar in order to protect the Cardinal?
5. What does the Cardinal ask the General to do upon their introductions to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter Jop reveal the Cardinal Bem about the strike they are supposed to have?
2. Who decides to pick up Cardinal Bem when he is on the run and in hiding from those who want to capture him?
3. What does the Cardinal learn that children have been doing along with a priest in the town?
4. What does the Archbishop's speech say has sparked his call to the faithful?
5. What does the young man hand to Cardinal Bem when he is standing out in the square?
6. What makes Colonel Vrona agree to the new plan of the Cardinal's when the Cardinal insists?
7. What does the Cardinal see at the police station when he arrives with Janik?
8. What happens as Cardinal Bem begins to give communion to the masses of people?
9. How does Cardinal Bem get to see Peter Jop after talking with Father Ley?
10. What does the Prime Minister tell Cardinal Bem when they are able to meet with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Cardinal enters the church and sees the woman who tried to kill him, he realizes it truly is the Catholics who are trying to kill him.
Part 1: Why do you think one religious group would want to hurt another?
Part 2: Do you think the concept of religion should prohibit violence entirely?
Part 3: How would you feel if you found out someone wanted to kill you for something you believed in?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of power is one which is explored in great detail in this novel. Power is what everyone wants, but it seems that no one can share it.
Part 1: Why is power something of importance to those in government?
Part 2: Why is power something of importance to those in the church?
Part 3: Can the church and the government share power? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Cardinal decides that he wants to escape, so he does, going against the authorities who have him in the farm.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal decides he needs to escape?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal decides to just put his life into God's hands?
Part 3: Do you think the Cardinal should have tried to escape on his own? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)