|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who viists Ivanovich immediately after the court case?
2. What does the nose do in the Cathedral?
3. What kind of people did the old money lender used to lend money to?
4. What kind of mare does the general show the men?
5. Why have the general and his friends arrived at Phythagor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
2. Describe the narrator of the story.
3. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
6. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
7. How does Chartokov's life change when he becomes rich?
8. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
9. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
10. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the short story the Nose.
1) How does Gogol use satire in the story to create meaning?
2) How does the satire relate to 19th century Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from one of the stories and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)