|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nikiforovich build in this story?
2. Who does Prirogov dream the young could have been?
3. What do the peasants do to the paintings?
4. What does Kovalev use to hide the fact he has no nose?
5. What is the name of the young artist in this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
2. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
3. How is Pythagor embarrassed at the end of the story?
4. What is Pythagor's social standing?
5. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
6. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
7. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
8. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
9. Describe the narrator of the story.
10. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role religion plays in the stories.
1. What does Gogol express about religion in his stories?
2. What part has religion played in religion society and how is it different from religion in America?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)