|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nationality of the shop owner?
2. What is the name of the market where the art shop is located?
3. Why does Kovalev think Podtochina has cast a spell on him?
4. Why does Ivanoch think he has much to offer?
5. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
2. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
3. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
4. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
5. What is Pythagor's social standing?
6. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
7. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
8. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
9. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
10. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have the stories been arranged? What overall meaning does this give the story collection?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role religion plays in the stories.
1. What does Gogol express about religion in his stories?
2. What part has religion played in religion society and how is it different from religion in America?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)