|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
2. What is Ivan Yakovlevich's job?
3. What is Pirogov's rank?
4. Where do Nikiforovich and Ivanovich live?
5. What is Yakovlevish eating for breakfast at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
2. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
3. How does Ivan dispose of Kovalev's nose?
4. What is Pythagor's social standing?
5. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
6. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
7. How do the regiment change the town?
8. Describe the narrator of the story.
9. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
10. How is Pythagor embarrassed at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and write an essay comparing and contrasting them.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)