|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young artist who looks in the art shop?
2. What does Kovalev use to hide the fact he has no nose?
3. What does the nose do in the Cathedral?
4. How does Kovalev communicate with Podtochina?
5. What is the name of the king Ivanovich thinks he is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Gogol say about pride? How does he use story elements such as characterization to express his view?
Essay Topic 2
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 3
What does the short story collection express about Gogol's own opinions of life? How has the short stories been organized to communicate a consistent point of view? Are their any other short stories that contradict what Gogol expresses in this collection?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)