|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivanovich steal from the dog's bed?
2. Why does Kovalev think Podtochina has cast a spell on him?
3. What does Medgi think of the clerk that sharpens pens in the office?
4. What does Chartov try to paint after he sees the young artist's work?
5. What does the nose do in the Cathedral?
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
Compare one of the stories characters to the person he was at the beginning of the story to how he is at the end.
1. What did that character hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2. What events changes the characters ideas about life?
3. How has that character changed by the end of the story?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)