|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schiller say Hoffman takes too much of?
2. Who lights the lamps on Nevsky Prospect?
3. What is the name of the bridge from which Ivan drops the nose?
4. Who brings Nikiforovich to the party?
5. What event does the Police Chief arrange?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pythagor embarrassed at the end of the story?
2. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
3. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
4. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
5. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
6. Describe the narrator of the story.
7. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
8. What is Pythagor's social standing?
9. How does Ivanovich become King Ferdinand III?
10. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
How do the students think Ivan developed his social fear in Ivan Fyodorovich Shponka and his Aunt? How does Gogol use the other characters to accentuate Ivan's vulnerabilities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role religion plays in the stories.
1. What does Gogol express about religion in his stories?
2. What part has religion played in religion society and how is it different from religion in America?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)