|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schiller want Hoffman to cut off?
2. What kind carriage does Pythagor say is as light as a feather?
3. Why was the painter unable to complete the moneylender's portrait.
4. What does Ivanovich have to bring before the courts?
5. Where does Fidele bite Ivanovich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
2. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
3. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
6. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
7. How does Ivanovich become King Ferdinand III?
8. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
9. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
10. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 2
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
Essay Topic 3
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)