|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character arrives home at 4 a.m.?
2. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
3. Where does Fidele bite Ivanovich?
4. What is Ivan Yakovlevich's job?
5. What part of his body does Piskarev cut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nevsky Prospect?
2. How does Ivan dispose of Kovalev's nose?
3. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
4. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
5. What is Pythagor's social standing?
6. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
7. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
8. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
9. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
10. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare one of the stories characters to the person he was at the beginning of the story to how he is at the end.
1. What did that character hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2. What events changes the characters ideas about life?
3. How has that character changed by the end of the story?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)