|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of robes did the old money lender wear?
2. What did the artist become after painting the portrait of the moneylender?
3. What is the name of the girl Ivanovich is in love with?
4. What is Yakovlevish eating for breakfast at the beginning of the story?
5. What did Chartkov's professor warn not to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
2. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
3. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
4. How is Pythagor embarrassed at the end of the story?
5. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
6. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
7. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
8. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
9. What is Pythagor's social standing?
10. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have the stories been arranged? What overall meaning does this give the story collection?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)