|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the striking thing about the portrait Chartkov buys?
2. What does Kovalev see emerge from the carriage outside the pastry shop?
3. What is the name of the young artist in this story?
4. What kind of mare does the general show the men?
5. Why does Ivanoch think he has much to offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nevsky Prospect?
2. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
3. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
4. What is Pythagor's social standing?
5. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
6. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
7. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
8. How do the regiment change the town?
9. How does Ivan dispose of Kovalev's nose?
10. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Gogol's previous works and contrast it with the The Collected Tales in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)