|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of drug does the shop owner sell?
2. Who asks Chartov to view the work of a young artist?
3. What does Ivan want to give his neighbor in exchange for the neighbor's gun?
4. What kind carriage does Pythagor say is as light as a feather?
5. What does Schiller say Hoffman takes too much of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan dispose of Kovalev's nose?
2. How does Chartokov's life change when he becomes rich?
3. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
4. Describe the narrator of the story.
5. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
6. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
7. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
8. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
9. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
10. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
How have the stories been arranged? What overall meaning does this give the story collection?
Essay Topic 3
What does Gogol say about faith? How does he use story elements such as characterization and setting to express his view? Is the theme is still relevant today?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)