|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind carriage does Pythagor say is as light as a feather?
2. What is the striking thing about the portrait Chartkov buys?
3. What do the men say will happen to Ivanovich if he refers to himself as the King of Spain?
4. Why does Kovalev think Podtochina has cast a spell on him?
5. What is the name of the market where the art shop is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
3. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
4. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
5. How does Chartokov's life change when he becomes rich?
6. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
7. What is Pythagor's social standing?
8. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
9. How do the regiment change the town?
10. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)