|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schiller want Hoffman to cut off?
2. What does Ivan tell the courts that Nikiforovich intends to do to his property?
3. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
4. Who brings Nikiforovich to the party?
5. Where do Nikiforovich and Ivanovich live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
2. How do the regiment change the town?
3. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
4. How does Ivanovich become King Ferdinand III?
5. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
6. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
7. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
8. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
9. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
10. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Gogol say about pride? How does he use story elements such as characterization to express his view?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 3
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)