|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chartov try to paint after he sees the young artist's work?
2. Who does the blond girl marry in this story?
3. Who brings Nikiforovich to the party?
4. What is Ivan Yakovlevich's job?
5. Where do Nikiforovich and Ivanovich live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
2. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
3. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
4. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
5. Describe the narrator of the story.
6. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
7. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
8. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
9. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
10. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have the stories been arranged? What overall meaning does this give the story collection?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)