|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the painter unable to complete the moneylender's portrait.
2. What does the nose do in the Cathedral?
3. What is Pirogov's rank?
4. What does Ivanovich have to bring before the courts?
5. What is the name of the area in St. Petersburg where many poor and retired people live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the regiment change the town?
2. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
3. Describe Nevsky Prospect?
4. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
5. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
6. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
7. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
8. What is Pythagor's social standing?
9. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
10. How is Pythagor embarrassed at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What does Gogol say about faith? How does he use story elements such as characterization and setting to express his view? Is the theme is still relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
How do the students think Ivan developed his social fear in Ivan Fyodorovich Shponka and his Aunt? How does Gogol use the other characters to accentuate Ivan's vulnerabilities?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)