|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men step outside to do?
2. Why was the painter unable to complete the moneylender's portrait.
3. What is the name of the area in St. Petersburg where many poor and retired people live?
4. What did the artist become after painting the portrait of the moneylender?
5. How does Ivan destroy Nikiforovich's goose pen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
2. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
3. How do the regiment change the town?
4. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
5. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
6. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
7. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
8. Describe the narrator of the story.
9. How does Ivan dispose of Kovalev's nose?
10. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the short story the Nose.
1) How does Gogol use satire in the story to create meaning?
2) How does the satire relate to 19th century Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)