|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chartkov's professor warn not to become?
2. What is the name of the young artist who looks in the art shop?
3. Who brings Nikiforovich to the party?
4. How does Ivan destroy Nikiforovich's goose pen?
5. Who asks Chartov to view the work of a young artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
3. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
4. Describe Nevsky Prospect?
5. How does Chartokov's life change when he becomes rich?
6. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
7. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
8. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
9. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
10. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and write an essay comparing and contrasting them.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)