|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan destroy Nikiforovich's goose pen?
2. What food are the judge and mayor reduced to eating?
3. Why have the general and his friends arrived at Phythagor's house?
4. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
5. What kind carriage does Pythagor say is as light as a feather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
2. How does Ivanovich become King Ferdinand III?
3. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
4. How do the regiment change the town?
5. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
6. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
7. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
8. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
9. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
10. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the students think Ivan developed his social fear in Ivan Fyodorovich Shponka and his Aunt? How does Gogol use the other characters to accentuate Ivan's vulnerabilities?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)