|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
2. What is the name of the area in St. Petersburg where many poor and retired people live?
3. What event does the Police Chief arrange?
4. What is the name of the bridge from which Ivan drops the nose?
5. What does Kovalev use to hide the fact he has no nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nevsky Prospect?
2. How do the regiment change the town?
3. How does Kovalev think Podtochina is involved in the disappearance of his nose?
4. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
5. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
6. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
7. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
8. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
9. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
10. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Gogol say about pride? How does he use story elements such as characterization to express his view?
Essay Topic 2
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)