|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ivan Yakovlevich's job?
2. What is Pirogov's rank?
3. What do the men say will happen to Ivanovich if he refers to himself as the King of Spain?
4. Who asks Chartov to view the work of a young artist?
5. What do the peasants do to the paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people react to the paintings in the art shop in Shchukin market?
2. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
3. Describe Nevsky Prospect?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Ivanovich become King Ferdinand III?
6. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
7. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
8. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
9. Why does Ivanovich have to bring his sow before the court?
10. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the short story collection express about Gogol's own opinions of life? How has the short stories been organized to communicate a consistent point of view? Are their any other short stories that contradict what Gogol expresses in this collection?
Essay Topic 2
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 3
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)