|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
2. What did God allow Ivan to decide?
3. Where does Danilo imprison Katerina's father?
4. What is the name of the husband in this story?
5. What rank is Ivan promoted to after eleven years?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
2. How does this story end?
3. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
4. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
5. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
6. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
7. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
8. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
9. How does Katerina die in this story?
10. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
How have the stories been arranged? What overall meaning does this give the story collection?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)