|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valuka portray the devil in his painting?
2. What is the name of the husband in this story?
3. What does Khoma have to do for a Cossack chief?
4. Which word best describes Ivan's aunt's personality?
5. What does Afansay like to do to his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
2. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
3. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
4. What bad things do the villagers say the witch did when she was alive?
5. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
6. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
7. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
8. How does Katerina die in this story?
9. Describe Ivan's time in the regiment?
10. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Gogol say about faith? How does he use story elements such as characterization and setting to express his view? Is the theme is still relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and write an essay comparing and contrasting them.
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)