|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ivan's aunt suggest he should marry?
2. Why does the devil want to cause hate between Valuka and Choub?
3. What is Ivan's aunt's name?
4. Why does Ivan's aunt say she can longer take care of the family estate?
5. Who owns the property next to Ivan's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
2. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
3. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
4. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
5. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
6. How does Katerina die in this story?
7. What is remarkable about Afanasy's house?
8. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
9. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
10. What is the moral of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from one of the stories and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What does Gogol say about faith? How does he use story elements such as characterization and setting to express his view? Is the theme is still relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
How do the students think Ivan developed his social fear in Ivan Fyodorovich Shponka and his Aunt? How does Gogol use the other characters to accentuate Ivan's vulnerabilities?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)