|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pulkeria think she will die?
2. What nationality is the man that Pidorka is being forced to marry?
3. What is the name of the main character in this story?
4. Who does most of the old couple's work on the farm?
5. Where does the devil keep the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
2. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
3. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
4. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
5. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
6. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
7. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
8. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
9. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
10. Why does Khoma have to say an eulogy for the cossack's daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
How have the stories been arranged? What overall meaning does this give the story collection?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role religion plays in the stories.
1. What does Gogol express about religion in his stories?
2. What part has religion played in religion society and how is it different from religion in America?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)