|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katerina fear the sorcerers?
2. What does Valuka say Oksana has to bring her before she marries him?
3. Which member of Ivan's family dies?
4. Why does Ivan not want to marry Grigor's sister?
5. What is the witch's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
2. Why does Khoma have to say an eulogy for the cossack's daughter?
3. How does Katerina die in this story?
4. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
5. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
6. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
7. How does this story end?
8. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
9. What bad things do the villagers say the witch did when she was alive?
10. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 2
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)