|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
2. How does Ivan travel home?
3. What is the most remarkable thing about the couple's house?
4. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
5. What is the name of the village church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. Describe Akaky's appearance.
3. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
6. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
7. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
8. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
9. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
10. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and write an essay comparing and contrasting them.
Essay Topic 3
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)