Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
2. How does Ivan travel home?
3. What is the most remarkable thing about the couple's house?
4. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
5. What is the name of the village church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. Describe Akaky's appearance.
3. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
6. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
7. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
8. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
9. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
10. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
Essay Topic 1
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 2
What does Gogol say about faith? How does he use story elements such as characterization and setting to express his view? Is the theme is still relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the short story the Nose.
1) How does Gogol use satire in the story to create meaning?
2) How does the satire relate to 19th century Russian society?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)