|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoma say his grandfather never told in all his days?
2. What does Solokha steal?
3. Who does Ivan's aunt suggest he should marry?
4. What does the devil want Valuka to teach him?
5. What kind of pictures does Valuka paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
2. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
3. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
4. What is Ivan Fyodorovich like as a student?
5. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
6. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
7. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
8. How does this story end?
9. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
10. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 2
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
Essay Topic 3
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)