Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
2. How does Ivan travel home?
3. What is the most remarkable thing about the couple's house?
4. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
5. What is the name of the village church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. Describe Akaky's appearance.
3. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
6. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
7. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
8. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
9. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
10. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from one of the stories and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the short story the Nose.
1) How does Gogol use satire in the story to create meaning?
2) How does the satire relate to 19th century Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
What does the short story collection express about Gogol's own opinions of life? How has the short stories been organized to communicate a consistent point of view? Are their any other short stories that contradict what Gogol expresses in this collection?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)