|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoma say his grandfather never told in all his days?
2. What does Valuka say Oksana has to bring her before she marries him?
3. Who does Pulheria arrange to take care of her husband?
4. What does Katerina dream that her father is?
5. What is said that Peter's parents died from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
2. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
3. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
4. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
5. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
6. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
7. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
8. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
9. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
10. What is remarkable about Afanasy's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the short story the Nose.
1) How does Gogol use satire in the story to create meaning?
2) How does the satire relate to 19th century Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and write an essay comparing and contrasting them.
Essay Topic 3
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)