|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Ivan's family dies?
2. What is the main thing the old couple grow on the farm?
3. What is the name of the main character in this story?
4. What does Thoma say his grandfather never told in all his days?
5. What does Valuka say Oksana has to bring her before she marries him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
2. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
3. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
4. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
5. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
6. What happens to the characters at the end of the story?
7. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
8. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
9. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
10. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the short story collection express about Gogol's own opinions of life? How has the short stories been organized to communicate a consistent point of view? Are their any other short stories that contradict what Gogol expresses in this collection?
Essay Topic 2
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Gogol's previous works and contrast it with the The Collected Tales in terms of the following:
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)