|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the devil hide when men come to visit Solokha?
2. How did the Cossack's daughter die?
3. What is Valuka's job in town?
4. What plagues Katerina's father after he kills his daughter?
5. What is the name of Gorobets' brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katerina die in this story?
2. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
3. Why does Ivan have to retire from the regiment?
4. What is the moral of the story?
5. Describe Ivan's time in the regiment?
6. Why does Khoma have to say an eulogy for the cossack's daughter?
7. How does this story end?
8. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
9. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
10. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)