|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a cossack?
2. Where does Basavruik say he will meet Peter at midnight?
3. How does Ivan describe his aunt's appearance?
4. Who does Pidorka call Child of Gold?
5. What is the name of Katerina's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
2. What is remarkable about Afanasy's house?
3. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
4. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
5. What bad things do the villagers say the witch did when she was alive?
6. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
7. What is Ivan Fyodorovich like as a student?
8. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
9. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
10. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from one of the stories and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)