|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Khoma prays at the witch's coffin?
2. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
3. What does Peter have do to obtain the gold?
4. What is the name of the main character in this story?
5. What does Tomar should not be mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chartokov's life change when he becomes rich?
2. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
3. Describe the painting Chartkov buys from the art shop.
4. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
5. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
6. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
7. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
8. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
9. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
10. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the mid 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from one of the stories and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)