|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
2. How does Ivan travel home?
3. What is the most remarkable thing about the couple's house?
4. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
5. What is the name of the village church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. Describe Akaky's appearance.
3. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
6. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
7. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
8. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
9. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
10. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
Essay Topic 1
How do the students think Ivan developed his social fear in Ivan Fyodorovich Shponka and his Aunt? How does Gogol use the other characters to accentuate Ivan's vulnerabilities?
Essay Topic 2
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 3
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)