|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pictures does Valuka paint?
2. What is the witch's name?
3. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
4. What does Ivan join at the age of 17?
5. What does the old hag turn into after Khoma kills her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
2. How does Katerina die in this story?
3. What is remarkable about Afanasy's house?
4. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
5. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
6. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
7. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
8. How does this story end?
9. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
10. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)