|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan join at the age of 17?
2. What is a cossack?
3. What is said that Peter's parents died from?
4. What color is Basavriuk as he sits on the stump?
5. What is Valuka's job in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
2. What is Ivan Fyodorovich like as a student?
3. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
4. Describe Ivan's time in the regiment?
5. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
6. How does Ivanovich become King Ferdinand III?
7. What does Ivanovich find out about in the letters?
8. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
9. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
10. How does this story end?
Essay Topic 1
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
What does Gogol say about faith? How does he use story elements such as characterization and setting to express his view? Is the theme is still relevant today?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)