|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thoma's one strange eccentricity?
2. Who appears at the wedding but quickly disappears?
3. What does Khoma have to do for a Cossack chief?
4. What is the main thing the old couple grow on the farm?
5. Who does Pidorka call Child of Gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad things do the villagers say the witch did when she was alive?
2. Describe the old couple's life on the farm?
3. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
4. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
5. What is Ivan Fyodorovich like as a student?
6. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
7. Describe Ivan's time in the regiment?
8. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
9. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
10. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 3
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)