|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Cossack's daughter die?
2. What does Korzh take off the wall to punish Peter?
3. What is the name of Oksana's father?
4. What color are the shoes Valuka gets for Oksana?
5. What animal does Thoma compare to Basavruik's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
2. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
3. Describe Ivan's time in the regiment?
4. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
5. How does this story end?
6. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
7. How does Katerina die in this story?
8. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
9. Why does Ivan have to retire from the regiment?
10. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
Essay Topic 3
What does the short story collection express about Gogol's own opinions of life? How has the short stories been organized to communicate a consistent point of view? Are their any other short stories that contradict what Gogol expresses in this collection?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)