|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan describe his aunt's appearance?
2. What does Ivan's aunt want him to do?
3. Where does the devil hide when men come to visit Solokha?
4. What does Ivan have nightmares about at the end of the story?
5. What does Korzh take off the wall to punish Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
2. How does this story end?
3. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
4. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
5. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
6. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
7. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
8. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
9. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
10. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gogol's short stories were hugely influential.
How did Gogol help change short story writing? In what way is his influence still felt today?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and write an essay comparing and contrasting them.
Essay Topic 3
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)