|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the property next to Ivan's farm?
2. What does Father Atahnasii use to chase away the devil?
3. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
4. What protects Khoma from the witch?
5. What did the witch do when she turned into a dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
2. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
3. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
4. How does this story end?
5. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
6. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
7. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
8. Why does Khoma have to say an eulogy for the cossack's daughter?
9. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
10. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss how one of the stories have influenced popular culture. Has the short story been adapted into any modern forms such as film? Has the story ever been referenced in popular culture? How has that medium adapted the story to contemporary society? Following the discussion, have the students write an essay on the subject of popular culture.
Essay Topic 2
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)