Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
2. How does Ivan travel home?
3. What is the most remarkable thing about the couple's house?
4. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
5. What is the name of the village church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of the story.
2. Describe Akaky's appearance.
3. How does Ivanovich obtain the stack of letters?
4. How does Ivanonich insult Nikiforovich at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
6. Describe Piskarev's dream about the girl?
7. How does Kovalev react when his nose returns?
8. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
9. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
10. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from one of the stories and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role religion plays in the stories.
1. What does Gogol express about religion in his stories?
2. What part has religion played in religion society and how is it different from religion in America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)