|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the church elder like to drink?
2. Who does Pidorka call Child of Gold?
3. What is the name of Katerina's father?
4. What is the name of the main character in this story?
5. What does Pulheria think the change in her cat's behavior means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Khoma have to say an eulogy for the cossack's daughter?
2. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
3. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
4. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
5. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
6. Why does Ivan have to retire from the regiment?
7. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
8. How does Katerina die in this story?
9. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
10. What happens to the characters at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Gogol's previous works and contrast it with the The Collected Tales in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
How do the students think Ivan developed his social fear in Ivan Fyodorovich Shponka and his Aunt? How does Gogol use the other characters to accentuate Ivan's vulnerabilities?
Essay Topic 3
Examine point of view in one of the following stories.
1) The Diary of a Madman.
2) The Nose.
3) St. John's Eve.
What meaning does the point of view the author use give the story? What meaning would a different point of view communicate?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)