|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Basavruik say he will meet Peter at midnight?
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the story?
3. What is Thoma's one strange eccentricity?
4. What kind of student is Ivan?
5. Who does most of the old couple's work on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
2. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
3. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
4. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
5. How does Katerina die in this story?
6. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
7. Describe the old couple's life on the farm?
8. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
9. Why does Aunt Vasilisa want Ivan to marry Grigory's younger sister?
10. What is the moral of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has society's view of opinions on madness changed since the mid 19th century? How would one have to adapt Diary of a Madman to be relevant today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society Russia.
1. The use of the devil as a character.
2. The representation of normal people and life
Essay Topic 3
The Collected Tales are translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)