|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chartkov's professor warn not to become?
(a) A serious painter.
(b) A pretentious painter.
(c) A commercial painter.
(d) A genius painter.
2. What does Nikiforovich call Ivan when he asks for his gun?
(a) A fang.
(b) A goose.
(c) A turkey.
(d) A pig.
3. What is the name of the girl Ivanovich is in love with?
4. What does Nikiforovich build in this story?
(a) A goose pen.
(b) A cow shed.
(c) A pig sty.
(d) A chicken run.
5. What does Ivan want to give his neighbor in exchange for the neighbor's gun?
(a) A brown sow.
(b) A pot of coffee.
(c) A goat.
(d) A bottle of vinegar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kovalev think Podtochina has cast a spell on him?
2. What is the name of the market where the art shop is located?
3. Where does Priogv dream he goes to in the carriage the girl sends?
4. What is the name of the bridge from which Ivan drops the nose?
5. What food are the judge and mayor reduced to eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pirogov get beaten up in this story?
2. What does Nikiforovich say to Ivanovich in court?
3. What advice did Chartov's professor give him?
4. What is Pythagor's social standing?
5. Describe the narrator of the story.
6. What does Piskarev visualize when he takes the opium?
7. What was the town of B like before the regiment arrived?
8. How does Chartokov's life change when he becomes rich?
9. How does Fedoseevna interfere with the argument between the two men?
10. How does Ivan Yakovlevich find Kovalev's nose?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)