|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the village church?
(a) St. Troon.
(b) St. Nickilas.
(c) St. Wren.
(d) St. Pantelei.
2. What does Pulheria think the change in her cat's behavior means?
(a) It is unhappy.
(b) She hasn't looked after it.
(c) It is dying.
(d) A bad omen.
3. Why does Ivan's aunt say she can longer take care of the family estate?
(a) She wants to travel.
(b) She is getting married.
(c) She is bored.
(d) She is too ill.
4. What color is Basavriuk as he sits on the stump?
5. What does Father Atahnasii use to chase away the devil?
(a) A brush.
(b) A screwdiver.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A whip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter need as much as he needs last year's snow?
2. Why does the witch want to cause mischief between Valuka and Choub?
3. Where does the story of the Chief of the Gnomes begin?
4. What does Peter have do to obtain the gold?
5. How do Valuka and the devil travel to the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
2. What is remarkable about Afanasy's house?
3. How does this story end?
4. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
5. Why does Ivan have to retire from the regiment?
6. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
7. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
8. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
9. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
10. What happens to the characters at the end of the story?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)