|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Valuka and the devil travel to the palace?
(a) They fly.
(b) They transport themselves.
(c) They take a train.
(d) They sail.
2. What does Pulheria think the change in her cat's behavior means?
(a) A bad omen.
(b) It is dying.
(c) She hasn't looked after it.
(d) It is unhappy.
3. What animal does Thoma compare to Basavruik's eyes?
(a) A crow.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A bear.
(d) A bull.
4. What is Ivan Ivanovich's job?
5. What is the name of the wife in this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the devil do to the town?
2. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
3. What nationality is the man that Pidorka is being forced to marry?
4. What is the name of the town in this story?
5. What does the devil steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
2. What is the moral of the story?
3. Describe the old couple's life on the farm?
4. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
5. What is remarkable about Afanasy's house?
6. Describe Ivan's time in the regiment?
7. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
8. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
9. Why does Khoma have to say an eulogy for the cossack's daughter?
10. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)