|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
2. What does Afansay like to do to his wife?
(a) Poke fun at her.
(b) Tickle her.
(c) Hit her.
(d) Play tricks on her.
3. What is the name of Katerina's father?
4. Why does the witch want to cause mischief between Valuka and Choub?
(a) She wants to marry Choub.
(b) She wants to steal Choub's money.
(c) She wants them to murder each other.
(d) She wants to gain more power in the town.
5. What plagues Katerina's father after he kills his daughter?
(b) A watchman.
(c) A horseman.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pulheria arrange to take care of her husband?
2. Why does Ivan not want to marry Grigor's sister?
3. What is the most remarkable thing about the couple's house?
4. What does the author say a father's heart is not made from?
5. What protects Khoma from the witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan appear to Petro at the end of the story?
2. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
3. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
4. What happens to the characters at the end of the story?
5. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
6. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
7. How does Pytor cope with his role in the murder of Ivas?
8. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
9. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
10. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)