|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Ivan's aunt's personality?
(a) Good humored.
2. Why does the devil want to cause hate between Valuka and Choub?
(a) So he can steal their souls.
(b) So he take over their homes.
(c) So Choub will beat Valuka.
(d) So he dance on their graves.
3. How does the cat change when it returns home?
(a) It is pregnant.
(b) It is never hungry.
(c) It is wild.
(d) It is rabid.
4. What does Thoma say his grandfather never told in all his days?
(a) A joke.
(b) A truth.
(c) A bad story.
5. Where does Gorobets bring Katerina and her baby for protection?
(c) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is known as little Russia?
2. What runs out of the farmhouse to meet Peter and Basavriuk?
3. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
4. Why does Ivan's aunt say she can longer take care of the family estate?
5. What does the author say a father's heart is not made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad things do the villagers say the witch did when she was alive?
2. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
3. Describe the old couple's life on the farm?
4. How does Ivan's aunt surprise when he visits her at the farm?
5. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
6. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
7. How does Grigory react when Ivan asks him about signing over the deed?
8. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
9. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
10. What does Pytor have to do before he marries Pidorka?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)