|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the church elder like to drink?
2. What did the witch do when she turned into a dog?
(a) Killed other dogs.
(b) Contaminated the town's water.
(c) Ate the town's food supplies.
(d) Drank a baby's blood.
3. What is said that Peter's parents died from?
(a) The measles.
(c) Godless souls.
(d) The pest.
4. What does Peter have do to obtain the gold?
(a) Kill the black dog.
(b) Sign a contract.
(c) Cut off a child's head.
(d) Cut off his own thumbs.
5. What kind of animal does the old woman turn Kouma into?
(a) A bull.
(b) A frog.
(c) A pig.
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wife in this story?
2. Why does Ivan's aunt say she can longer take care of the family estate?
3. What country is known as little Russia?
4. What is the witch's name?
5. What does the devil steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does the devil make with Valuka?
2. Describe the narrator of the story.
3. How is Pythagor embarrassed at the end of the story?
4. How do the regiment change the town?
5. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
6. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
7. What is the curse that Petro had put upon him?
8. Why do the devil and the witch want to cause problems between Valuka and Choub?
9. What happens to the characters at the end of the story?
10. How does Katerina's father injure Danilo in this story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)