|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the doors sing?
(a) When the sun comes up.
(b) When the sun goes down.
(c) When the moon is full.
(d) When the stars are out.
2. What does Ivan join at the age of 17?
(a) The Eagles.
(b) The infantry.
(c) The navy.
(d) The Hari Krishnas.
3. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Force him to eat pig's swill.
(c) Put a curse on him.
(d) Throw him out of town.
4. What does Tomar should not be mentioned?
(a) Peter's death.
(b) The church.
(c) The son of a dog.
(d) The devil.
5. How do Danilo and Katerina travel to Dnieper?
(a) By boat.
(b) By horseback.
(c) By plane.
(d) By train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ivan's aunt suggest he should marry?
2. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
3. Where does Katerina's father shoot Danilo?
4. Which member of Ivan's family dies?
5. Where does the story of the Chief of the Gnomes begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
2. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
3. Why has the devil cast darkness over Dikanka?
4. How does Katerina die in this story?
5. How do the devil and the witch leave Dikanta in pitch darkness?
6. Why does Ivan have to retire from the regiment?
7. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
8. Why is Katerina so frightened as she travels home with her husband?
9. How does Valuka gain back his self respect?
10. How do the three students come upon the farmstead?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)