|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the devil hide when men come to visit Solokha?
(a) In a sack.
(b) Under a bed.
(c) Behind the curtain.
(d) In the basement.
2. What country is known as little Russia?
(c) The Ukraine.
3. Where is Khoma from?
(b) St. Petersburg.
4. What is Gorobets and his family celebrating in this story?
(a) His son's christening.
(b) His wedding anniversary.
(c) His son's wedding.
(d) His wife's birthday.
5. What does the devil steal?
(a) The sun.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The moon.
(d) The star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ivan's aunt's name?
2. Why does Katerina fear the sorcerers?
3. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
4. What kind of pictures does Valuka paint?
5. What did God allow Ivan to decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivas save Pyotr from a beating?
2. How does Valuka gain possession of the devil's shoes?
3. How does Katerina die in this story?
4. Why does Ivan have to retire from the regiment?
5. How does Afansay react to Pulkheria's death?
6. What is Ivan Fyodorovich like as a student?
7. How does Khoma realize the old lady is a witch?
8. What bad things do the villagers say the witch did when she was alive?
9. How does Pulkeria's life change when her cat disappears?
10. Summarize the Night Before Christmas story.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)