|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivanoch think he has much to offer?
(a) He works hard.
(b) He is intelligent.
(c) He has saved money.
(d) He is noble.
2. Who brings Kovalev his nose?
(b) A soldier.
(c) A policeman.
3. What city in Spain does Ivanovich think he is living in?
4. What kind of carriage does Pythagor arrive in?
(a) A sporty carriage.
(b) A love carriage.
(c) A school carriage.
(d) An army carriage.
5. What does Nikiforovich call Ivan when he asks for his gun?
(a) A goose.
(b) A turkey.
(c) A fang.
(d) A pig.
6. What is Yakovlevish eating for breakfast at the beginning of the story?
7. What is the name of the town the regiment have been stationed at?
8. Who does the blond girl marry in this story?
9. Who does Ivanovich hear has died in this story?
(a) The Duke of York.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The King of Spain.
(d) The King of Sweden.
10. Why is Kovalev angry when the clerk offers him snuff?
(a) He is a better class of man.
(b) He has no money.
(c) He is not a drug addict.
(d) He has no nose.
11. What is Pirogov's rank?
12. What is the name of the market where the art shop is located?
13. Where does Priogv dream he goes to in the carriage the girl sends?
(a) A throne room.
(b) A grand ball.
(c) A grand parlor.
(d) A treasure room.
14. Why was the painter unable to complete the moneylender's portrait.
(a) He stole money from the moneylender.
(b) He died before he could.
(c) He lost the use of his hands.
(d) He felt evilness.
15. Which character arrives home at 4 a.m.?
(c) Phythagor's wife.
(d) The General.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the artist become after painting the portrait of the moneylender?
2. What does Schiller say Hoffman takes too much of?
3. What kind of people did the old money lender used to lend money to?
4. What does Schiller want Hoffman to cut off?
5. Why have the general and his friends arrived at Phythagor's house?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)