|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schiller want Hoffman to cut off?
(a) His ear.
(b) His nose.
(c) His pinky.
(d) His thumb.
2. What do the men say will happen to Ivanovich if he refers to himself as the King of Spain?
(a) They will kill him.
(b) They will throw a party for him.
(c) They will crown him.
(d) They will beat him.
3. What do the peasants do to the paintings?
(a) Kick them.
(b) Poke at them.
(c) Scribble on them.
(d) Spit at them.
4. Who does Ivanovich hear has died in this story?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The Duke of York.
(c) The King of Spain.
(d) The King of Sweden.
5. What does Medgi think of the clerk that sharpens pens in the office?
(a) He is ugly.
(b) He is shy.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) He is fun.
6. What is Yakovlevish eating for breakfast at the beginning of the story?
7. What is the name of the young artist in this story?
8. What does Ivan want to give his neighbor in exchange for the neighbor's gun?
(a) A pot of coffee.
(b) A brown sow.
(c) A bottle of vinegar.
(d) A goat.
9. Why was the painter unable to complete the moneylender's portrait.
(a) He died before he could.
(b) He stole money from the moneylender.
(c) He felt evilness.
(d) He lost the use of his hands.
10. What does the brown sow run off with?
(a) Nikiforovich's complaint document.
(b) Ivan's newspaper.
(c) Nikiforovich's geese.
(d) Ivan's gun.
11. What does Ivan tell the courts that Nikiforovich intends to do to his property?
(a) Break his windows.
(b) Steal his carpets.
(c) Set it alight.
(d) Con him out of it.
12. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
(a) A restaurant.
(c) The post office.
13. What kind of people did the old money lender used to lend money to?
(a) Rich people.
(c) Old people.
14. Who does the blond girl marry in this story?
15. How does Ivan destroy Nikiforovich's goose pen?
(a) He sets it alight.
(b) He pushes into the river.
(c) He drops a boulder on top of it.
(d) He saws off its legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is Medgi?
2. What city in Spain does Ivanovich think he is living in?
3. Where does Ivan Ivanovich live?
4. What is Pirogov's rank?
5. What does Yakovlevich find in the middle of his bread?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)