|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yakovlevich find in the middle of his bread?
(a) A nose.
(b) A finger.
(c) A map.
(d) A coin.
2. Why does Kovalev think Podtochina has cast a spell on him?
(a) He once ran over her dog.
(b) He has not repaid her loan to him.
(c) He refused to marry her daughter.
(d) He killed her husband.
3. What do the peasants do to the paintings?
(a) Scribble on them.
(b) Kick them.
(c) Poke at them.
(d) Spit at them.
4. Who does Prirogov dream the young could have been?
(a) A foxy lady.
(b) A match girl.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A grand lady.
5. What is Pirogov's rank?
6. What does the brown sow run off with?
(a) Nikiforovich's complaint document.
(b) Ivan's newspaper.
(c) Nikiforovich's geese.
(d) Ivan's gun.
7. What do the men say will happen to Ivanovich if he refers to himself as the King of Spain?
(a) They will kill him.
(b) They will beat him.
(c) They will crown him.
(d) They will throw a party for him.
8. What event does the Police Chief arrange?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A fair.
(c) A dinner party.
(d) A funeral.
9. How does Ivan destroy Nikiforovich's goose pen?
(a) He drops a boulder on top of it.
(b) He sets it alight.
(c) He pushes into the river.
(d) He saws off its legs.
10. What does Kovalev see emerge from the carriage outside the pastry shop?
(a) His nose.
(b) His hand.
(c) His wife.
(d) His dog.
11. What does Ivan want to give his neighbor in exchange for the neighbor's gun?
(a) A goat.
(b) A bottle of vinegar.
(c) A pot of coffee.
(d) A brown sow.
12. What did Chartkov's professor warn not to become?
(a) A pretentious painter.
(b) A serious painter.
(c) A commercial painter.
(d) A genius painter.
13. What is Ivan Yakovlevich's job?
14. Who were the only town officials prior to the arrival of the soldiers?
(a) A sheriff and a general.
(b) A lawyer and a doctor.
(c) A judge and mayor.
(d) A sea captain and a dentist.
15. Where does Ivan say he is going when the policeman stops him?
(a) A restaurant.
(c) The post office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pythagor hide?
2. What does Pythagor tell his wife to tell the general?
3. Who viists Ivanovich immediately after the court case?
4. Where do Nikiforovich and Ivanovich live?
5. What kind of robes did the old money lender wear?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)