|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoma say his grandfather never told in all his days?
(a) A bad story.
(b) A joke.
(c) A truth.
2. What does Peter need as much as he needs last year's snow?
(a) A job.
3. Which member of Ivan's family dies?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
4. What country is known as little Russia?
(d) The Ukraine.
5. What does the Cossack say he will do if Khoma does not return to his daughter's coffin?
(a) Throw him out of town.
(b) Force him to eat pig's swill.
(c) Beat him.
(d) Put a curse on him.
6. Where does Basavruik say he will meet Peter at midnight?
(a) The Beer garden.
(b) The Vodka den.
(c) The Rook's nest.
(d) The Bear's ravine.
7. What kind of student is Ivan?
(a) A disruptive student.
(b) A fun-loving student.
(c) A bored student.
(d) The perfect student.
8. Where does Danilo imprison Katerina's father?
(a) The attic.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The library.
(d) The parlor.
9. What protects Khoma from the witch?
(a) A bible.
(b) A circle.
(c) A square.
(d) A crucifix.
10. What is Gorobets' rank in the army?
11. Why does Katerina fear the sorcerers?
(a) She is afraid they will turn her into a cloud.
(b) She is afraid they will take away her child.
(c) She is afraid they will kill her.
(d) She is afraid they want to impregnate her.
12. What does Ivan's aunt want him to do?
(a) Marry a rich women.
(b) Pay for a doctor.
(c) Resign from the army.
(d) Organize his mother's funeral.
13. What was the name of Petro's brother?
14. What does Solokha steal?
(a) The moon.
(b) The stars.
(c) The sun.
(d) The clouds.
15. Why does Ivan not want to marry Grigor's sister?
(a) He wants to go back to the army.
(b) He is not the marrying kind.
(c) He does not love the woman.
(d) He has a broken heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khoma have to do for a Cossack chief?
2. Where is Khoma from?
3. What is the name of Gorobets' brother?
4. What is the name of the husband in this story?
5. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)