|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan's aunt want him to do?
(a) Pay for a doctor.
(b) Resign from the army.
(c) Organize his mother's funeral.
(d) Marry a rich women.
2. What does Thoma say his grandfather never told in all his days?
(b) A bad story.
(c) A joke.
(d) A truth.
3. What happens as Khoma prays at the witch's coffin?
(a) The witch rises to heaven.
(b) The witch disappears.
(c) The witch laughs.
(d) The witch grabs him.
4. How do Danilo and Katerina travel to Dnieper?
(a) By plane.
(b) By train.
(c) By boat.
(d) By horseback.
5. What does Ivan join at the age of 17?
(a) The Eagles.
(b) The Hari Krishnas.
(c) The navy.
(d) The infantry.
6. Where does the story of the Chief of the Gnomes begin?
(a) Braksky Monastry.
(b) Tiberiy Gorobets.
(d) Khuma Brut.
7. What is the name of the town in this story?
8. What is the name of the wife in this story?
9. How does Ivan describe his aunt's appearance?
(a) Old and frail.
(b) Strong and healthy.
(c) Ugly and spiteful.
(d) Deathlike and ghostly.
10. What is the name of Oksana's father?
11. Who owns the property next to Ivan's farm?
12. What does the church elder like to drink?
13. What is the name of Gorobets' brother?
14. What does the devil steal?
(a) The sun.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The moon.
(d) The star.
15. What do Ukrainians call the Chief of the Gnomes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Basavriuk as he sits on the stump?
2. What is the name of Katerina's father?
3. Where does Danilo imprison Katerina's father?
4. Who does Pulheria arrange to take care of her husband?
5. What is a cossack?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)