|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Passions," what does Zekele build when he loses the bet?
2. In "The Joke," where does Walden die?
3. In "The Cabalist of East Broadway," where can the main character get retirement funds?
4. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," what is the name of the narrator's wife?
5. In "The Betrayer of Israel," what is Koppel arrested for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Day in Coney Island," what does the narrator do for a living?
2. What are the three encounters, in the short story "Three Encounters"?
3. In "The Power of Darkness," what does Henia do after her death?
4. In "Passions," why is Jonathan named the better scholar?
5. In "A Crown of Feathers," how does the second crown of feathers come to be?
6. In "The Manuscript," when does Shibtah find her husband cheating on her?
7. What does Mrs. Brokeles apologize for in her letter to Harry?
8. In the short story "The Betrayer of Israel," why is Koppel considered the betrayer?
9. In "Grandfather and Grandson," what is Mordecai arrested for, and what does he say about it?
10. In "Old Love," how does Mrs. Brokeles die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are some interesting elements of magic and mysticism in the plots of these stories. What are some examples of this, and how are the tones of these stories different than the tones in the stories that do not have these fantastical elements?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
How did the immigration of Jews to America affect the people in some of these stories, and why?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)