|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Powers," what gift does the delivery boy say he has?
2. In "A Quotation from Klopstock," what does Max do at the end of the story?
3. Where does "Brother Beetle" take place?
4. In "The Joke," how does Bendel get in contact with the person he wants to correspond with?
5. In "Powers," what kind of women does the man say he thinks about often?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Grandfather and Grandson," why is Mordecai so alone?
2. In "The Psychic Journey," what happens to Margaret after the journey?
3. In "The Joke," how did Bendel get Walden to correspond with him?
4. How does the narrator relate with the beetle?
5. In "The Power of Darkness," why is Henia so jealous?
6. What happens when Theresa from "A Quotation from Klopstock" dies?
7. In "The Manuscript," when does Shibtah find her husband cheating on her?
8. In "The Power of Darkness," what does Henia do after her death?
9. What does Mrs. Brokeles apologize for in her letter to Harry?
10. In "Old Love," how does Mrs. Brokeles die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in these stories had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. In what stories does this theme appears, and how do the characters react who are touched by it? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)