|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Something Is There, what does the rabbi become skeptical about?
2. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," why do the two sisters attack each other?
3. In "The Betrayer of Israel," what is Koppel arrested for?
4. In "Something Is There," what stops the rabbi's skepticism?
5. In "The Cabalist of East Broadway," who buries the main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Psychic Journey," what happens to Margaret after the journey?
2. In "The Yearning Heifer," why does the narrator say he knows how the yearning heifer felt?
3. In "The Manuscript," when does Shibtah find her husband cheating on her?
4. What does Mrs. Brokeles apologize for in her letter to Harry?
5. What are the three encounters, in the short story "Three Encounters"?
6. In "Old Love," how does Mrs. Brokeles die?
7. What happens when Theresa from "A Quotation from Klopstock" dies?
8. In "Passions," why is Jonathan named the better scholar?
9. In "Grandfather and Grandson," why is Mordecai so alone?
10. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," how does the narrator come to know the two sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a lot of interesting advice given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what were the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
Judaism is very central to the plots of every single story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages being presented in them?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)