|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Admirer," where does the fan mail arrive?
2. In "Powers," what kind of women does the man say he thinks about often?
3. In "The Joke," with whom is Bendel trying to correspond?
4. In "A Dance and a Hop," how many times was Feigel engaged?
5. In "The Cabalist of East Broadway," where can the main character get retirement funds?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Old Love," how does Mrs. Brokeles die?
2. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," how does the narrator come to know the two sisters?
3. In "Powers," what did the delivery boy do about the depressed woman?
4. In "Passions," why is Jonathan named the better scholar?
5. In "The Joke," how did Bendel get Walden to correspond with him?
6. In "A Crown of Feathers," how does the second crown of feathers come to be?
7. In "The Power of Darkness," what does Henia do after her death?
8. What happens when Theresa from "A Quotation from Klopstock" dies?
9. In "The Psychic Journey," what happens to Margaret after the journey?
10. What does Shibtah from "The Manuscript" do when she catches her husband cheating on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Judaism is very central to the plots of every single story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages being presented in them?
Essay Topic 3
Polygamy was something many different men in these stories resorted to. What are their reasons for this, and how does this affect the other people in those stories?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)