|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Betrayer of Israel," to whom does Koppel compare himself?
2. In "The Admirer," where does the fan mail arrive?
3. In "A Quotation from Klopstock," how do people say Max squandered his talent?
4. In "A Quotation from Klopstock," what does Max do at the end of the story?
5. In "The Yearning Heifer," how much is charged for the farm room?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Power of Darkness," what does Henia do after her death?
2. In "Grandfather and Grandson," what is Mordecai arrested for, and what does he say about it?
3. In "The Psychic Journey," what happens to Margaret after the journey?
4. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," how does the narrator come to know the two sisters?
5. In "The Yearning Heifer," why does the narrator say he knows how the yearning heifer felt?
6. How does the narrator relate with the beetle?
7. What is the significance of the title of the short story called "Something Is There"?
8. In "Powers," what did the delivery boy do about the depressed woman?
9. What does Shibtah from "The Manuscript" do when she catches her husband cheating on her?
10. What does Mrs. Brokeles apologize for in her letter to Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in these stories had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Polygamy was something many different men in these stories resorted to. What are their reasons for this, and how does this affect the other people in those stories?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)