|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Slaughterer," how does Meil die?
2. In "Zeidel the Pope," what is Zeidel's greatest pleasure?
3. How many horses pull the carriage that holds "The Gentleman from Cracow"?
4. In "Tiabel and Her Demon," how often was Tiabel visited by an undisclosed man?
5. In "Short Friday," why is Shmul poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Cafeteria," how does Aaron first meet Esther?
2. In "A Friend of Kafka," how does Kohn say one can live forever?
3. What comforts Tiabel in "Tiabel and Her Demon"?
4. Why does Liebe in "The Dead Fiddler" never marry?
5. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Yentl do after her father's death?
6. How did Hennerly in "Henne Fire" die?
7. In "The Little Shoemakers," what happens when Abba gets to America?
8. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Avigdor name his first child, and why?
9. In "The Unseen," on what does Nathan blame his fall from grace?
10. Why does the desk clerk in "Alone get angry with the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the immigration of Jews to America affect the people in some of these stories, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Judaism is very central to the plots of every single story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages being presented in them?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the different forms the devil takes in this book, and why do you think they were each so different from each other.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)