|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gimpel the Fool," why does Gimpel pretend to believe the lies of his school mates?
2. In "The Letter Writer," how did Herman's family die?
3. In "A Friend of Kafka," how does Kohn impress others?
4. In "Joy," what motivates Bainish to keep doing good works?
5. What is the occupation of "The Gentleman from Cracow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Gimpel the Fool," what does Gimpel learn on his wife's deathbed?
2. In "Joy," what does Bainish talk about with Reb Abraham?
3. What does Zorach say about death at the end of "The Séance"?
4. Why does Meir become the Slaughterer?
5. What comforts Tiabel in "Tiabel and Her Demon"?
6. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Yentl do after her father's death?
7. In "The Letter Writer," how was Herman saved?
8. In "Zeidlus the Pope," how does the devil claim the man's soul?
9. For whom is a special tomb made in "The Gentleman from Cracow," and why?
10. In "A Friend of Kafka," what famous people does Kohn say he knows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. In what stories does this theme appears, and how do the characters react who are touched by it? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)