|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Gentleman from Cracow," how does the synagogue burn to the ground?
2. In "The Séance," what is the name of Zorach's lover?
3. In "Henne Fire," what does Hennerly's nickname mean?
4. Where does Gimpel live in "Gimpel the Fool"?
5. In "The Cafeteria," why does Esther approach Aaron?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Friend of Kafka," how does Kohn say one can live forever?
2. How and why is Liesel punished in "The Destruction of Kreshev"?
3. In "Alone," how did the desk clerk become a hunchback?
4. In "The Unseen," on what does Nathan blame his fall from grace?
5. Why does the desk clerk in "Alone get angry with the narrator?
6. In "The Letter Writer," how was Herman saved?
7. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Avigdor name his first child, and why?
8. How did Hennerly in "Henne Fire" die?
9. What does Zorach say about death at the end of "The Séance"?
10. In "A Friend of Kafka," what famous people does Kohn say he knows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Judaism is very central to the plots of every single story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages being presented in them?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)