|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Last Demon," who reveals the imp's feet?
2. In "The Destruction of Kreshev," who causes the destruction of kreshev?
3. In "The Slaughterer," how do the rabbis describe the job of the slaughterer?
4. In "The Unseen," what is Shifra's occupation?
5. In The Little Shoemakers," how many children does Abba have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is Liesel punished in "The Destruction of Kreshev"?
2. Why does Liebe in "The Dead Fiddler" never marry?
3. In "The Letter Writer," how was Herman saved?
4. In "Zeidlus the Pope," how does the devil claim the man's soul?
5. In "Joy," what does Bainish talk about with Reb Abraham?
6. In "Alone," how did the desk clerk become a hunchback?
7. In "The Little Shoemakers," what happens when Abba gets to America?
8. In "Short Friday," how does Shmul get to Paradise?
9. What does Zorach say about death at the end of "The Séance"?
10. How did Esther in "The Cafeteria" die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security are two themes present in these stories. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent through this blatant foolishness?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)