|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," what does Dora ask the narrator for help with?
(a) Finding her sister.
(b) Getting out of the country.
(c) Making some money.
(d) Finding a doctor.
2. In "The Joke," with whom is Bendel trying to correspond?
(a) A professor.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A historian.
(d) A philosopher.
3. In "A Dance and a Hop," what do the sisters all have in common?
(a) They are spinsters.
(b) They have tuberculosis.
(c) They live in America.
(d) They were molested.
4. Where does "Brother Beetle" take place?
(d) Tel Aviv.
5. What does the rabbi say at the end of "Something Is There"?
(a) What can be done?
(b) Where is my part?
(c) I need help.
(d) Something is there.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Admirer," how does Elizabeth describe her stepdaughter?
2. In "The Betrayer of Israel," what does Koppel peddle?
3. In "The Psychic Journey," what is Morris's occupation?
4. In "Passions," what is Jonathan's profession?
5. In "Something Is There," where does the rabbi's brother live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the short story "The Betrayer of Israel," why is Koppel considered the betrayer?
2. In "The Admirer," for what does Elizabeth apologize?
3. In "The Manuscript," when does Shibtah find her husband cheating on her?
4. In "The Power of Darkness," why is Henia so jealous?
5. What are the three encounters, in the short story "Three Encounters"?
6. What does Joel from "The Cabalist of East Broadway" refuse to do?
7. What is the significance of the title of the short story called "Something Is There"?
8. In "The Psychic Journey," what happens to Margaret after the journey?
9. How does the narrator relate with the beetle?
10. What does Mrs. Brokeles apologize for in her letter to Harry?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)