|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Grandfather and Grandson," what does Mordecai do every night at midnight?
(a) Goes for a walk.
(b) Says a prayer.
(c) Drinks some whiskey.
(d) Bakes bread.
2. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," what does Dora ask the narrator for help with?
(a) Finding a doctor.
(b) Getting out of the country.
(c) Making some money.
(d) Finding her sister.
3. In "The Yearning Heifer," how much is charged for the farm room?
(a) $100 a month.
(b) $10 a day.
(c) $10 a month.
(d) $10 a week.
4. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," why do the two sisters attack each other?
(a) They were practicing.
(b) They were sick.
(c) They were sharing a husband.
(d) They had flashbacks.
5. In "Powers," how was a woman saved from suicide?
(a) The man willed her to never have those thoughts again.
(b) Someone caught her and put her in an asylum.
(c) Someone killed her instead.
(d) The reporter married her and watched over her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Manuscript," what is Shibtah's occupation?
2. In "The Yearning Heifer," why does Bessie say the cow is wailing?
3. In "Three Encounters," where does the third encounter take place?
4. In "The Power of Darkness," what is driving Henia?
5. In "Something Is There," where does the rabbi's brother live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Day in Coney Island," what does the narrator do for a living?
2. What does Mrs. Brokeles apologize for in her letter to Harry?
3. In "A Dance and a Hop," how does Rachel die.
4. In "A Crown of Feathers," how does the second crown of feathers come to be?
5. In "The Manuscript," when does Shibtah find her husband cheating on her?
6. In "Passions," why is Jonathan named the better scholar?
7. In "The Admirer," for what does Elizabeth apologize?
8. What are the three encounters, in the short story "Three Encounters"?
9. What does Joel from "The Cabalist of East Broadway" refuse to do?
10. What is the significance of the title of the short story called "Something Is There"?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)