|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Spinoza of Market Street," what does Nahum think emotions cause?
2. In "The Letter Writer," what is Herman's occupation?
3. How many horses pull the carriage that holds "The Gentleman from Cracow"?
4. In "The Gentleman from Cracow," how does the synagogue burn to the ground?
(a) It is ignited as part of a ritual.
(b) The Gentleman sets it on fire.
(c) The poor people burn it for warmth.
(d) It is hit by lightning.
5. In "Zeidel the Pope," what is Zeidel's greatest pleasure?
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Little Shoemakers," what is Abba's wife's name?
2. In "The Letter Writer," how did Herman's family die?
3. In "The Letter Writer," what language does Herman love best?
4. In "Alone," where does the narrator live?
5. In "Gimpel the Fool," how many children does Elka have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zorach say about death at the end of "The Séance"?
2. In "Gimpel the Fool," what does Gimpel learn on his wife's deathbed?
3. How did Esther in "The Cafeteria" die?
4. How did Hennerly in "Henne Fire" die?
5. Why does Liebe in "The Dead Fiddler" never marry?
6. What comforts Tiabel in "Tiabel and Her Demon"?
7. In "Zeidlus the Pope," how does the devil claim the man's soul?
8. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Avigdor name his first child, and why?
9. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Yentl do after her father's death?
10. In "A Friend of Kafka," how does Kohn say one can live forever?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)