|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Short Friday," why is Shmul poor?
(a) He keeps moving.
(b) He has a bad reputation.
(c) He is too charitable.
(d) He is not good at his job.
2. In "Gimpel the Fool," how many children does Elka have?
3. In "The Spinoza of Market Street," what is Nahum a doctor of?
4. In "Joy," what is Bainish's wife expecting him to do?
(a) Believe in her innocence.
(b) Continue on in faith.
(c) Free his cousin.
(d) Cure them of their bad fortune.
5. In "The Unseen," what is Shifra's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Gentleman from Cracow," how does the synagogue burn to the ground?
2. In "The Slaughterer," how do the rabbis describe the job of the slaughterer?
3. In "The Dead Fiddler," how does Liebe's fiancé die?
4. In "Short Friday," where does Shmul end up in the end?
5. In "Zeidel the Pope," how does Zeidel lose his bag of coins?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Short Friday," how does Shmul get to Paradise?
2. In "The Last Demon," how is the imp revealed?
3. How and why is Liesel punished in "The Destruction of Kreshev"?
4. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," what does Yentl do after her father's death?
5. Why does Liebe in "The Dead Fiddler" never marry?
6. In "Alone," how did the desk clerk become a hunchback?
7. In "The Letter Writer," how was Herman saved?
8. In "The Cafeteria," how does Aaron first meet Esther?
9. In "Joy," what does Bainish talk about with Reb Abraham?
10. What does Zorach say about death at the end of "The Séance"?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)