|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Yearning Heifer," how old is Bessie's daughter?
2. In "The Joke," with whom is Bendel trying to correspond?
(a) A historian.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A professor.
3. Where does "The Psychic Journey" take Morris?
4. In "Three Encounters," what is the name of the woman the narrator loves?
5. In "Brother Beetle," how does Dosha describe her lover?
6. In "Passions," what is Jonathan's profession?
7. In "The Power of Darkness," what is driving Henia?
8. In "A Day in Coney Island," why does the narrator say he left Poland?
(a) To abandon his family.
(b) To escape the Nazis.
(c) To find his father.
(d) To find his wife.
9. In "A Quotation from Klopstock," what does Max do at the end of the story?
(a) Reads the obituaries.
(b) Orders another beer.
(c) Flirts with the waitress.
(d) Breaks down in tears.
10. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," what is the name of the narrator's wife?
11. In "Passions," who says Jonathan is the winner of the bet?
(a) A panel of rabbis.
(b) Zekele's wife.
(c) The professor.
(d) Jonathan's father.
12. In "The Power of Darkness," why do people think Henia wants to die?
(a) So she can be with her dead lover.
(b) So she will finally know the truth.
(c) So she can hide from her reputation.
(d) So her husband can marry her sister.
13. What does the rabbi say at the end of "Something Is There"?
(a) Where is my part?
(b) I need help.
(c) What can be done?
(d) Something is there.
14. In "Brother Beetle," where does the narrator run into Dosha?
(a) A synagogue.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A library.
15. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," what does Dora ask the narrator for help with?
(a) Finding a doctor.
(b) Making some money.
(c) Finding her sister.
(d) Getting out of the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Yearning Heifer," why does Bessie say the cow is wailing?
2. In "Old Love," where do Harry's grandchildren live?
3. In "Passions," what does Zekele build when he loses the bet?
4. In "The Admirer," what disease does Elizabeth's stepdaughter have?
5. In "The Cabalist of East Broadway," who buries the main character?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)