|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Passions," what is Jonathan's profession?
2. In "A Quotation from Klopstock," how do people say Max squandered his talent?
(a) Traveling the world.
(b) Chasing girls.
(c) Trying experiments.
(d) Drinking in bars.
3. In "Passions," what does Jonathan have a passion for?
4. Who takes Morris on "The Psychic Journey"?
5. In "A Dance and a Hop," what kind of business do the sisters run?
(a) A chandler.
(b) A cooper shop.
(c) A mercantile.
(d) A bakery.
6. In "A Quotation from Klopstock," what does Max do at the end of the story?
(a) Reads the obituaries.
(b) Breaks down in tears.
(c) Orders another beer.
(d) Flirts with the waitress.
7. In "A Day in Coney Island," in what language does the narrator write for his job?
8. In "The Admirer," what disease does Elizabeth have?
9. In "The Yearning Heifer," what does the writer do when he goes for a walk on the farm?
(a) Picks some flowers.
(b) Pats the cow.
(c) Writes a column.
(d) Kisses Sylvia.
10. In "Powers," what do the delivery boy and the reporter both have an interest in?
(a) The supernatural.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The Jewish religion.
11. In "Old Love," where does Harry live?
(b) Key West.
12. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," why do the two sisters attack each other?
(a) They were sharing a husband.
(b) They were practicing.
(c) They had flashbacks.
(d) They were sick.
13. Where does "Brother Beetle" take place?
(a) Tel Aviv.
14. What does the main character in "The Cabalist of East Broadway" say man does not live by?
15. In "Three Encounters," what kind of work does the narrator's brother do?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Grandfather and Grandson," what does Mordecai do every night at midnight?
2. In "The Joke," with whom is Bendel trying to correspond?
3. In "The Admirer," how does Elizabeth describe her stepdaughter?
4. In "The Power of Darkness," why do people think Henia wants to die?
5. In "A Tale of Two Sisters," what is the name of the narrator's wife?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)