|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "The Gentleman from Cracow" do when he arrives in Frampol?
(a) All of these.
(b) Buys cart loads of flour for the bakery.
(c) Calls for a feast.
(d) Gives coins to as many townspeople as he could.
2. In "Short Friday," what is Smul's occupation?
3. In "Zeidel the Pope," what is Zeidel's greatest pleasure?
4. In "The Destruction of Kreshev," who causes the destruction of kreshev?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) The Nazis.
(c) The Devil.
(d) Some renegade Jews.
5. In "The Last Demon," which of these is NOT one of the fool-proof sins?
6. In "A Friend of Kafka," to what does Kohn compare life?
(a) A chess game.
(b) A magic chess.
(c) The ocean.
(d) A journey.
7. In "The Unseen," what is Shifra's occupation?
8. In The Slaughterer, why does Meir not become the next rabbi?
(a) Political dealings.
(b) He fell ill.
(c) He failed his test.
(d) There were questions of his virility.
9. At the end of "The Spinoza of Market Street," for what does Nahum ask forgiveness?
(a) Becoming greedy.
(b) Falling in love.
(c) Abandoning his mission.
(d) Becoming a fool.
10. In "The Letter Writer," how did Herman's family die?
(a) In a house fire.
(b) In an attack and robbery.
(c) In a plague epidemic.
(d) In the Holocaust.
11. In "The Last Demon," who reveals the imp's feet?
(a) The Tailor.
(b) The Teacher.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The Baker.
12. In "The Unseen," where did Nathan run away?
13. In "The Destruction of Kreshev,"of what is Shloimele a secret member?
(a) An evil worshipping cult.
(b) A sect of undercover Nazis.
(c) A sex slave trade ring.
(d) An orthodox Jewish group.
14. In "Alone," where does the narrator live?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A hut.
(c) A mansion.
(d) An apartment.
15. In "The Letter Writer," what language does Herman love best?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Joy," what is Bainish's wife expecting him to do?
2. In "Zeidel the Pope," how old is Zeidel when he becomes a rabbi?
3. In "Tiabel and Her Demon," how often was Tiabel visited by an undisclosed man?
4. How many horses pull the carriage that holds "The Gentleman from Cracow"?
5. In "The Letter Writer," what is Herman's occupation?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)