|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Joy," what ceremony is Bainish avoiding?
(a) His son's wedding.
(b) His cousin's trial.
(c) His wife's execution.
(d) His daughter's funeral.
2. In "The Dead Fiddler," where do the orbs of light leave Liebe's body?
(a) Her mouth.
(b) Her ears.
(c) Her fingers.
(d) Her nostrils.
3. What is the occupation of "The Gentleman from Cracow"?
4. In "Henne Fire," where did Hennerly get her nickname?
(a) From the townspeople who hated her.
(b) From her parents.
(c) From her husband.
(d) From some mean kids at school.
5. In "The Destruction of Kreshev," who causes the destruction of kreshev?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) Some renegade Jews.
(c) The Devil.
(d) The Nazis.
6. In "Yentl the Yeshiva Boy," how is Yentl described?
(d) Sweet mannered.
7. Where does Gimpel live in "Gimpel the Fool"?
8. In "Zeidel the Pope," how does Zeidel lose his bag of coins?
(a) A thief takes it.
(b) He misplaces it.
(c) It is used to pay rent.
(d) He donates it to charity.
9. In "Tiabel and Her Demon," where does Nissan go after he deserts his wife?
10. In "The Gentleman from Cracow," how does the synagogue burn to the ground?
(a) The poor people burn it for warmth.
(b) The Gentleman sets it on fire.
(c) It is hit by lightning.
(d) It is ignited as part of a ritual.
11. In "Gimpel the Fool," how many children does Elka have?
12. What does "The Gentleman from Cracow" do when he arrives in Frampol?
(a) Buys cart loads of flour for the bakery.
(b) Calls for a feast.
(c) All of these.
(d) Gives coins to as many townspeople as he could.
13. In "The Letter Writer," what language does Herman love best?
14. In "Henne Fire," to what is Hennerly compared?
(a) A demon.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A witch.
15. In The Slaughterer, why does Meir not become the next rabbi?
(a) Political dealings.
(b) There were questions of his virility.
(c) He fell ill.
(d) He failed his test.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Friend of Kafka," to what does Kohn compare life?
2. In "Short Friday," where does Shmul end up in the end?
3. In "The Slaughterer," how does Meil die?
4. In "Joy," what is Bainish's wife expecting him to do?
5. In "The Spinoza of Market Street," what is Nahum a doctor of?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)