|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man in "The Omelet" starving?
2. What does Colette want in "The Photographer's Wife"?
3. What makes the painter in "The Landscape" re-think his killing himself?
4. Why is the married couple hoping for the other couple to marry in "The Rendezvous"?
5. Who were the characters of "The Portrait" in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man in "The Hidden Woman" do instead of going out of town?
2. Why does Bernard end an affair in "The Rendezvous"?
3. What does Colette discuss in "The Hand"?
4. What does Colette discuss in "Green Sealing Wax"?
5. What does the country doctor in "The Patriarch" experience?
6. What does the soldier do in "The Bitch"?
7. Why does the man become jealous in "A Dead End"?
8. What is the man haunted by in "Dawn"?
9. How does Maxine become convinced that Armande loves him in "Armande"?
10. What are Clara and Antoinette rivals over in "The Rivals"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare youthful characters with older characters and examine their motivations and conflicts, discussing how Colette describes each.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Colette's role as both a narrator and character in some of the stories and determine how it benefits or detracts from the story line.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Colette's personal background influenced Colette's writing and the subjects of her stories.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)