|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman in "Bastienne's Child"?
2. Who is the girl angry with in "My Goddaughter"?
3. What does the performer in "The Misfit" think of the summer crowds?
4. Who does the woman in "The Circus Horse" perform with?
5. In "The Other Table" what is the profession of the wealthy man's love interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Colette write about in "A Letter" and what criticisms does she give?
2. Why is the goddaughter unhappy in "My Goddaughter"?
3. What practice is described in "Rites"?
4. Why does Valentine scold Colette in "The Semiramis Bar"?
5. What does Colette find out about the dancer's mother?
6. What do Colette and her goddaughter discuss in "Literature"?
7. Who does Colette describe in "Lola"?
8. What is vulgar according to Colette in "The Master"?
9. Who goes to the opium den in "The Screen" and why?
10. How is the tenor described in "The Tenor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define feminism and determine what character is the best example of a woman despairing over her lack of meaningful work.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Colette's use of narrative methods benefit her examination of human nature.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Colette's use of dialogue in her writing and why she uses dialogue from characters.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)