|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "The Saleswoman" describe?
2. What is the letter Collete writes despite criticizing her friend?
3. In "Literature" what does the girl give her opinion on?
4. What does the younger man see that makes him depressed in "The Pearls"?
5. What does the masseuse in "A Masseuse" complain about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Colette worry about in "The Starveling"?
2. What does "The Strike, Oh, Lord, the Strike!" describe?
3. Who does Colette describe in "Lola"?
4. What happens between Cheri and Lea in "Cheri", "The Return", and "The Pearls"?
5. What does the man accept in "Chouk's Fling"?
6. What does "Arrival and Rehearsal" continue?
7. What happens with dancers according to "The Accompanist"?
8. Why does Valentine scold Colette in "The Semiramis Bar"?
9. What happened to Josette in "The Victim"?
10. Who does Colette write about in "A Letter" and what criticisms does she give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Colette's personal background influenced Colette's writing and the subjects of her stories.
Essay Topic 2
Define feminism and determine what character is the best example of a woman despairing over her lack of meaningful work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what it means to be a bourgeoisie and how Colette describes the bourgeoisie.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)