|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter had to answer a question about television________ to spend the night with GS.
2. Winter's and Bullet's apartment in Manhattan overlooks the ________.
3. Who raised Bullet in Brooklyn?
4. Where did Sister Souljah first see Midnight?
5. What is the first house rule at Sister Souljah's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sister Souljah question the women about in the meetings in her apartment?
2. How does Simone attack Winter when she gets into the rental car in Chapter 19?
3. Why does Bullet want to rent a car to get his drugs and guns to Baltimore?
4. How does Bullet describe how Santiaga ended up in prison to Winter?
5. What is Winter's plan to find Midnight after she discovers his whereabouts in his letters to Sister Souljah?
6. What does Sister Souljah tell the women who attend the meetings in her home?
7. What does Winter learn from the letters from Santiaga her mother gave the fateful day she was arrested?
8. How does Bullet control Winter's every move?
9. What does Winter learn about Midnight through the letters she stole from Sister Souljah?
10. How does Bullet come back into Winter's life, and why does she decide to give him another chance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of life and death in the novel in terms of both physical death and spiritual death.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of media and commercial images used throughout the novel. What purpose do they serve? Do they enhance the reader's experience or distract the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sister Souljah as both an author and a character in the novel. What impact did her character have on the narrative intent and the reader's experience?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)