|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Winter in Brooklyn as she is trying to leave in the rental car?
2. Who raised Bullet in Brooklyn?
3. How much money does Winter steal from Doc's office in Chapter 15?
4. In what part of Harlem does Sister Souljah live?
5. Whom does Winter run into at the party for GS?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bullet come back into Winter's life, and why does she decide to give him another chance?
2. What does Sister Souljah question the women about in the meetings in her apartment?
3. How does Bullet describe how Santiaga ended up in prison to Winter?
4. What is Winter's life like in prison?
5. Why does Winter agree to stay at Sister Souljah's house?
6. What happens to Winter when she and Bullet stop in Brooklyn to leave his car before their trip to Baltimore?
7. What does Winter learn from the letters from Santiaga her mother gave the fateful day she was arrested?
8. What happens when Winter is allowed to leave prison and attend her mother's funeral?
9. Why does Bullet ask Winter about Midnight as they plan their trip to Baltimore?
10. What does Winter discover about Sister Souljah as a member or her household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the hip hop music scene throughout the novel? Do you think the novel accurately portrays that world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What qualities does Winter embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes her a reliable or unreliable narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sister Souljah as both an author and a character in the novel. What impact did her character have on the narrative intent and the reader's experience?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)