|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winter spend the night after she escapes Simone's attack?
2. Whom does Winter call for help in Chapter 6?
3. How long is Winter's probation period in the group home?
4. What is the name of Winter's roommate Lashay's favorite magazine?
5. Who comes to Penn Station the day after Winter runs away from the group home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Midnight manage to stay out of jail while Santiaga and all his associates are in prison?
2. What is Mrs. Santiaga's first concern after she is released from jail?
3. What are the two most pressing issues facing Santiaga on a regular basis?
4. What does Winter discover about her father when she takes her mother to visit him in prison?
5. What happens the first time Winter escapes Long Island to go into Brooklyn?
6. After her mom is shot, what does Santiaga tell his daughter?
7. What happens when Winter goes back to Brooklyn to see her old friends in Chapter 8?
8. What are Winter's feelings about Brooklyn?
9. What is Winter's relationship like with her mother?
10. What happens when Winter returns from celebrating her seventeenth birthday with her Brooklyn friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Winter's relationship with her mother? What purpose does Mrs. Santiaga's character serve in the novel? What message does Sister Souljah have about mothers and daughters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in The Coldest Winter Ever. What purpose did Winter serve in the narrative? What purpose did Midnight serve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of this novel and their impact on the reader's experience.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)