|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 30, how many hostages did Jack rescue from a bank when he was with the police force?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 18, how long had the house that Julie and her children were staying in been empty before they came?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 29, what type of tree did Lucy plant above Birdie's grave?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 29, what was Birdie's mother's name?
5. In Part 3, XI, when did Birdie say that she had her first visitor after her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 29, who was Birdie?
2. In Part 2, VIII, what did Ada say about the experience when she nearly drowned?
3. In Part 2, VIII, who was Fanny's father and what did he do?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 31, how did Tip get the Radcliffe Blue, and what did he do with it?
5. In Part 2, IX, what did Edward give Bridie for her birthday?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 22, how does Elodie remember that Tip described his mother, her great-grandmother?
7. In Part 2, VII, why did Edward and his mother visit the place where Birdie lived with Mrs. Mack and the others?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 28, where was the Radcliffe Blue found?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 19, how did Juliet describe Birchwood Manor the first time she saw it?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 26, why did Birdie and Lucy have to hide and where did they hide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birdie and Elodie are not in the upper echelons of society. Who was Birdie’s mother? What class was her father? What social class would the family have been considered? How did Birdie’s social class change after she went to live with Mrs. Mack? What does Elodie’s father do? What is her occupation? What is her social status compared to Alastair’s? What is revealed about class structure through the two women?
Essay Topic 2
Mood is an element that authors use to evoke feelings in readers through the use of descriptive language. Mood is the overall feeling that readers have when reading a story. Consider the concept of mood and color. If you could assign a color to represent the mood of the novel, what color would it be? Would you choose different colors to describe the mood in various sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Characters experience abandonment in the novel. Birdie was abandoned when her mother and then her father died. How does feeling abandoned affect Birdie and Elodie? In what way was Edward also abandoned? What abandonment did Ada experience? How do these experiences of abandonment affect characters? How does it draw some characters together? How does being abandoned affect characters and the relationships they have in life?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)