|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the Mountain Madness climbers, who was the first to give up the mission?
2. What was happened to Ngawang Topche Sherpa?
3. What magazine contacted Boukreev while he was in New Mexico?
4. What strategy did Beidleman recommend while on the South Col?
5. What did Boukreev give Neal so he could fix ropes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between Boukreev and Yasuko Namba's husband.
2. What was DeWalt's hope for commercial climbing expeditions?
3. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempts on the South Col.
4. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempt of Fischer.
5. What happened when the Mountain Madness team reached Camp IV?
6. What were Hall's and Fischer's differing philosophies on climbing?
7. What were Boukreev's thoughts on the article published by Krakauer?
8. What happened on Boukreev's first attempt from Camp IV to aid climbers?
9. In Chapter 12, The Countdown, who was Boukreev concerned about?
10. On Boukreev's descent, in Chapter 16, Decision and Descent, what was the plan for Boukreev to ascend to Camp IV? Why is this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Complete an analysis of Anatoli Boukreev that addresses the following areas: physical description, climbing experience, perceptions of him as a guide, controversial actions on the climb.
Essay Topic 2
Is Boukreev a hero, or did his own actions put him in a dangerous position? Support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two philosophical approaches to mountain climbing. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Which one would you subscribe to and why?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)