|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time did Boukreev arrive at Camp IV?
2. What unique strategy did Krakauer use to make up time coming down the mountain?
3. Who led the lost group in the direction of Camp IV?
4. How many total hours of oxygen did the Mountain Madness climbers have?
5. What communication gear was the crew lacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Mountain Madness team reached Camp IV?
2. Describe the oxygen the team took on their summit push.
3. What was the controversy over fixing the ropes from Camp IV to the Summit?
4. What happened on Boukreev's first attempt from Camp IV to aid climbers?
5. What were Hall's and Fischer's differing philosophies on climbing?
6. In Chapter 12, The Countdown, who was Boukreev concerned about?
7. Who were the first Mountain Madness climbers to reach the summit and at what time did they reach it?
8. What were Boukreev's thoughts on the article published by Krakauer?
9. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempts on the South Col.
10. Describe Boukreev's return to Everest the following year.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened with the group of climbers lost on the South Col. Who was in the group and what did they each do. Who made it back to Camp IV safely? What should they have done different, if anything?
Essay Topic 2
"The Climb" is a response to Krakauer's article and subsequent book, "Into Thin Air." What was Boukreev's response? Was his response adequate? What, if anything, should he have done differently?
Essay Topic 3
Dale Kruse was cause for concern at more than one point in the novel. Describe the problems he caused for the rest of the team. Why was Fischer strongly tied to Kruse? What impact did Kruse's ailments specifically have on Fischer?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)