|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine contacted Boukreev while he was in New Mexico?
2. What did Charlotte do for Sandy, in Chapter 17, Snowblind?
3. What did Boukreev learn from the Sherpas about Fischer?
4. Of the Mountain Madness climbers, who was the first to give up the mission?
5. What strategy did Beidleman recommend while on the South Col?
Short Essay Questions
1. On Boukreev's descent, in Chapter 16, Decision and Descent, what was the plan for Boukreev to ascend to Camp IV? Why is this important?
2. What happened to Kruse in Chapter 12, The Countdown?
3. Who was the first to contact Boukreev from the media about the climb of Everest and how did Boukreev respond?
4. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempt of Fischer.
5. What were the group's actions lost on the South Col?
6. Describe the oxygen the team took on their summit push.
7. Who were the first Mountain Madness climbers to reach the summit and at what time did they reach it?
8. Besides Boukreev, who else reached Camp IV after the summit, and what did Boukreev do?
9. What were Hall's and Fischer's differing philosophies on climbing?
10. Describe the encounter between Boukreev and Yasuko Namba's husband.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the climbing route the Mountain Madness climbers took. Where did they stop and at what elevations?
Essay Topic 2
Complete an analysis of Anatoli Boukreev that addresses the following areas: physical description, climbing experience, perceptions of him as a guide, controversial actions on the climb.
Essay Topic 3
What role did oxygen play in the climbing of Everest? Describe the use of oxygen by the Mountain Madness team, from the acquisition of oxygen to the use of the canisters while climbing the summit.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)