|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Boukreev search for in Chapter 19, The Rescue Transcript, before going out for another rescue attempt?
2. Of the 33 climbers that ascended Mt. Everest on May 10,1996, how many returned?
3. At what time did Beidleman make it to the South Summit?
4. At what time did Dr. Hunt talk to Fischer on the Summit?
5. What was Frank Fishbeck's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempt of Fischer.
2. What happened to the climbers that didn't return from the expedition?
3. What were the group's actions lost on the South Col?
4. On Boukreev's descent, in Chapter 16, Decision and Descent, what was the plan for Boukreev to ascend to Camp IV? Why is this important?
5. Who were the first Mountain Madness climbers to reach the summit and at what time did they reach it?
6. Who was the first to contact Boukreev from the media about the climb of Everest and how did Boukreev respond?
7. Who was in the group on the South Col?
8. What was a turnaround time, and how was it used by Hall's and Fischer's teams?
9. Describe the oxygen the team took on their summit push.
10. What happened to Kruse in Chapter 12, The Countdown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boukreev was responsible for the groups acclimatization plan. What was this and why was it necessary? Describe the plan Boukreev proposed. What part, if any, did Fischer not agree to?
Essay Topic 2
Complete an analysis of Scott Fischer that addresses the following areas: physical description, climbing experience, Mountain Madness history, and motivation for climbing and guiding.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jon Krakauer, and what does he allege about the May,1996, climbing of Everest?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)