|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what aspect did Fischer not agree with Boukreev's acclimation plan?
2. What did Boukreev come across in Chapter 9, Camp II?
3. Who payed for the Sherpas to prepare the routes?
4. Where did the clients from the United States fly out of?
5. Fischer was often heard saying what to his team members?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Boukreev justify not helping the clients set up at Camp II?
2. What was the role of the Sherpas on a climbing expedition?
3. Describe the setting of the fixed ropes, in Chapter 11, Towards the Push.
4. What did Henry Todd think about Kruse being on the Mountain Madness team?
5. Describe the problem with the oxygen, in Chapter 5, "The Trail to Everest."
6. Who was Hunt?
7. Much of "The Climb" is aimed at defending Boukreev against accusations made about his conduct on the climb. What two defenses did the authors stress in Chapters 3 and 4?
8. Besides Mountain Madness, who else climbed Everest in the spring of 1996?
9. How did Boukreev get from Kathmandu to Everest base camp?
10. What was the plan for Boukreev and the clients, in Chapter 11, Towards the Push?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two philosophical approaches to mountain climbing. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Which one would you subscribe to and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role do Sherpas play in climbing Everest? Do you think Sherpas are well paid for their unique abilities or are they taken advantage of? Support your thesis with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened with the group of climbers lost on the South Col. Who was in the group and what did they each do. Who made it back to Camp IV safely? What should they have done different, if anything?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)