|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the ages of Ngima and Lopsang?
2. What did the climbers lack to be able to ascend the fixed ropes of the Lhotse Face?
3. How high did Boukreev climb, in Chapter 9, Camp II?
4. What percentage of the clients did Beidleman believe would succeed?
5. With what aspect did Fischer not agree with Boukreev's acclimation plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sandy Hill Pittman?
2. Describe the setting of the fixed ropes, in Chapter 11, Towards the Push.
3. How did Boukreev come to work for Mountain Madness as a guide?
4. About whom was Boukreev initially concerned?
5. How did Boukreev justify not helping the clients set up at Camp II?
6. Who were the guides Fischer hired to lead his expedition?
7. What request from Fischer surprised Boukreev, in Chapter 3, "Doing the Deals?"
8. Who were the lead Sherpas hired by Fischer, and how did Boukreev feel about them?
9. What happened in Chapter 11, Towards the Push, to Dale Kruse?
10. What caused delays in getting equipment to base camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boukreev was responsible for the groups acclimatization plan. What was this and why was it necessary? Describe the plan Boukreev proposed. What part, if any, did Fischer not agree to?
Essay Topic 2
What role do Sherpas play in climbing Everest? Do you think Sherpas are well paid for their unique abilities or are they taken advantage of? Support your thesis with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Mt. Everest is typically climbed by organized climbing businesses. These businesses organize the trip and offer support throughout the climb. In an essay, describe the various commercial climbing companies available, including what they offer and cost. Next, analyze the ethical issues raised by the commercial climbing industry.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)