|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Boukreev do for the clients while setting up Camp II?
2. Why did Boukreev go to Russia?
3. What was the first priority once the team reached Base Camp?
4. What place did the group attempt to reach on April 23?
5. Whom was Boukreev concerned about, in Chapter 8, Khumbu to Cam II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Boukreev get from Kathmandu to Everest base camp?
2. What caused delays in getting equipment to base camp?
3. Describe Boukreev's acclimatization plan.
4. With whom did Jon Krakauer originally sign on to climb, and why is this important?
5. What did Henry Todd think about Kruse being on the Mountain Madness team?
6. Who did Neal Beidleman recruit?
7. What was the plan for Boukreev and the clients, in Chapter 11, Towards the Push?
8. In Chapter 10, The First Delays, what were the attitudes of the clients towards the guides of the Mountain Madness expedition?
9. What was the role of the Sherpas on a climbing expedition?
10. Besides Mountain Madness, who else climbed Everest in the spring of 1996?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dale Kruse was cause for concern at more than one point in the novel. Describe the problems he caused for the rest of the team. Why was Fischer strongly tied to Kruse? What impact did Kruse's ailments specifically have on Fischer?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jon Krakauer, and what does he allege about the May,1996, climbing of Everest?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the climbing route the Mountain Madness climbers took. Where did they stop and at what elevations?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)