|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day was it, at the beginning of Chapter 12, The Countdown, when Boukreev begins his descent?
2. What strategy did Beidleman recommend while on the South Col?
(a) Stay together as a group.
(b) Lead the group to safety.
(c) Everyone for themselves.
(d) Split off into pairs.
3. Of the Mountain Madness climbers, who was the first to give up the mission?
4. In the Postscript, what relative of Namba's did Boukreev encounter?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her nephew.
5. What did Pittman eat in Pheriche?
(a) Elk and rice.
(b) Venison and lentils.
(c) Spaghetti and meatballs.
(d) Yak steak and french fries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last mountain Boukreev attempted to climb?
2. What was Boukreev surprised to find at the airport in Kathmandu?
3. Besides Boukreev, who else was alone in a tent, at the end of Chapter 17, Snowblind?
4. Of the 33 climbers that ascended Mt. Everest on May 10,1996, how many returned?
5. What did Boukreev learn from the Sherpas about Fischer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Mountain Madness team reached Camp IV?
2. What happened to Kruse in Chapter 12, The Countdown?
3. What was a turnaround time, and how was it used by Hall's and Fischer's teams?
4. Who was the first to contact Boukreev from the media about the climb of Everest and how did Boukreev respond?
5. What were Hall's and Fischer's differing philosophies on climbing?
6. What was DeWalt's hope for commercial climbing expeditions?
7. Who was in the group on the South Col?
8. Describe the encounter between Boukreev and Yasuko Namba's husband.
9. Describe Boukreev's return to Everest the following year.
10. What were Krakauer's criticisms of Boukreev?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)