|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Charlotte do for Sandy, in Chapter 17, Snowblind?
(a) Changed her oxygen tanks.
(b) Carried her down the Summit.
(c) Replaced her crampons.
(d) Gave Sandy a shot of dexamethaone.
2. The author DeWalt refered to the string of climbers hiking the mountain in Chapter 14, To The South Summit, as what?
(a) The dead man walking.
(b) The snake dance.
(c) The twisted sister.
(d) The pretzel.
3. What strategy did Beidleman recommend while on the South Col?
(a) Everyone for themselves.
(b) Split off into pairs.
(c) Lead the group to safety.
(d) Stay together as a group.
4. What unique strategy did Krakauer use to make up time coming down the mountain?
5. What time of day was it, at the beginning of Chapter 12, The Countdown, when Boukreev begins his descent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Boukreev search for in Chapter 19, The Rescue Transcript, before going out for another rescue attempt?
2. Who was the last to leave Camp IV in Chapter 13, Into the Death Zone?
3. In Chapter 12, The Countdown, who stopped unexpectedly at Camp I?
4. As a consultant, what kind of plan did Boukreev outline for the Everest climb in 1997?
5. What was the last mountain Boukreev attempted to climb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempt of Fischer.
2. What happened when the Mountain Madness team reached Camp IV?
3. What was DeWalt's hope for commercial climbing expeditions?
4. What happened to the climbers that didn't return from the expedition?
5. Who was the first to contact Boukreev from the media about the climb of Everest and how did Boukreev respond?
6. Who were the first Mountain Madness climbers to reach the summit and at what time did they reach it?
7. Describe Boukreev's rescue attempts on the South Col.
8. What was a turnaround time, and how was it used by Hall's and Fischer's teams?
9. What were Hall's and Fischer's differing philosophies on climbing?
10. What were Dr. Hunt's thoughts on the climbers, in Chapter 17, Snowblind?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)