|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the exception to Boukreev's beliefs about his clients?
2. Where did the clients from the United States fly out of?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
3. Over dinner, in Chapter 5, The Trail to Everest, how did the four men plan to obtain their equipment?
(a) The found an alternate supplier.
(b) They put Boukreev in charge.
(c) Fischer decided to rush to New Zealand to procure the equipment.
(d) They divided it up.
4. How long did Boukreev allow for his trek to base camp?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 14 days.
5. Boukreev's role for Mountain Madness was to prepare ____.
(a) The people for the mountain.
(b) The mountain for the people.
(c) The equipment for the people.
(d) The people for the equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the minimum amount of time required to cross the crevices, in Chapter 8, Khumbu to Camp II?
2. What was Jane Bromet's role for Mountain Madness?
3. Whom was Boukreev concerned about, in Chapter 8, Khumbu to Cam II?
4. Who payed for the Sherpas to prepare the routes?
5. What did the climbers do during their mandatory rest period at Camp II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Much of "The Climb" is aimed at defending Boukreev against accusations made about his conduct on the climb. What two defenses did the authors stress in Chapters 3 and 4?
2. How did Boukreev justify not helping the clients set up at Camp II?
3. What was Boukreev's initial reaction to meeting his climbers?
4. Describe the setting of the fixed ropes, in Chapter 11, Towards the Push.
5. Dale Kruse, a dentist from Colorado and an early financial supporter of Fischer's climbing business, was the eighth member of the group. Why was his inclusion controversial?
6. About whom was Boukreev initially concerned?
7. Describe the relationship between Fischer and Boukreev in the planning stages of the expedition?
8. Who are the authors of "The Climb?"
9. Who were the lead Sherpas hired by Fischer, and how did Boukreev feel about them?
10. What was the first major obstacle to the climb of Everest and how is it crossed?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)