|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rob Hall's turnaround time?
2. In Pittman's satellite report in Chapter 13, Into the Death Zone, at Camp III, what did she report she was eating?
(b) Red licorice.
3. At what time did Madsen, Fox, Gamelgaard, and Pittman make it to the summit?
(a) Between 2:30 and 2:45.
(b) Between 2:15 and 2:30.
(c) Between 2:00 and 2:15.
(d) After 3:00.
4. Who was the first climber to be in distress on the descent of Everest?
5. What word did the author suggest for Boukreev to describe how he got his energy to make another rescue attempt?
6. The author DeWalt refered to the string of climbers hiking the mountain in Chapter 14, To The South Summit, as what?
(a) The pretzel.
(b) The twisted sister.
(c) The dead man walking.
(d) The snake dance.
7. What strategy did Beidleman recommend while on the South Col?
(a) Everyone for themselves.
(b) Lead the group to safety.
(c) Stay together as a group.
(d) Split off into pairs.
8. What communication gear was the crew lacking?
(a) Satellite phones.
(d) Ear pieces.
9. Why did Pittman trek to Pheriche?
(a) To see a doctor.
(b) To get additional supplies.
(c) To rest in a comfortable bed.
(d) To see friends.
10. Who was the first person Boukreev escorted back to Camp IV?
11. What peak did Boukreev solo before going to Kathmandu?
12. All of the following happened at the Balcony except what?
(a) Changing oxygen.
(b) Removing crampons.
(c) Taking pictures.
13. As a consultant, what kind of plan did Boukreev outline for the Everest climb in 1997?
(a) A lengthy running program.
(b) A plan akin to an astronaut training program.
(c) A supportive research study plan.
(d) A rigorous training and acclimitization plan.
14. Of the 33 climbers that ascended Mt. Everest on May 10,1996, how many returned?
15. What unique strategy did Krakauer use to make up time coming down the mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, The Last Attempt, who escorted the Mountain Madness climbers down?
2. What was happened to Ngawang Topche Sherpa?
3. How did climbers at Camp IV signal to others where they were located?
4. Which group of people were in favor of turn around times?
5. What time of day was it, at the beginning of Chapter 12, The Countdown, when Boukreev begins his descent?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)