|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of the clients did Beidleman believe would succeed?
(a) One quarter.
(b) Two thirds.
(d) One hundred percent.
2. What were the ages of Ngima and Lopsang?
(a) 30 and 25.
(b) 26 and 23.
(c) 35 and 18.
(d) 40 and 32.
3. One guide suggested, "One cannot be certain how any climber will perform. Good climbers sometimes failed, while marginal climbers succeeded through ____."
4. What outdoor sport did Klev participate in?
(a) Downhill skiing.
(d) Halfpipe snowboarding.
5. What was the name of Fischer's company?
(a) Himalyan Guides.
(b) Adventure Consultants.
(c) Mountain Madness.
(d) Extreme Sports.
6. What was a typical meal on the mountain?
(a) Rice, lentils, soup, and vegetables.
(b) Pasta, meatballs, and garlic bread.
(c) Eggs, sausage, and potatoes.
(d) Steak, potatoes, and toast.
7. How was base camp alerted to the problem with Ngawang Topche Sherpa?
(a) Another Sherpa.
(b) Satellite phone.
(c) Adventure Consultants.
8. What did Boukreev feel it was important to encourage?
(a) Following a structured and set path.
(b) Team members working together.
(c) Reliance on the guides.
(d) Independent action.
9. What caused problems at the beginning of Chapter 5, The Trail to Everest?
10. What was Ngima Kale in charge of?
(a) Base camp.
(c) High altitude.
(d) Food preparation.
11. What piece of equipment was of concern to Boukreev?
12. Who did Boukreev assist down from Camp III because of altitude sickness?
13. Whom was Boukreev concerned about, in Chapter 8, Khumbu to Cam II?
(a) Dale and Pete.
(b) None. He was confident in all of the climbers.
(c) Sandy and Lene.
(d) Charlotte and Sandy.
14. Boukreev's acclimation plan included how many ascents?
15. What did Fischer ask Boukreev to do more of?
(a) Help the clients.
(b) Satellite radio interviews with NBC.
(c) Prepare meals.
(d) Climb higher and set more ropes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bourkeev's role in the book?
2. Before the Everest climb, what was Boukreev's reaction to Fischer asking him to secure clients for another climb after Everest?
3. What was the fee to climb with Fischer's company?
4. Why was Fischer eager to have Krakauer?
5. Where was Lee Gammelgaard from?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)