|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dara asks Chnay in what direction her family went, what does he answer?
2. What does Dara want to teach her daughter?
3. What does Duoic finally do for himself after he had tried to get someone else to do it for him?
4. How often does Mother visit Dara after they return home?
5. What are the girls taking turns doing when they are walking in the forest toward the base camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sarun and his family leave the campsite at Nong Chan?
2. What do Dara and Chnay see when they get part way into the forest on their way to find Sarun and the family?
3. What do Dara and Nea do after they finish loading the ox carts for the trip home?
4. What happens at the end of the fourth day?
5. What happens to Dara and Sarun when they return to Siem Reap?
6. What does Chnay tell Dara when she accuses him of breaking the clay dolls?
7. Describe the chores Dara is ordered to do by the bad-tempered cook in the kitchen the first day?
8. What does Jantu request that Dara do at the end of Chapter 16?
9. What tragic event happens in the forest after the sun has gone down when Dara, Nea, Jantu and Baby are returning to the base camp?
10. Where does the cook take Dara on the second afternoon and what does she have to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
.1. Who went to see Sarun at the military demonstration and who remained at the camp? Why?
2. What were Jantu's comments about the speech that she and Dara heard over the loudspeakers at the base camp? Do you agree with her? Do you think Jantu or Dara was the true heroine of the book?
3. What had happened during the 10 years after Dara and her family and Nea and her family had been at the border? Who had married? How many children?
Essay Topic 2
1. Describe the significance of the cowbell and the direction from which its tinkling was coming.
2. Describe the happier times Dara remembered when she was two or three years old. How was her village and her family at that time?
3. Describe the Communist soldiers who came into Dara's village. How were they dressed? What did they tell the villagers?
4. Write on two of the above topics.
Essay Topic 3
1. What was the lunch truck?
2. Describe the various things Sarun, Mother, Nea and Dara did to build a shelter.
3. Describe what Dara saw when she went with Grandpa Kem and Sarun to get the rice.
4. Choose two of the above topics to write about.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)